Goodbye LR?

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have been a follower of Anthony's for a few years and find him to be a very honest utuber , he is also a adobe (ambassador ?) so he did this short video about darktable a FREE photo processing app which seems to be worth looking into, IMHO.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been slowly getting my feet into Darktable. All Post Processing Challenges on this forum are done in DT.
Couple of observations with Darktable:
- while it looks very similar to LR and uses the same overal idea, there is still a (steep) learning curve
- there are lots and lots and lots of modules, a lot of them do very similar things so it takes time to figure out how they work, what they do and if they fit your workflow
- DT still needs some gui polish

But overal I'm very impressed with DT and I'm seriously considering switching permanently to it.

An excellent resource for DT is Bruce Williams' Photography YouTube Channel: Bruce Williams Photography

Last edited:

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been slowly getting my feet into Darktable. All Post Processing Challenges on this forum are done in DT.
Couple of observations with Darktable:
- while it looks very similar to LR and uses the same overal idea, there is still a (steep) learning curve
- there are lots and lots and lots of modules, a lot of them do very similar things so it takes time to figure out how they work, what they do and if they fit your workflow
- DT still needs some gui polish

But overal I'm very impressed with DT and I'm seriously considering switching permanently to it.

An excellent resource for DT is Bruce Williams' Photography YouTube Channel: Bruce Williams Photography
The amount of modules looks very promising and I assume the big feature is the library /catalogue ability which seems to be missing in a lot of the other programs

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I assume the big feature is the library /catalogue ability which seems to be missing in a lot of the other programs
Yes, I find this a vital feature for any raw developer. I know a lot of people use external DAM (digital asset management) tools to keep track of their photos. I like to keep it in 1 tool. That's why I tried tools like Luminar and turned away as the DAM was really lacking.

DT has a very powerful DAM tool (lighttable) but right now I'm missing 2 features: being able to sort by last edit time. I find this a very useful sorting method which fits my PP style. And not being able to filter by star rating.
This last one I don't understand why it's missing. You can sort by star rating, but not filter (collect) images. Seems weird to me.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
You can sort by star rating, but not filter (collect) images. Seems weird to me.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can definitely filter images by star rating in the sense of "I only want to look at 2 star images" or "I only want to see 4 star images". Is what you mean by "filter" something distinct from that? Can you explain?

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can definitely filter images by star rating in the sense of "I only want to look at 2 star images" or "I only want to see 4 star images". Is what you mean by "filter" something distinct from that? Can you explain?
In the lighttable, in the left pane, you can collect images. For example: show me all images from a folder, taken on a specific date, with a green label and tagged 'landscape'
In the dropdown with all possibilities there is no star rating selection. You have to filter this result choosing the star rating in the view drop down at the top.

So you can select by star rating, it's just not in the collect dropdown.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I moved from Lightzone to Darktable and enjoy using it. Once you figure out what modules you like and get a rhythm going it's fast and easy to use. The way that DT incorporates masking into every module with a combination of colorspace specific selection tools and drawn masks is unique and faster to edit than Lightroom's adjustment layers, IMO.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Thieda
I understand the Windows version is relatively new. Does anyone have any experience with it?
What I've seen looks good, but after fighting ON1 for a year, I don't want another buggy program.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I understand the Windows version is relatively new. Does anyone have any experience with it?
I've been using it exclusively on Windows 10 machines (my home workstation and various laptops) I have not had any issues in terms of stability and crashes. It feels very reliable.
I've been trying to swith over the Linux as my main OS, but there is way too much other Windows only software that I'm using for now that switching is not really possible/practical.

Currently running version 2.6.2 which is the latest AFAIK

Last edited:

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Thieda
I've been using it exclusively on Windows 10 machines (my home workstation and various laptops) I have not had any issues in terms of stability and crashes. It feels very reliable.
I've been trying to swith over the Linux as my main OS, but there is way too much other Windows only software that I'm using for now that switching is not really possible/practical.

Thanks...I just downloaded it, and will give it a go.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
In the lighttable, in the left pane, you can collect images. For example: show me all images from a folder, taken on a specific date, with a green label and tagged 'landscape'
In the dropdown with all possibilities there is no star rating selection. You have to filter this result choosing the star rating in the view drop down at the top.

So you can select by star rating, it's just not in the collect dropdown.
Right, it's not in the menu with the other stuff. But if you wanted to display photos taken on date X, with a blue label, excluding those taken with lens Y, only 3 star images, (or any other combination you can think of) you can do it.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
What I've seen looks good, but after fighting ON1 for a year, I don't want another buggy program.

I also run the Windows version exclusively. It works great and I've encountered no real issues with bugs or stability.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I want to like this, but man... just trying to do multiple localized adjustments had me walk away. Adobe is pushing that limit on how much familiarity is worth it. Also, I had the opposite experience on stability... it crashed 3-4 times just trying to load. No idea what caused it to actually load properly (Win10).

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I want to like this, but man... just trying to do multiple localized adjustments had me walk away. Adobe is pushing that limit on how much familiarity is worth it. Also, I had the opposite experience on stability... it crashed 3-4 times just trying to load. No idea what caused it to actually load properly (Win10).
Learning to ride a bike. Drive a car. Set up your Camera. Use a computer program. All the same. I wouldn't be too quick to judge, especially with Adobe pulling their antics.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Learning to ride a bike. Drive a car. Set up your Camera. Use a computer program. All the same. I wouldn't be too quick to judge, especially with Adobe pulling their antics.
Yeah, I'll likely look again as I'm on the fence with Adobe (because I fundamentally want what Adobe is trying to do, just not how...). But it was more a statement to how much of a learning curve it is. I've come reliant on Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M, heh.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Thieda
I'll give Adobe credit for one thing.
After spending the past two plus years trying, (and often buying), several potential LR replacements, my development skills have improved considerably.
Leaving the LR comfort zone has been good for me.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Yeah, I'll likely look again as I'm on the fence with Adobe (because I fundamentally want what Adobe is trying to do, just not how...). But it was more a statement to how much of a learning curve it is. I've come reliant on Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M, heh.
I don't know what that does in LR, but darktable has very flexible ability to bind keyboard shortcuts to events (even fairly elaborate scripted ones via Lua)... but yeah, it's all about the initial investment in getting a workflow set up to your liking... something that people with a particular dedication to open source software may be more favorably predisposed towards.

Incidentally, darktable is under particularly heavy development lately (to the extent that I've stopped trying to keep up for the moment), so, while I'm not trying to discourage any new users from trying 2.6, be prepared for some significant changes ahead. The processing pipe has been completely overhauled, as well as the user interface... stuff related to sharing masks between modules has been improved... all of which involves some growing pains. ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom