1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Google just made the entire Nik collection free...

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by gpburdell, Mar 24, 2016.

1. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    From: Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free. Photo…

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This probably means no new updates, but very nice collection to get for free!

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Interesting....probably come a catch down the line.

Anyhow,
    Can someone explain what this offers that Lightroom can't do? I've seen people swear by some of these (mainly Silver FX) who also use Lightroom, but I feel like Lightroom pretty much offers everything in one package that Nik charged more $$ for separately. I never looked that deeply into them, because they seemed overpriced and redundant. I guess the HDR might be useful, but you can get HDR plug ins for LR as well. Some of these just seem like saved LR presets basically. Am I wrong? or were these more designed to be used in conjunction with PS or others or stand alone?

4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Biggest thing for me is the control points which you can think of as smart masks based on texture/color/luminosity. It's far quicker/easier to do edits like bring a background up/down yet leave something else in the frame untouched. In Viveza you can also control specific colors which with LR + masks is very limited. Certainly some can behave like filters because there are presets, but's it's so much more powerful than that. I suggest looking at some google videos on it's operation. I guess you can get away with LR + masks but nik takes it to another level.

I paid the $150 for it a while back and don't regret it, for free its a no brainer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    After editing an image in one of the plug-ins, does it still remain a RAW file, or does it render it to a TIFF or JPEG? Say I'm using LR as my host application, and then select Edit In Nik Software, when I click OK after making the changes in Nik, am I still left with a RAW image, or is it now a JPEG?

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The edited image is a TIFF copy.

7. tkbslc

To elaborate a little on what TNcasual said, LR generates a TIFF or JPEG file using your RAW edit settings to send over to NIK. Changes made and saved in NIK apply only to that new TIFF/JPEG file. By default it is stacked with the RAW file as a version, but the RAW file is not altered.

That is the general workflow for any external LR edits.

Since these can also be Photoshop plugins, sometimes it makes more sense to apply the filters inside Photoshop while you are doing any other final edits so there are less steps involved.

8. I've always launched the Nik plugins in Photoshop, on tiff files that have been exported from Lightroom.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Thanks for the heads up. A very nice addition for aperture.

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    yay, have been meaning to check these out for a while, now it's free, there's no excuse not to get it. How do you guys find their denoising tool?

Any links to good video tutorials?

11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @hazwing@hazwing, there are a number of youtube videos from Google going through various steps of their software that should help you get started.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Woll the Nik suite work with Apple's Photos program?

13. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    While silver efex pro is fantastic, my most used are probably some of the adjustments in Color efex pro. Contrast Color Range, Polarization, Pro Contrast, Remove Color Cast, and Tonal Contrast give much more control than lightroom. I've only just started to play with the denoise and sharpening, but it looks to do a better job than LR

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just downloaded and tried it inside PS... kind of slow. It also seems I've practiced my RAW processing in ACR to the point where only a few of tools would even be worthwhile using considering the extra complication to the workflow... I'd have loved it if like VSCO it could operate as a RAW processor output plugin without intermediate TIFFs.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tkbslc

Gotta hand it to Google's data center. I'm sure they are getting slammed, and they still delivered a 500MB download to me at my full 40Mbit.

16. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    No, it's a set of Lightroom / Photoshop plugins.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I don't know that it can do much that LR can't, but the control points make the suite. People who can't see the point of the software need to learn more about the Control Points (even if it ends up they don't like it).

I agree with Color Efx. I didn't get it at first, but as I go along the learning curve it's by far my most used one. Actually, Silver EFX I hadn't had much luck with.

18. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    And Aperture I am very pleased to note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, that's why I asked about Photos.

20. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The installer only recognizes Aperture unfortunately, not Photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1