1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Google Photos - Unlimited Storage Of Photos Up To 16Mb and HD Videos

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, May 29, 2015.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    http://www.google.com/photos/about/

Google is getting into photo and video hosting in a big way. Google has offered photo storage for some time, but there were various restrictions and so it wasn't that popular. Now it appears that Google is taking aim at Flickr, Vimeo, etc. Android and iOS apps are available.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The services sound useful if you don't already have editing software. However, and for what it's worth, Google has had fishy Terms of Service for a while with respect to copyright and licensing, much like Facebook. Perpetual licensing makes me wary:
    Not that I'm a professional or currently making money off of my photography (though I am a professional designer)...but the idea of retaining license to reproduce my content long after I've left your service makes me feel a bit disrespected. Last I read Flickr's ToS, they were much more amenable to the needs of creative professionals, and offer essentially infinite storage as well. That's why I use them.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Terms of service like these have been discussed in the past ad nauseum. The bottom line is that there are a lot of things that the services need to have rights to do to your stored bits on their servers in order to even operate. Otherwise, if they wished to migrate your images from one server to another or back it up to a different drive or storage device, they would need your permission every time to do that...and then not just yours, but also the other 999 million people (and growing) would have to sign off every time as well. Same goes for testing or developing a new service. They would need to get everyone's permission to even use the images they have to test the product.

Technically, even uploading images here to this forum requires you to grant certain rights to the owner, the hosting company in order to enjoy what it is we have here.

I've been working in the IT industry for 20+ years and those terms of service are really needed to just host and maintain the data there. The only way around them would be to have your own outward facing storage connected to a computer system you own.

Most people have a bigger chance of their images being stolen from their own website than to be used nefariously by Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple, 500px, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Why is it that Flickr can offers its extensive services (and in fact is still the 2nd largest photo-sharing service beyond Instagram) without resorting to those same terms, then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Google Quote

Google Photos gives you a single, private place to keep a lifetime of memories, and access them from any device. They’re automatically backed up and synced, so you can have peace of mind that your photos are safe, available across all your devices.

And when we say a lifetime of memories, we really mean it. With Google Photos, you can now backup and store unlimited, high-quality photos and videos, for free. We maintain the original resolution up to 16MP for photos, and 1080p high-definition for videos, and store compressed versions of the photos and videos in beautiful, print-quality resolution.

That is a pretty cool service, all my past and present 4/3 and micro 4/3 photos stored for free . A really nice back up solution for my needs.

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm still clinging on to Picasa, in spite of their drive to push me into Google+. It'll be interesting to see how Photos plays into this ecosystem.

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Sure. They've been discussed ad nauseum. And they will continue to be so. Because when it comes to companies like Google:

If it's free, then you're the product.

The question is how comfortable you are with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    The ToS may be unsuitable for professionals. Great for amateurs. Also, Google does specify what they plan to use them. YMMV - you don't get something for nothing. Free, unlimited hosting is a pretty good deal.

9. dccase

dccase Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Massachusetts, USA
    It looks like if you upload photos larger than 2048x2048 through Picasa, they still count against your storage quota. That includes the excellent jfPicassaWeb plugin for Lightroom.

Also, the nice (Snapseed) editing tools were removed, along with ChromeCast support. They will probably be added back later, but right now, the new Google Photos is a good advertisement for Flikr.

10. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Sorry but that does not wash with me ... moving is fine, but modifying etc has nothing at all to do with moving from one server to another ... The way I read these terms and conditions any user is giving over all rights to the content and Google can do as it wishes with that content.

It comes down to whether this bothers the user or not I guess.

Andrew

11. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I just visited my Google Photos account which I guess is my old Picasa account now re-badged Google Photos as this is where I ended up when I went to Google Photos. When I click through to settings it is not offering unlimited storage unless I select "reduced file size" which they label "High quality."

The alternative is:

Original (22.8 GB storage left). Buy more storage
    Full resolution that counts against your quota

Maybe the new Google Photos T&C is still to kick in.

Andrew

12. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't trust Google further than I can spit.