Goodbye

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dear All,

As some of you know, I recently bought a non-mu43 DSLR and next to that I am also planning to move back to the Netherlands with my whole family (already before the end of this year). Besides some home improvement projects (painting outside + bathroom renovation) I hope to invest more private time into photography (with couple of my Dutch friends) and (also) less into equipment. At least less with respect to mu43, so I thought this is the right time for me to slowly say goodbye here.

Thanks to all members and people contributing to this site in other ways, I enjoyed spending time here and often found the information I was looking for (and hope I helped others properly as well), so summarized a great forum, I was happy to be a part of.

Why no mu43 for me? I am not ready to pay the price premium for compactness and prefer the OVF as well as the larger sensor with larger (for my better) native lens line-up. Although not as compact (already owning a Panasonic LX3), I think I get more for less with the Pentax K-x (+ lenses). And also see less limitation to extend my set to my wishes. Mu-43 is already good (GF2 with 20 mm F1.7 is tempting) and probably will get closer and closer, but I wanted to start now (at my budget, incl OVF).

My set:
- K-x + 18-55 mm II + 50-200 mm kit lenses
- 28 mm A F2.8, 50 mm A F1.4, 135 mm A F2.8, 200 m m M F4 manual focus primes
- Tamron 10-24 mm ultra wide angle auto focus zoom
- External Flash
- Tripod

Planning to buy before the end of the year
- 35 mm F2.4
- IR filter and polarizer (and ND filter)

Dreaming of buying next year
- Fast auto focus tele zoom (F2.8) and/or Fast auto focus portrait prime (50-80 mm range)
- Auto focus macro lens (probably start with extension tubes)

Maybe later
- Auto focus tele prime (200 - 300 mm range)
- Fisheye (< 10 mm)
- More light
- GF3 (with 20 mm F1.7) - 30 m waterproof :wink:

If I don't forget (feel free to remind me (I will get e-mail notice on PM's)) then I will post (links to) some photos here.
- And of course I will follow the mu43 roadmap (need replacement of LX3 in case it dies on me)

Thanks, enjoy, best regards,

Joep

shoturtle

&nbsp;
I shoot a k-x also besides canon and my epl-1.

The DA 55-300 is a much better lens then the 50-200mm, very sharp at 300mm. I use the kit form and it produce very nice results at 300mm.

The pentax is a very good dslr, and has great low light ability. If you add a fast prime of 1.4 or and fast zoom with 2.8. It will give you great low light results.

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I shoot a k-x also besides canon and my epl-1.

The DA 55-300 is a much better lens then the 50-200mm, very sharp at 300mm. I use the kit form and it produce very nice results at 300mm.

The pentax is a very good dslr, and has great low light ability. If you add a fast prime of 1.4 or and fast zoom with 2.8. It will give you great low light results.
Thanks for your reply
- 3 sets is a little too much for me (I will sell my Canon DSLR stuff)
- I bought 50-200 mm used for 50 Euro's, better than 55-300 mm in other aspects... (but I will keep my eyes open for it on the used market - also looking for 18-250 mm!!!)

shoturtle

&nbsp;
yeah the 18-250 is a good lens on the pentax. either the pentax or tamron will work the same, as they are the same lens.

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Joep, You can always come visit us at seriouscompacts.com. :)
Yeah, that is right!!!
- Oh, my LX3 kind of became my wife's LX3 (with leather case and so), that is another reason I didn't go for the GF series, for sure it would have ended up in her bag as well...
- If the LX3 won't die on us then I can only consider a water proof compact. Are those considered serious? IMHO they should be, at least for their applications.

Thanks for your posts and good luck.
Thanks for leaving short message, I also considered upgrading from LX3 to the GF1, a nice camera and sweet match with a 20 mm F1.7 pancake (Besides OVF (very difficult / impossible at that compactness level icw multiple lenses / various focal distances) IMHO only missing IBIS).
- Every time I don't bring my K-x and (/or) see a GF1 I will think about the missed oppertunity...
- But every time I hold my K-x in my hands, I will be happy with it (but probably you will be happy every time you can hold your GF1).

yeah the 18-250 is a good lens on the pentax. either the pentax or tamron will work the same, as they are the same lens.
As good as 55-300 mm?

Oh, just found out the new 35 mm F2.4 won't be available in Japan for another week!!! Grrr.

shoturtle

&nbsp;
close but it does have more distortion as it is a more ambitious lens range. But for a megazoom lens it is pretty good.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, that is right!!!
- Oh, my LX3 kind of became my wife's LX3 (with leather case and so), that is another reason I didn't go for the GF series, for sure it would have ended up in her bag as well...
- If the LX3 won't die on us then I can only consider a water proof compact. Are those considered serious? IMHO they should be, at least for their applications.

Only a serious camera would brave the elements!

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Hi Joep,

All the very best wishes to you and your family. I recall the interview you conducted with me, somewhat challenging at times but all in all very enjoyable, and it took me in directions that I didn't imagine I would go when I agreed to be interviewed.

cheers my friend

Barrie

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
Joep, I'd like to add my best wishes to you and your family in your upcoming move and all the changes that go with it. You're in a busy stage of life with those two little girls and life goes by quickly, so we have to choose wisely how to spend our time...and money. ;-)

Please stop by and let us know how you're doing when you feel a slight pang of nostalgia for your :43: pals.:thumbup: You'll be missed.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
It has been great to make your acquaintance and I pray for a good move for you and your family.

It was a toss-up for me between the Pentax and m4/3 so I understand your dilemma. However it was a good one as you can't go wrong either way.

Are you going to be over on PentaxForums.com? If so I may see you over there.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Best wishes.

Are you leaving the forum because you aren't using the system or are you leaving the forum to dedicate more time to other things?

I ask because I've never felt that the forum was just limited to micro four thirds users. My understanding is that it is open to all.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ya_Gq8d4Q]YouTube - Peter Cook & Dudley Moore 'Goodbye-ee'[/ame]

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bye Joep and welcome back in Holland. You got a small DSLR allowing you to join Serious Compacts, when I'm right you already did. I will miss your input here.

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
All the very best wishes to you and your family. I recall the interview you conducted with me, somewhat challenging at times but all in all very enjoyable, and it took me in directions that I didn't imagine I would go when I agreed to be interviewed.
Barrie, the interview was fun to do for me as well and when I want to do some black and white landscapes or "catch" some dragonflies I will think about you for sure.

All the best, Joep, and good luck with your photography. Continue to enjoy it. :smile:
Thanks, yeah I am planning to move from equipment to applications, within the photography sector, to enhance joy and results.

It has been great to make your acquaintance and I pray for a good move for you and your family.

It was a toss-up for me between the Pentax and m4/3 so I understand your dilemma. However it was a good one as you can't go wrong either way.

Are you going to be over on PentaxForums.com? If so I may see you over there.
When I think I need more equipment then you might find me at that forum, but not much (I like atmosphere here much better), but still too much equipment + I will have less time behind the internet.

Best wishes for the changes ahead and thanks for your input here.
You are welcome and thanks to you too.

Bye!

I wish you good luck and good light!
Yeah, good light (iso good equipment), but also making the best of the available light (or use the light you bring well).

Best wishes.

Are you leaving the forum because you aren't using the system or are you leaving the forum to dedicate more time to other things?

I ask because I've never felt that the forum was just limited to micro four thirds users. My understanding is that it is open to all.
I don't feel pushed away, but just because I am not planning to buy into mu43 any time soon I am loosing interest + want to focus more on using my equipment than on extending my collection.

Joep, I'd like to add my best wishes to you and your family in your upcoming move and all the changes that go with it. You're in a busy stage of life with those two little girls and life goes by quickly, so we have to choose wisely how to spend our time...and money. ;-)

Please stop by and let us know how you're doing when you feel a slight pang of nostalgia for your :43: pals.:thumbup: You'll be missed.
You read my situation well and will for sure drop by!!!

Bye Joep and welcome back in Holland. You got a small DSLR allowing you to join Serious Compacts, when I'm right you already did. I will miss your input here.
Hi Herman, I know I am welcome there (as well as here). Two of my friends also bought a serious camera to discover photography (both went for a Canon DSLR) and we are going to guide each other through photography. Initially I thought this forum would also be a good place for that, but the response on my initiative was very low (here as well as by my friends), so we are going to set up our own medium (and me going back also impacts this decision). Either way, after these responsed over the last couple of days, I guess I will just post some photo's here for feedback, but frequency will be low (I can't afford doing double work).

Best regards, thanks and all the best for all of you,

Joep

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
Take care Joep, good luck with the move; and thanks for the time you have spent here.

Latest threads

Top Bottom