Gorgeous is Foxy

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
Ron, I am sure that you could set down in any landscape and produce stunningly beautiful images like these.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more wonderful Alaskan wildlife shots from you.

Phocal

God
Ron, I am sure that you could set down in any landscape and produce stunningly beautiful images like these.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more wonderful Alaskan wildlife shots from you.

Thanks, really appreciate the comment.

You are welcome and I do hope to keep the shots coming. Will be slow at first, have a lot to learn about where to go but I am learning more every day. I also work at the perfect place to learn about sightings of things on the trails in the area.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
pretty easy to tell them apart by not just size but also mannerisms and attitude
Hmm. Caution might be wise as, exclusive of a few activities like nursing kits, none of these are effective predictors of gender. I'm not aware of any studies of red foxes in Alaska but size studies like Takeuchi 2010 and Murdoch 2009 all report extensively overlapped distributions.

While it is sad that a wild animal is so habituated to humans, it is nice when it comes to photographing them.
Considering Alaska's fur farming history, the location, and the fox's appearance and choices this might also be something to be cautious of. More in Lord 2019.

Phocal

God
Hmm. Caution might be wise as, exclusive of a few activities like nursing kits, none of these are effective predictors of gender. I'm not aware of any studies of red foxes in Alaska but size studies like Takeuchi 2010 and Murdoch 2009 all report extensively overlapped distributions.

While size is not an indicator...…………………...in this instance it is. The male is significantly bigger than the female (most likely because she is one of his off spring), this is from a gentlemen who has walked this trail for 20+ years and knows the foxes well. His house is right at the trail the head and they regularly come into is yard to hunt, especially in the spring with the young. The male also follows him every day when he takes his dog for a walk on the trail. Once gender is determined, difference in coat pattern make it easy to identify which is which...……….along with mannerisms and attitude of the individual.

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great shots Ronnie. I've been pretty absent from photography lately, too (I haven't even picked up my long lens for many months). Your post reminds me that I really need to get back out there. It looks like my Houston travel might be picking up again (sitting in Hobby airport right now, actually, trying to solve my delayed flight frustration with margaritas), so I'll have to shoot some gators in your honor. There are big mountains in AK, don't forget to climb, too. Good luck in the new location.

Phocal

God
Great shots Ronnie. I've been pretty absent from photography lately, too (I haven't even picked up my long lens for many months). Your post reminds me that I really need to get back out there. It looks like my Houston travel might be picking up again (sitting in Hobby airport right now, actually, trying to solve my delayed flight frustration with margaritas), so I'll have to shoot some gators in your honor. There are big mountains in AK, don't forget to climb, too. Good luck in the new location.

Thanks and good luck with the gator photos, I am going to miss photographing them. Hope you delay wasn’t to long.

Already planning a climbing trip with some co-workers. Only catch is I need to get some ice climbing gear.

Thanks, so far it’s been great. Hoping to go camping here soon. Love snow camping.

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
wonderful experience accompanied by fantastic shots! i wish i can see this in Singapore though.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
Great shots. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what had happened to you as I always looked forward to seeing your work.

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Truly a master lesson in focus and balancing exposure in snow - thank you so much.

Now if this is your start for wildlife photography in Alaska - just think what opportunities come next: you have over 430 species of birds including the largest bald eagle population in North America
Happy Christmas - Paul C

Phocal

God
Great shots. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what had happened to you as I always looked forward to seeing your work.

Thank you and you are welcome. Hopefully it will not be very long before the next thread.

Phocal

God
Truly a master lesson in focus and balancing exposure in snow - thank you so much.

Thank you, appreciate the comment. Having everything white does pose some challenges for photography.

Now if this is your start for wildlife photography in Alaska - just think what opportunities come next: you have over 430 species of birds including the largest bald eagle population in North America
Happy Christmas - Paul C

The number one animal to photograph is the Wolverine. There is just something about them that makes want to track one down and photograph it. It is going to be a challenge just finding one, let alone getting good photographs. I have learned of an area with some Lynx, so that will probably be the next animal to get photographed..........other than moose, can’t help but see them everywhere here.

Happy Christmas to. You as well.

Phocal

God
no wild ones, probably just in the zoo. we are mostly concrete jungle in Singapore.

that sucks. Singapore is one of my favorite places I’ve visited. Will admit to never making out of the city tho.

