Goodbye old friend: GX1 lost on vacation

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Aug 14, 2016.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    After more than three years of pretty constant use,including two years in Doha, I left my camera and four lenses (14mm, 14-42, and a Vivitar 210mm film lens) hanging on the bathroom wall at Honeyman State Park in Oregon. Most of our vacation photos on the coast were on there, and I didn't have my name or phone number in the case. After realizing I didn't have the camera and returning to the facilities two hours later, it was all gone. At least I think that is where I left it. I lost a week's worth of beach photos, except for a few on my phone and a $8.00 Canon SX260 that I use for the zoom.

I will miss the 14mm lens the most. It was so crispy. The body was a little battered, and the LCD scuffed. The only thing I didn't like about the GX1 was the lack of a viewfinder and the terrible video button. It was so chunky and solid.

There is no way I can replace this gear right away, which I cobbled together over time. So I am going to shoot with my phone and the Canon p/s for now and emphasize composition and post processing. I did notice that bodies can be had for $90 on Ebay.

Truth be told, I was considering selling it all on Ebay. My wife pointed out that bringing $300 of camera gear camping was foolish, in her opinion. I ache for the lost photos.

I do know that my next camera will have a viewfinder. I've also realized that by the time I put them on Facebook, it's difficult to see much of a difference between the GX1 and the cheap point and shoot. Except when I luck into an amazing picture with the GX1. The whole experience has me asking myself why I take photos to begin with, but that is another post for another time.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That is sad, I'm sorry for your loss! I'm in Oregon, perhaps I should check Craigslist for sketchy deals on a GX1... Not that it would do you any good :(

I can definitely commiserate with not being able to repurchase the whole kit right away... However I would point you in the direction of one of the GM cameras... They're super cheap right now and the 12-32mm zoom is tiny and pretty sharp! Or a used GX7. The GX1 was fantastic when it was newer but the performance has gotten quite a bit better.

3. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Thank you for the helpful post. You are right: there are some ridiculously cheap GX7s on Ebay.

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I love my GX1, it's a fine piece of gear and it still has some advantages over newer cameras (for example, its battery life is better than GM series, and its build quality is better than that of GX85). If you don't have an aversion to buying used, you can find GX1 for about $100 which is a steal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    I loved my GX1 it was very well made, of course there are better choices now in terms of performance.

It's still fine as a second hand buy if you're on a really tight budget.

Not many cameras are made in Japan now like the GX1 was.

• Like Like x 1
  6. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    The GM5 is also really tasty looking.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Tough to lose the whole kit, not just a camera.

One takeway, though, is that it is not a good idea for a person to have all of his/her photos on a big SD card that lives in the camera. When traveling I rotate through eight cards, changing the cards in the cameras every night and storing them separately from the camera equipment. This cuts my loss if a card fails or a camera is stolen.

I'll second the suggestion for a GX7, BTW. I recently replaced one of my two GX7s with a GX8 but remain ambivalent about the decision. The GX8 has some neat tricks and a better sensor, but its size starts to make a lie of the idea that M43 is a compact camera system. For you, though, the advantage of the GX7 is that the GX8 and the GX80/85 have destroyed its resale value.

8. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Definitely.
    By the way, is it possible track the camera serial number in the EXIF? Just in case the dishonest new owner happens to post pictures online...

I agree, but cycling on 8 cards seems a bit awkward. I generally travel with a small netbook and I save the pictures on its hard disk every evening.

If the OP can get one at a bargain, I highly recommend it.
    I love this camera. It feels just fine in hand, its look is as inconspicuous as an old film camera (great for street photography), and it is technically very good: AF-S is precise and snappy, IQ is definitely good, the shutter is high end (1/320 flash sync, 1/8000 max speed)...
    The only weaknesses are: viewfinder not great (but usable if you don't wear glasses), no DFD (newer Panasonic have better AF-C), IBIS definitely less efficient than on Olympus bodies.
    [I forgot the most important] And not weather-sealed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Very sorry to hear of your loss Mark. If you want another m43 camera with an EVF, and you're working on a tight budget a couple good options to look in to would be:
    • Panasonic G5
    • Panasonic G6
    • Panasonic GX7
    • Olympus E-M5
    • Olympus E-M10
    I think the E-M5 would give you a nice bump in IQ over the GX1. Despite it being fairly old, it holds its own against the newest m43 cameras pretty well. Something it offers over all the others mentioned is that it's weather sealed. You could pair it with an Olympus 12-50 (which also goes for pretty cheap used), and have a very nice weather-sealed camera/lens combo that would be great for hiking.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Actually it's not awkward at all. All of my cards are numbered, with six living in an SD wallet and one(two) living in the camera(s). I simply take the day's card out of a camera, put it in the wallet, and replace it with the next higher numbered card from the wallet. It takes virtually no time and saves me the weight penalty of a backup computer or device. I actually have one of the Colorspace Hyperdrives but often do not take it due to its bulk and weight (which are less than a netbook).

Rotating this way means that towards the end of a trip I may have several days shooting on a card and a single day's shooting on two different cards. But Lightroom sorts all that out for me, putting the photos into folders for each day. Same-o for my wife's cards (which are lettered not numbered); LR merges her shots nicely into the same folders.

This is not as bulletproof as leaving the photos on the cards and also backing up to some other device, but reduces the risk of loss to a level that's acceptable to me. YMMV.

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Oh man, sorry to hear that -- ouch!

12. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Just curious: how are the files numbered? Is the index increasing no matter which card is in, or is it reset to the highest index on the card when you swap the cards?
    (I suspect that the behaviour may be different between Panasonic and Olympus)

13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

A bit of a long shot these days but did you leave your details with the local police station in case someone found it and took it to hand in...?

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Hmm ... I've never thought about any of that. The three (Panny) cameras that we use seem to have file numbers that are sequential from a long and random base number. Like "P1020028" from my wife's ZS50, "P1030647" from my GX8, and "P1090669" from my GX7. Panny does have an option to reset the numbering but I have never thought to do that because it would probably cause naming conflicts.

15. nancyr

nancyr Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2014
    San Diego
    Nancy
    One trick I use is to set one camera to sRGB and the other to AdobeRGB (we shoot raw; would not recommend this for JPEG-only shooters!). The sRGB pics are named "P1110724.rw2" and the AdobeRGBs are "_1110724.rw2". Same with Nikon and Canon, so I assume Olympus as well.

Sorry about your loss!

16. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Olympus file numbers include the date, eg P7210024.JPG was taken on July the 21st (months after September use a letter). This makes sorting easier.
    I see nothing like it with Panasonic or Sony. The first digits seem to be a folder index.
    In all cases, I suspect there is a counter on the last four digits. I wonder if it is managed by the camera, regardless of what is on the SD card? Or does it depends upon the already existing content of the card?

The result of card switch could be messy.

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Ouch. While the gear was a big loss, the photos are an even bigger loss. Those can't be replaced. :-(

All of us have gotten distracted and left something behind by mistake. Backing up travel photos has been an active topic elsewhere on the forums, but it is a good strategy we should all use. Keeping the backup separate from the rest of the gear is also important. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will contact you about returning the SD cards. :)

18. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I left my GF3, kit zoom, and a few odds and ends in a parking lot in Yosemite last winter while out shooting late at night. :( Sorry my friend.

EM10 is a good option to replace, $400 w/ kit lens on Amazon right now, or even cheaper on eBay. It was my upgrade/replacement for the GF3 (I upgraded shortly before I lost the GF)

The 14mm is my favorite lens as well, btw. Does everything and weighs nothing.

Just embrace the phone/P&S for a while, and see what aspects of m43 you miss. Then go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There's an option for whether it resets on card swap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    That is excellent advice. The only thing I truly dislike about the cheap Canon P/S and the phone is the time it takes to open an app or cycle up the device and get a photo. With the GX1 I could turn it on and shoot something from a car window (as a passsenger) and get *something*. Conversely, I quit trying for quick snapshots with my current devices. Soooo sluggish.