Got $350 left....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Feb 27, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm just about done switching my Canon over to the GX7. I have one more lens to sell is all.

I ended up going with this kit (some of which are still not here):

Samyang 7.5mm (not ordered yet)
    PL 15mm f1.7
    Olympus 25mm f1.8
    Olympus 45mm f1.8
    Panasonic 14-42 II (came with GX7)
    Panasonic 45-150 (not ordered yet)
    Panasonic FL-360L (not ordered yet)

With what I have left after selling my other stuff, that puts me at about $350. I was thinking I'd add a 75mm f1.8, but obviously that leaves me short about $300 for a used one. The thing is that if I don't spend it on my kit now, it goes back into the shared bank account and it will be gone. My wife will find something to spend it on.

What else should I add that costs about $350 and would provide benefit to the kit? And again, I can't spend ANY more, but anything I don't spend will be gone.
  2. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Have you considered maybe a non Panasonic Flash? The Nissin Flash Di-466 is pretty good, I have one and I love it, and it's like $120 new? that adds around another 100 to the 300 you have left meaning you would only be paying another 200 out of pocket if you get the 75mm.
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    How much do you shoot ultra-wide angle? The Samyang fisheye is a nice lens, but if you think you'll shoot portraits more perhaps it makes sense to forego the Samyang, get the cheaper flash as has been suggested and then use the remainder for the 75mm. Just a thought.
  4. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro. It gets you a wonderful portrait prime and a macro lens in one, and it's right in line with your price. Call it the poor man's 75mm :)

Or the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 -- great portrait/general purpose lens but no macro, and even cheaper. Call it a poorer man's 60mm :) Spend the rest on accessories.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I would probably go with a 2nd body (or put it in a savings account where neither of you will spend it :))
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would skip/sell 14-42 zoom and 25mm prime and got 12-35mm f2.8
  7. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Considered 45-175 instead?
  8. tkbslc

I have $128 in Adorama credit and $90 in Amazon credit I was going to use towards the Samyang and flash which means it's not all cash I can use toward a used 75mm. I could do 9mm BCL for free at Amazon, so that would save $140.

Truthfully, I don't do a lot of UWA, but I like having something.

I have, but I'm dead set on having bounce and swivel capability. Someone suggested a used FL-36R which might work, but as I said above, I was going to use $128 in credit at Adorama effectively making the FL360R $100.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I was never fully satisfied by f2.8 standard zooms on 1.6x crop and I can only imagine f2.8 would feel even less adequate on 2x crop. I'm only keeping the 14-42 for stabilized video, really.
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unless you do a lot of wide shooting, I'd pass on the Samyang and get the 9mm FE BCL. I made a thread talking about the 9mm FE BCL, defishing it, and even using filters with it (that way I can do long exposures with the filter attached, and then defish in to a really wide rectilinear image).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Maybe light weight but good tripod for mirror less?
    A hand strap with nice fit easy access bag.
    Since gx7 has 1/8000 shutter, you still need ND filters for silky, Polarized filter.
  11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    12-35mm zoom (and 12-40) is just as good as 25mm prime at same focal length, but it's up to you.
    There is nothing rectilinear below 14mm in that setup, but may be you just not into wide angle.
  12. tkbslc

It's not the sharpness, it's the aperture. I just always find DOF control and shutter speed options lacking for indoor use with a f2.8 wide-standard zoom.

I have thought maybe I should swap the 14-42 for the 12-32 (or 12-50), but I can do that anytime as it's a fairly cheap swap down the road. Obviously I felt I'd get more use out of a 15mm than a 12mm high end prime. I've owned UWA on the DSLR and all got maybe 10 shots a year. It's something I like, but don't use much. I actually really like telephoto compression on landscapes more than crazy UWA exaggeration.
  13. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Someone mentioned in the "Hot Deals" forum that the Panasonic DMW-BLE9 is going for $11 on Amazon. It has slightly less capacity than the standard GX7 battery, but is much cheaper for a real Panasonic battery. I'd recommend at least one spare, and perhaps two. Battery life on the mu43 bodies isn't great.

Would you have any use for the Panasonic 100-300 instead of the 45-150? Especially if you've got the 45mm and may get the 75mm later?

Or as someone else suggested, the 45-175 powerzoom, especially if you might use it for video?

$350 Amazon Gift Card for later use? (Or buy a nice used lens and save it for trading in later if that feels less sneaky?)
  14. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    I'd say still get the Samyang 7.5 mm, its image quality is great and it is quite fun. Even if you only use it occasionally it is worth the money IMHO.

Personally, I'd get the 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 instead of the 45-150mm. Size wise they are about the same and there is about $300 difference in price, but it gives you a single lens option for travelling, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So, $350 left to spend. Do you have a good tripod? Filters (3 stop ND, CPL, 10 stop ND)? An extra battery or two?

Unless you do a lot of wide angle photography, I would pass on the Samyang FE and go with an Olympus BCL FE. I also would skip the 45-150 and get a 45-175 PZ instead (it doesn't extend while zooming, has Power OIS rather than Mega OIS, has nano surface coatings on the elements, and has an extra 25mm on the tele end).

If you need a good, small tripod I'd check out the Sirui T-005K. It's a great "medium" tripod that's small and lightweight, and comes with a ball head.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    I really like the 60mm 2.8 recommendation. It really is a wonderful lens. And if you ate at all interested in macro it's a nice add to your kit.

But if I was going to mix things up I would ditch the fisheye, get the Oly 40-150R instead of the 45-150mm saving another$100 and get the 75mm. It's the closest you'll get to full frame-like renderings and I bet would get more use then the fisheye.
  17. tkbslc

Thanks for all the replies. They really got me thinking. So I normally don't have more than $400-500 a year to put toward gear. Right now I have quite a bit because I spent that much and sold 8 years of accumulated SLR gear. I may not have $600-700 at once to buy the 75mm f1.8 for a long time. But I have it now - if I don't buy the Fisheye and telephoto. By summer, I could probably spare $200 for one of those, and then get the other one for Christmas or something. So basically what I'm saying is that if I go with the fisheye and telephoto and add something else I don't really need, it's still going to be hard to get the 75 any time soon. If I get the 75 now, I can likely add the other lenses within a year. I know I need the flash now, because I use bounce flash a lot.

I also have a dance recital coming up and the 75mm seems like the ideal lens for that. I think I'm settled.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Get the's a gem of a lens.
  19. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Sounds like it is now or never on the 75mm, so now looks like the best option :biggrin: The fisheye and telephoto are relatively easy to pick up used, so if you decide you need one later then it shouldn't be hard to find one at a price you can afford.
  20. tkbslc

Truth be told, I could probably afford it later just fine. It's the guilt trip from the Mrs. that I can avoid if I do it now! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1