1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gorilla-pod Question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 369, Apr 15, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Does anyone here use a Gorillapod, if so which one do you use? I am thinking of getting a gorilla-pod instead of a tripod to use it with my E-P1.

What are your thoughts? I don't need to use a tripod all the time and I am thinking with the gorilla-pod it will be easier to carry and lightweight.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have one. I also have a full tripod. For some things the gorillapod is better, for some the full tripod. The irony is I almost never use either, but each is occasionally indispensable. I forget the details of the gorillapod line, but IIRC, I got the second size up. The really tiny ones aren't gonna support an m43 cam very well and the full sized DSLR models are overkill. The one I have is somewhere in the middle and its handled everything I've tried on it, up to a GH2 with the Olympus 14-150 and the ep2 with the Panasonic 45-200 (not sure which presented the bigger challenge).

-Ray

3. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    TBH I have never gotten on with my G/Pod. It is ok as a tripod, but when you are in a situation where you have to wrap the legs around things for a stable environment......it is quite awkward. So, from me.....5/10

4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    The majority of my work is outdoors and I thought it might be useful as a light alternative. Its not too bad if there's no wind, but the slightest breeze and the camera starts wobbling. Its a flexible tough little thing but not the most useful.

5. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I have the 2nd from the biggest one, since I don't need one to hold massive zoom lenses. Make sure you get the some sort of ballhead on it, though. It's going to make composing and framing so much easier. Way more easier!

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I love my Gorillapod. I have the SLR version and it holds my GH2 with the 14-140mm lens just fine.

7. vtmullins

vtmullins Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    I have the slightly less than heavy duty one. works well w/ ep2 and pancake.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I have both a mini and an SLR, I use the mini with my iphone alot, but the SLR gathers dust.

BK

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I use the gorillapod slr with the epl-1, works well. If you use large MF lens the SLR Zoom works well

10. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks, I think I will go with the gorillapod SLR. I don't have large MF lens, just the kit lens and will add the 20mm.

11. jopasm

jopasm New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2011
    I have a small one I used with a P&S camera. The joint just below the camera mount on mine cracked within a week. I called Joby and they sent me a new one, no questions asked and no need to return the old one. I haven't purchased an SLR model (yet) but I was very satisfied with their customer service.

EDIT:

The new gorillapad held up fine and has seen occasional use over the past couple of years. Apparently they had a bad run of plastic. The current production ones should be fine, but if you do have a problem they seem to stand behind their products.

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    That works just fine with your setup.

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Yeah, I had a crack on one of my pod's they replaced it without any hassle. Seems they just had a bad batch, couple years back. The new ones I have had been hassle free.

14. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I've used mine less than I expected. In most cases, I could have carried and used a tripod. I also have a smaller flexible tripod designed for compacts that works OK in a pinch and is much easier to carry, although it does require a relatively flat surface. In hindsight, I don't think the gorillapod was a good purchase for me.

I have the SLR model (not SLR Zoom) and it seems to hold my E-PL2 + lens fairly well.

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    actually you do not need a flat surface for it to work, just spade out the legs, and put a bend in the legs, eat at a different point in the leg to get it relatively level. Then adjust the head. I put them on the ground allot when hiking.

16. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I like my gorillapod, but I do find that it's a bit of a hassle without the ballhead. As soon as you have the legs just right, you then realise that the camera is at a wierd angle.. you adjust the camera, and then you have to adjust the legs again... and so on.

So, I have been looking to attach a ballhead to my Gorillapod (GP2). I have very little knowledge of tripods and ballheads, but this one is the only one I found to be paired with a GP2:

Giottos MH1304-110C Professional Mini Ball Head

Has anyone attached a ballhead to the GP2?

17. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    I have the SLR zoom with the ballhead. Have only had it a few weeks but really like it so far. Portability was important for me.

18. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Ditto, but I find a Gorillapod SLR to large for my shoulder bag, so tend not to carry it.

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have the largest, the SLR that I use with a small Cullman ball head that I got with a set of Cullman accessories several years ago. I bought it to use with my Canon SLR - mostly for low to the ground landscape shots. It is substantial enough for my E-PL1 and helps when using adapted lenses. It is a bit heavy, but attaches easily to the straps of my sling bag and makes a nice addition to a monopod on a hike.

20. cedge

cedge New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2012
    Dorset, UK
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, has anyone got away with just using the Gorillapod Original with the PEN E-PL2 or similar?