1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Goodbye 5D :(

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Aug 1, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, the EP3 has removed enough of my need for a DSLR, that I have to say "goodbye 5D" <sniff>

This is sometimes something cool about being the "big dog" with the Full Frame shooting in the room. And the micro contrast that I can get from my 5D beats my m43, but the super great AF, touch-to-shoot, and the new, faster lenses (45/1.8 and 25/1.4) have conspired to make it hard to justify keeping around $1500 in equipment, for just their one last, great use - Christmas card photos (5D + fast primes take UNBELIEVABLE Christmas card photos :)

Also, I kept telling myself that I wanted to get into studio work, but my day job keeps me going, so being realistic -- it's not going to happen (at least, not any time soon. Maybe when I retire).

So, goodbye 5D. I'll miss you. Write when you get to your new home. And please don't make me buy you back. I hate when I do that!

Listed at FM if anyone's interested (but why would you be, if you already have m43, lol)

FS: 5D Classic Setup (with lenses and extras) - FM Forums

• Like Like x 3
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine departed some months back. very good camera, with, I feel, a quality and style of image which many later cameras cannot match.

But I shoot a lot more with my M4/3 stuff, and I decided to take a hiatus from major changes in gear until I had explored new avenues and figured out what I need as opposed to want for my photographic goals.

I have sworn off new cameras at least until year end. Some nice new stuff from pan sonic and Oly recently, but not enough of a change / improvement to move me.

Enjoy your new friend...

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I made a similar move, selling off a Nikon D700 once I got settled in with MFT. No regrets here! I can understand why some folks like to shoot with multiple systems, but I find that I connect better with a more limited scope of gear. Super happy with my E-P3, 14, 20, and 45. Only question in my mind is whether to replace the PL45 with the Oly 45/1.8. The Oly will have to be outstanding to take the place of my PL45!

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well,
    With your E-P3, you're still the "big dog"...:wink:

5. My Canon gear still lives for now, although with increasingly limited use. I did shoot a friend's wedding with it not long ago that I wouldn't have attempted with the Micro 4/3 gear that I have. There's a lot of history and good memories with me and Canon DSLRs which goes back to my 350D from about 2005. They are still my "first langauge", so to speak. My favourite images taken whilst overseas travelling have all being taken using the aforementioned 350D and latterly a 50D.

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Wow. I could never sell my 5D, or even the 40D. It has served me so well for so long, and for me at least, there is a time and place for using DSLRs. Sports, kids/dogs, concert halls, portraits, the list goes on. I hope you don't get seller's remorse. :wink:

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :smile:. FWIW, I've never looked back since I sold the Nikon D300s half a year ago.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    good luck to you! I just let my 5D/40D go. Multiple systems is painful, and I'm pretty confident w/ m43's abilities despite its shortcomings for how I'd be using it. I actually still have a 17-40L to sell... no one is biting on it, heh. Then I'll buy some lighting equipment =)

9. sashu1

sashu1 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    My Canon gear is getting less and less use since Leica M9 and now EP3. The Leica has been neglected for the week or so that I have been having fun with EP3. Can't believe the speed of the AF!:smile:

10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I still experience small twinges of separation anxiety since I sold my D3. However I have to admit to myself it is mostly gear lust. The memories of the Nikon grow more faint with every shooting session using the Oly.

I'm about to hook up my Think Tank belt and harness and take off for the woods and hills right now. I probably wouldn't even go out if I had to lug the big black brick and dumb-bell lenses. :cool:

11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I thought there'd be a bit more separation trauma after selling my E-3 and Zuiko HG glass to move to MFT, but so far nothing - haven't had this much fun with photography, well, ever :smile:

12. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Great CAM the E-P3 I love the touch focus/shoot and the AF not to mention the 1080p video which compares well with my friends 5Dmk11 for video
    The 5D mk1 is best sold .. cameras are moving along :rofl::smile:

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Same here! Of course I haven't given up my HG glass yet... and still require it for my commercial work. But using Micro Four-Thirds bodies, and also adding more legacy glass to the setup has really changed the way I shoot and enjoy my photography. It's not just a job for me anymore, and I am regaining the true passion I once had.

Especially since my E-PL2 gives me better image quality than my E-3 (since I still use the same glass) I don't miss my E-3 at all, lol. Of course, I still hold onto my E-3 and E-P1 bodies... they make good lens props if nothing else. :tongue:

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Why not get a film body (they are cheap these days) & you can continue to work those fast primes in all their glory in full frame :smile: