1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Goodbye Mu-43 (and thanks for all the fish*)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by QualityBuiltIn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Did I ever tell you this is my favourite forum on the whole inter-web? The members here are wonderful - fun, informative, opinionated - just a great bunch of characters.

So much so that I was ready to quit the system back in the spring but bought another M4/3 body (GX8) in large part so that I could remain active here.

Turns out it wasn't right for me (far too complicated and not easy to get good JPEGs from) so I've sold up and I'm moving on.

I bought into M4/3 with the E-P1inspired by the Kevin Spacey advert and my constant pursuit of a small body with a large sensor. I loved the E-P1 and used it as my main camera for 3 years or more. Then temptation saw me upgrade to an E-PL5 but I never loved that - it is a really good camera but not much fun to use. Finally I tried hard to make the GX8 be my friend but what do you do with all of those buttons and dials? I don't have enough fingers for that beast.

Anyway, they're all gone now. (I have a G9X compact to keep me company while I research and save up for whatever's next).

Thanks to Amin for providing this resource. Thank you all very much for your company over the years.

Best wishes to you all...

*with apologies to Douglas Adams

• Appreciate Appreciate x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    You don't have to leave, just because you don't have a mft camera any more. There is still conversations to have and showcases for compact/mobile images.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I don't think Adams would mind. Small body, large sensor? I see a Hasselblad X1D in your future!

Fred

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Aww man, there's always room for a super cheap GM1/GM5! [emoji14]

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You might try over at the Photographer's Lounge forum. (see top of page) Similar setup and many of the same people but with a more ecumenical view on brand.

• Like Like x 2
  6. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I'm still here and I don't own a m4/3 camera anymore. Good folks here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    'Ecumenical'? I knew this was a cult thing but didn't realise it was a religion.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Try a Pen-F perhaps? Or, actually, from what you've said, I think that the new GX80 sounds like the perfect m4/3 body for you. Simplicity of controls, great IBIS, great AF and sensor. I think you may have thrown in the towel prematurely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    The answer for the the ultimate question of life the universe and everything is 42. So micro43 doesn't fit.
    On other hand m42(also called old pentax mount%)) can hold the truth, and you can adapt it to mft.
    Also the Olympus stabilises the x/why/zed axis - they must know smth.

Pen-f really is ultimative jpeg camera On the market. If it's still bit to complicated, take a pick On Fuji.
    If you still want to swap lenses and go tiny - why not try pentax-q System.)

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    And you are right - quite a few Olympus forums with such pleasant crowd.
    Pentaxforums feels the same way for me - still because of the gear swap i preffer to Hang out here now.)

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

11. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Thats because we have Panasonic also ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I should have put "ecumenical" in quotes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I agree. If you just want a camera with less buttons that makes good jpegs, you can get an E-PM2 for a song on eBay and it's about as simple as it gets. You can also ignore many of those buttons. The Pen F is touted as JPEG shooters camera. You can ignore most of the buttons, stick it on automatic, and play with that front dial that gives you all those great pre-set styles. I can't see how any other system has cameras that are simpler with a large sensor unless you want to stay on the RX100/G9X/DL route.

14. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Maybe you can try to find Sony RX1 in the second market? the price is quite reasonable now. It's a full frame compact camera.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thegimprider

thegimprider Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    I'm waiting in the wings for the pro market to specialize a bit more. I do not like complex cameras but the market has been driven that direction. Leica M 60 and the new Hasselblad mirrorless are beacons of light. You can put your right palms over the back without triggering a button.
    The good news is Phase One now owns Mamiya, the company that ripped market share from Hasselblad in pro photography. MFT will rule the roost for some time now until full frame and medium format catch on on lens quality at working man costs. Mamiya is the camera company that can do it
    Ecumenical indeed? I got tared and feathered for posting about the Leica M60

• Like Like x 1
  17. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I have an E-PL7 and a compact Canon G7X. As good as it is for its size, the image quality from the 1" sensor in the G7X is nowhere near what I get out of my E-PL7, especially in the corners at wide angles. I prefer the handling and interface on the E-PL7 (after spending an hour or so setting it up!), and I can't live without the manual focus on the Oly 12-40 zoom. The G7X isn't quite small enough to be pocketable so either camera needs to be carried in a bag. As a result, I use the E-PL7 most of the time, and only use the G7X when I can't use the E-PL7.

In a year or two when I can buy a 20-megapixel E-M10iii or E-PL9 I will get one and stick my Oly 12-40 on it, buy an Oly 9-18 lens and put that on the E-PL7, and get rid of the G7X. I have learned my lesson and will never buy a "serious" camera with a sensor smaller than M4/3. There are so many camera and lens choices within M4/3 that I expect there's a combination that would work for anyone, from simple and small to big and pro.

18. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    the e-pm2 is hard to beat for jpeg shooters. very simple to operate, outstanding low light shooter. panny 20mm and pm2 for less than $350 or there about