1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Google Buys Nik, don't think I like this

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Oopsydaisy74, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree with you.

article says they bought Nik for snapseed!

Does that mean the rest of the suite gets ignored?!?!?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    WOW! I'm far less concerned about what they'll do to snapseed than what they'd do or WON'T do with the other Nik products. I'm sure they see snapseed as the potential profit center and I'd be EXTREMELY bummed if they let the more powerful Nik plug-ins to die on the vine. Man, my whole workflow revolves around those tools!

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ah man... I can't help but wonder (and worry) what this will mean for the Nik Software suite of tools.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the idea is to hijack Snapseed and at least portions of the desktop suite functionality for use in conjunction with Picasa.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, I'd be most worried about the stuff they're not interested in. I've been thinking of giving Silver Efex a shot, but this makes me want to be doubly cautious. Plus I like owning my software, not having my eyeballs rented to advertisers, which seems to be the google MO.

DH

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, here's a bright side: Maybe Google will make all the Nik stuff free out of the gate (before killing it). I could use the B&W module.

7. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Yes, not good news. OnOne and Topaz likely to benefit from this. The owners have hit the jackpot, the users likely just the pot

• Like Like x 2
  8. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Picasa could be pretty powerful with some Nik processing algorithms bolted on.

9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Weird. That's like Ford buying the entirety Olympus camera + endoscopes, just for their cameras business, so they can add cameras to their rear bumpers like Cadillac. (I kid I kid :wink:)

I couldn't care less about snapseed either, but maybe they'll use some of the nik software and integrate it into picasa? ...which I don't use either.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Nope, can't say that I'm happy about this.

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    On one hand, Google seems to have been pushing photography on Google+ ... they seem like they are at last trying to be a little less evil here.

On the other hand, Google wants to move everything to the cloud, including, applications. That doesn't bode well for my Nik Lightroom plugins.

12. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Unless the parts of an acquired business they aren't interested in are losing money, Google usually don't mess too much with them. Maybe snapseed will see further integration with google services, particularly google+. It's worth remembering that google makes about as much if not more money from iOS as Android too, and where they produce apps on both platforms, they generally don't favour one over the other.

13. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    I see this as a good thing,no doubt google bought it for snapseed and its resources in the mobile market, but what it can incorporate into picasa will be cool to see along with its money to put into making Nik even stronger as a photo software.

14. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    This is best case scenario, let's hope you're right

15. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Please google don't screw with Silver Efex!

16. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    That is very disappointing news to hear. I happen to really like Nik software.

17. and any of the other plug-ins.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm excited as this will bring Snapseed to Android (though, an Android version supposedly was already in development) but at the same time, Google's track record with buying companies has.. not been too great for products not were not the direct goal for Google.

I don't really use these plugins anymore, but I can't help but think we won't see more than one or two updates maybe, if that =( Though, honestly, I would have figured Adobe buy Nik before Google.

19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Maybe NOW is the time to buy, BEFORE they get to scrap it or ruin it! :eek:

I'm on the verge of loosing the hounds on Silver Efex myself.

• Like Like x 1
  20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are companies that make money from products...

There are companies (a newer phenomenon of the digital age) that make money from information...

I'm not too happy with this either.