1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gordy Strap... which to get?!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jay86, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Ok so I was thinking of grabbing a wrist strap for my E-M5. Now I have pretty big hands, usually wear a large or x-large glove depending on the glove. So I was thinking I would grab the "long" version but now Im thinking maybe I should get the x-long. I also use my E-M5 with the HLD6 grip at times so not sure which would be better for that. Would hate to get a bigger strap than needed.

Anyone have both size straps and have any first hand experience perhaps?

Input appreciated...... Thanks!

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I've got a bunch of his wrist straps and a longer shoulder strap. They're all pretty good but the shoulder strap is probably a little longer than I need - the camera hangs just below my hip. I'd suggest using some string or cord to mock up the strap to suit your needs and measuring the resultant length - then see which Gordys will suit best.

3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    This is a great idea.... Thanks for it! I will definitely give that a go. Can you or anyone else tell me how long the part where the threads end on his wrist strap for lug mount are? That way I can make a pretty accurate replica with a thread at home.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Looks like 5cm from loop to rubber ring. The larger wrist loop is about 15cm in length. I find the leather quite stiff but it softens with wear.

P3294312.jpg

What I also ended up doing is buying 30m of black paracord - now I just make my own simple wrist straps. Not as cool as Gordys but a lot cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I bought the regular length ones. Should have gotten the longer one. I didn't think my hands were that big. My fingers aren't long, but I guess my hands are wide. I should have done the measuring thing. My straps are still usable, but the longer ones would be easier for me.

6. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Yep. I just posted a how-to here: CLICKY

7. PhotoBug

PhotoBug Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Ontario
    Grass is always greener.... i borrowed a friend's regular, and I have average sized hands. It felt a bit snug or not just slip on to get the strap on.

I purchased the long with the wrist pad (yes I know not necessary for the u43 but gives me more flexibility for later). I found the long is too long and yes its easy to slip on, but that also means easy to slip off. So I'll be cinching it up frequently with the rubber grommet.

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, maybe I'm better off with the one I have then :hmmm:

9. Bull Winkle

Bull Winkle Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2014
    SoCal
    I have the sling strap and x long wrist strap. Very happy with my purchase. Great quality. I have large hands, the x long might be a little big but if I'm out in the cold I will be able t5o use this strap with gloves and with the rubber grommet cinch it up if needed when not using gloves.

10. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    ^^^ Thanks for the input all :)

Special Thanks to you phigmov for that picture, much appreciated! And the idea! Will make a couple replica's to size with thread today and test!