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Gees, gorgeous is right for sure Ron! Stunning sharp shots of one beautiful fox. Enjoying your new surroundings and what a difference it must be from Florida. Totally new opportunities, but no gators mate :)

Yeah would love to meet up with Eric as well and you of course. Maybe one day mate :)

All the best Ron, really stunning shots.

Danny.

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you, appreciate the comment. Having everything white does pose some challenges for photography.

The number one animal to photograph is the Wolverine. There is just something about them that makes want to track one down and photograph it. It is going to be a challenge just finding one, let alone getting good photographs. I have learned of an area with some Lynx, so that will probably be the next animal to get photographed..........other than moose, can’t help but see them everywhere here.

Happy Christmas to. You as well.
Best of luck with that wolverine challenge - something tells me it will not be easy. How do you get close to a wolverine?
  • Our local wildlife centre (Bristol Wild Place, UK) has just created a huge wood with bears, lynx, wolves and wolverines and a high level walkway.
  • Turn up very early on a cold overcast day with a warm coat and hat, a long lens and a monopod and you have the place to yourself.
    • perhaps I shouldn't have said that - see you all there then!
    • The overcast day is a bonus for more than just keeping the fellow humans at home - bright sunlight falling between trees and branches has a very wide exposure range and so woodland and forest photography is notoriously difficult to get right....so an overcast evenly lit sky is ironically a great photo-benefit for more than just solitary peace.
  • The bears, lynx & wolves positively pose for a picture - but the wolverines spend their time up trees as far away as possible - all I get to photograph after many visits are silhouettes half obscured by foliage glimpsed at 250m distance
Is there a wolverine guru out there who can explain the natural history and behaviour of wolverines - and how best to get a glimpse of more than just a shadow?
  • Is there a time of day or season when they get most active?
  • Do they mistrust humans so much that you need to go on days when the wind blows our scent away from the wolverines?
    • NB - the Female Lynx positively loves scent - the centre uses the cheapest "Primark" scent to mark trees and the Lynx rushes up and rubs it into her fur! I don't know what the US equivalent of "Primark Brand Scent" is - but there's a hint to try yourself!

The praise for focus accuracy was real - the trouble with photographing furry long-nosed animals at a is that there is a lot for the auto focus to lock onto - not just the dominant eye or the tip of the nose! Get some depth of field - set F8.0 and use a monopod is my best advice!
  • In the fluffy animal pantheon - Cats are a bit easier for the AF - they have much "flatter" face profiles and have a habit of sitting still and doing nothing for long periods of time (or is it that they are sitting and thinking?).

Best of luck - Paul

Last edited:

Phocal

God
Gees, gorgeous is right for sure Ron! Stunning sharp shots of one beautiful fox. Enjoying your new surroundings and what a difference it must be from Florida. Totally new opportunities, but no gators mate :)

Yeah would love to meet up with Eric as well and you of course. Maybe one day mate :)

All the best Ron, really stunning shots.

Danny.

Thanks Danny, really appreciate the comment. By the way, hope you are not close to that volcano that exploded. A good friend is down that way visiting and was at the volcano a few days before it exploded.

I know, no gators but I will find other things to get me excited. Looking forward to the puffins and the bears, but honestly I am not that into the bears. Everyone has photos of them, sure I can put my spin on them and I am sure they will be great. But I want to photograph the things others ignore, like my gators.

It was great meeting Eric and hope to go shooting with him soon.

Thanks again Danny,

Ronnie

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Thanks Danny, really appreciate the comment. By the way, hope you are not close to that volcano that exploded. A good friend is down that way visiting and was at the volcano a few days before it exploded.

I know, no gators but I will find other things to get me excited. Looking forward to the puffins and the bears, but honestly I am not that into the bears. Everyone has photos of them, sure I can put my spin on them and I am sure they will be great. But I want to photograph the things others ignore, like my gators.

It was great meeting Eric and hope to go shooting with him soon.

Thanks again Danny,

Ronnie

Ahhh White Island. No that's well off the coast and further up north to where we are. What a mess !!

Eric is a darn nice guy and also very interesting life style he has between NZ and Alaska. Great BIF shooter as well. Puffins will be fun mate. Gorgeous birds they are. Bears are always great to see for sure. You've gone in a 100% turnaround Ron with that life style. Looking forward to what you take mate. Times are interesting Ron ;)

All the best ............. waaaaay up north :)

Danny.

Latest threads

Top Bottom