Goodbye SLT-65...

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Between Sony and Panasonic's slow-ass releases, delays, and chip shortages I got antsy. I had bought a Sony SLT 65 (A Mount) and a Tamron 17-50 2.8 about a year ago to play with, and though I tried to love it, I prefer the IQ out of the older Sony A700 12MP, leaving the 65 to just set and take up shelf space.

Spent a lot of time on line in an attempt to replicate my M-4/3 lenses in FF, taking into account 35MM EQ. Of course that's never going to happen one-to-one, but I did find some reasonable options. One is the 24-240/3.5-6.3. This feels like my well-loved 12-60/3.5-5.6 on steroids, offering the same at the wide end but twice the long end. In FF terms it's relatively small and light and is about the same size as Oly's 12-100. After looking at a lot of reviews and sample shots I decided this would be the right lens to serve as my main walk around in the format.

I spent waaaayyyyy too much time poking around the camera sites, including MPB where I ran across that lens in EC with all accessories and original packaging at almost 40% off the new price. I almost bought it in anticipation of the new body, then passed. That lasted a total of one day. I ended up ordering that lens and a Sony A6000 (APS-C E Mount), also in EC and with all original accessories and packaging. The body isn't very expensive used, so if I hate it (and I probably will) there won't be much loss when sold.

So the 65 and the Tamron were offered up to MPB as part of the deal. They surprisingly offered me only $50 less than I paid for the two items, not bad at all. The two together cover the entire cost of the camera body.

Used is a good way to try out gear you may not normally be able to. $50 for a years' worth of ownership is pretty cheap rent.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom