1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gordon's Bay

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Jul 17, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Gordon's Bay Clovelly (a suburb of Sydney) is a spot very few know about, quite secluded yet in a built up area and unsual for a spot in Australia having timber ramps to keep small boats high and dry. This bay is open to the ocean but well protected as it is very shallow.

I was expecting it to be dark but alas the council has stuck in those yucky sodium vapour lamps which have proved difficult to deal with.

This panorama is pieced together from a around 5 frames taken with my Olympus E-P1 and 9-18mm lens set to 9mm.

4803709032_1830a8eb3c_o.

• Like Like x 4
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Apart from those street lights a nicely exposed capture with good detail at all levels.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    Hi Peter,

Actually, I think the those pesky sodium lamps actually add something - the houses at the back aren't really that interesting anyway :smile:

Gordon's Bay is a great little spot. We've walked the coastal track around the beaches there - a great day out.

BTW, I note you use Picasa, but what did you use to stitch the frames?

• Like Like x 1
  4. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Actually my processing at the moment is a real dog's breakfast. I am trying to learn Photoshop CS5 but some things like colour temperature control I am quite unhappy with.

I have yet to develop a good workflow and this may sound very chaotic and certainly is only a tempory (and quite fluid thing).

I used Olympus Viewer 2 to convert the RAW images to TIFs.

Brought the 5 frames into Photoshop CS5 using the Photomerge function. Initally it looks crap on the screen but seems to be fair enough in practice. I guess that's a 'feature' of CS5. I have generally used ArcSoft Panorama Maker 4 in the past which I think goes a slightly better job. I don't bother with the Olympus panorama stuff any more as I don't like using it under those conditions as has too many undersirable side effects, i.e. you have to use the Panorama Scene Mode and that ups the ISO, opens up the aperture, increases the shutter speed and turns on the autofocus. As you can imagine with a shot before 'first light' would be a mess.

I did a bit of image clean up and de-noise work in Photoshop CS5 but just cannot get the hang of the colour temperature adjustments in that program. I know I could have done it in Olympus Viewer 2 in the first place but chose to batch process all my shots with common settings.

I then played with it in PaintShop Pro to get a reasonable compromise in the colour balance and converted it to JPEG.

Basically all I did in Picasa was a final adjustment on the crop and export the image to a lower resolution for uploading to the Internet.

It has to be the least efficient processing imaginable but the end result is OK.

5. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Yeah, they sure are. My understanding is that the sodium vapor streetlights emit only a very narrow band of the light spectrum, so there just aren't any other colors there to work with. There's yellow-orange and nothing else. Astronomers like it when nearby cities are illuminated with sodium lights because it's easily filtered out.

Gordon

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Peter,
    From a city guy, the lights work fine. They let the eyes dance thru the image......
    They even add details to areas that would be lost without them.....
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I like this image a lot as someone else said...the lights take you through the picture.

Cloverlly Cornwall is a beautiful place but a little bit older and a great deal rockier!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks guys. I have no issue with the placement of the lights, they do fine in that respect.

The reason they use sodium vapour lighting is that it emits a narrow band of yellow-amber light at a frequency most receptive to human vision. That means they can have a much lower power rating and save money. Unfortuanatly that same characteristic renders the scene towards monochromatic. A few people I usually shoot with just turn such images into black & white.

Cheers

PeterB666

9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love the colours made by the reflection of the lights on the water. Beautiful.