1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Goodbye Nikon Kit

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Razer, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Well after nearly 8 years being a devoted Nikon user i've finally made the switch fully to m4/3 with the G1.

I don't think i will ever go back to a full size DSLR again, as this new format is more than enough for me & long may it continue to bring better bodies and lenses in the future.

Anyways

I've sold my D70 as i got offered a good price for it with a old 18-55mm
    this camera i thought i never sell, but it was in perfect condition & just sat in a box.

It's new user to photography will get plently of use out of it.

Next to go was my 17-55mm F2.8, to some bloke that travelled all the way from Grimby to pick it up.

My 85mm F1.8D was sold on Ebay along with my 50mm F1.4D

And the rest of the kit what you see in this small vid at the bottom of this post was sold to a Wedding Photographer based in Southport, for a very very good price.

Kit in Vid

D300 with grip
    16-85mm VR
    70-300mm VR
    Sigma 10-20mm
    35mm F1.8
    Nikon SB 900 Flash
    Redsnapper Tripod with Ballhead
    Tarmac Expedition 5x backpack

The money i've made will proberly go towards a UWA be it the 7-14mm or the Olympus 9-18mm when it comes out as im going to hang on and wait to see if it a decent lens before deciding & a new smaller lighter tripod.

The rest of the money will go towards Our Wedding next spring so we can have a really decent Honeymoon, No wonder Julie happy about me selling all this gear lol.

Anyroads here the vid of the kit.

******** width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Gup9lBE2J8E&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Gup9lBE2J8E&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Just a natural part of the process... most people will find that m4/3rds is more than enough camera to satisfy their photographic development.

Congratulations, it's nice being able to upgrade your system and get some money back too!

Good idea on the UWA.

Cheers

Brian

4. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Your right Brian

I don't see the point anymore lugging about all that gear around, when from a kit that both small & light can give image quality that 98% there to the D300.

Also i won't get those funny looks anymore or people coming upto me asking if im a pro, i use to hate taking my D300 out with me sometimes.

Still waiting to really go test my G1 out properly, as everytime im off work the weather always bad or not the right conditions ie dull and grey.

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    well done , now if i could just get rid of my d80........................

6. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    I also got rid of my Nikon DSLR (and an F4 and a two lenses) before I went to the G1. May the image quality be better for these DSLRs, if I do not realize it in the sizes I print, then it is not worth the weight.

But I never will get rid of my FM-2 and the FE-2. I am too much a film user and my digital b&w images just lack the feel of the prints produced in the darkroom.

Cheers
    rst

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    No - (and I didn't mean the Wedding next Spring!)

but you are from Lancashire where there are some funny people:biggrin:

8. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Aye being from Wigan i either live of Pie's perfer pasties meself :thumbup:

Or we all were flapcaps & have wippets and live in slum housing have cobble streets & we all work down pit or cotton mills.

According to some Southerns :rofl:

But being from Wigan we also don't hump Sheep, & we don't interbreed like some area's in the Northwest & we don't Like Bolton football wise :)

9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Remember I'm from t'other side of Pennines

10. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular

Untill there are more fast primes available I keep my 5D. I hope they will be developed since I don't see many fast primes in the current 43 range of lenses. Or is the 43 format not capable of primes faster than 2.8??

11. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Well Panasonic already have a 20mm f1.7 & a 14mm F2 i think due out soon, but would like to see a fast 40mm & 12mm prime in the future.

Olympus on the otherhand on both 4/3 don't really have anything apart from the 25mm Pancake F2.8 and a a couple of Macro's 35mm F3.5 & 50mm F2 which is suppose to be excellent for 4/3 and 17mm F2.8 for m4/3.

Panasonic have a 25mm F1.4 Prime for 4/3 mount, but it pretty hard get hold of and cost a fortune.

12. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Razer, that wide angle pancake from Panasonic is supposed to be a 14mm f2.8... and Olympus have a wide angle prime (12mm f2.8 I think) and a macro prime (50mm f2) in the pipeline, according to their lens roadmap.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  14. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:biggrin:Congratulations on all decisions Razer!

Hey, Chow and Brian can you bring up these wide angles on the appropriate thread...where ever it is - the one with the "road map" - if this is new info?

15. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Hi Razer, Two major points why i did the same thing.:thumbup:

16. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I've not seen Olympus roadmap but that 12mm prime is deffo something i'll be looking into in the future.