1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Goodbye but not farewell...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Pim, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Hi all,

I took the plunge today and decided to go the Fuji way as far as my system goes. I have been very happy with my M43 stuff in the last few years but in the end I love the simplicity of the Fuji camera's. All I need in a camera (apart from a great sensor of course) is an aperture ring, shutter speed dial and an Fn button for ISO (granted dedicated ISO wheel would be better still..:)). The Fuji delivers all this, and I will not miss art filters, scene modes, direct video buttons etc that I never use anyway... What I will miss probably is the great choice of excellent lenses the M43 system provides, but then again the Fuji system is starting to get more mature in that respect as well.

I ordered the X-E1 with the 35 mm lens, will probably add the 14mm as I love the wide to ultra wide FoV, and the 60 or upcoming fast 56 a well. That is all I need really, and I look forward to trying the new camera out the coming days.

I will not post much here anymore, but will remain a member of this great site, as in the end it is all about the photo's and not about the system really, and there are some great pics to be found here on a daily basis!

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Enjoy the Fuji! Take some time to come back and tell us more about your experience once you've shot it for awhile.

While I'm not personally tempted to switch to Fuji because of what and how I shoot, I have been really impressed with what they are doing with that system. The XF lens lineup looks very impressive - not so much in the number of lenses of course but in their choices and the quality of the optics. I admire they are going straight for "prosumer" with their lenses - high IQ and thus a bit more expensive and not so much targeted at compact "upgraders".

Sounds like some aspects of the bodies still need a little work (AF in low light specifically) but the system as a whole looks really well thought out.

3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Kwalsh,

You are absolutely right of course, the main thing is to find a system that best suits your style. Personally my main interest is landscape, architecture, cityscape etc. I dont really shoot street, sports, children or animals, so AF speed to me is not the biggest factor, but if you are more into those kinds of pictures yes something like the Olympus OM-D is probably more suited. In the end it is all personal preference of course, all mirrorless systems are capable of great results. I for one hope Olympus and Panasonic keep pushing the boundaries with great new bodies and lenses, in the end some competition benefits us all!

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hey Pim - from one outstanding system to another! I also have an X-E1, but I cannot let go if the :43: because of its lens lineup. And probably (and maybe in larger part) because of loyalty. :biggrin:

:43: has sparked my interest in photography, and (I hope) my kids will someday thank it for how well-documented their childhood is. I use the Pens when i need the outstanding Oly 45 and the 9-18mm. Maybe the P20 from time to time. But for now I find I am reaching for the X-E1 more. Less PP work, better skin tones (IMO).

Good luck, and did you join FujiXSpot yet?

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I used Fuji cameras for years - I love the color rendering and overall IQ. When I discovered :43: I noticed that Olympus has very similar color rendering and I've been impressed with the growth and development of the whole system. Now that I'm so deeply invested in :43: gear I will likely stay with this system for the foreseeable future. Fuji has some great products - enjoy! :cool:

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Pim!

That's a nice choice of kit!

Only two things prevent me from acquiring a Fuji X100 - the fact that I have "invested" so heavily in :43:, and the Princess of the Exchequer :biggrin:. She would have no sense of humor should I get yet another camera.

Good luck with the new gear - and if you want to share an image or two with us it wouldn't hurt :thumbup:.

Regards,

Jim

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jim ...Show her this one and tell her that these cameras have built in make up system and it every new model reduces age of females subjects by 10 years .:wink::wink::biggrin::biggrin:

P3250012. P3260085.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks Bhupinder - but she won't buy that anymore; it's what I told her when I bought Elements 6...and Elements 8...and Elements 9...and CS3...and LR3...and LR4.

She's on to me now...

:frown:

But that Fuji design just takes me back to the '60's :2thumbs:. I really don't need one but gee whiz, what a bit of kit it is. (I'm having a tough day, I already passed on a $320 refurb'd 45mm lens from the Olympus store this morning :frown:).

Being retired (or, as the Princess calls it, "terminally unemployed" :biggrin:) has budget drawbacks... On the brighter side I've ordered one of those Rokinon 500mm mirror zooms. I've never played with one and they look like fun.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the Fuji...I need to go get a napkin because I'm salivating all over my sweatshirt...

Regards,

Jim

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Wishing you well but remember, there are boards on this forum for posting Fuji pictures so don't forget us - we'd love to see some shots! :biggrin:

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Pim, good luck with the Fuji (I have the X100 and love it), you will of course have to join our sister site that Amin created
    FujiXspot.com - Fuji X Series News, Rumors, and Discussion Forums.

Many of us here also own and use Fuji cameras so you can still flip between the two and see many familiar names.

Good luck with the new machine!