Goodby EP5 - Discountinued

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Feb 22, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I happen to love my EP5 - going on a week trip with it very soon. I bought mine as an OLY refurb two years ago (have 3 months left on the warranty will have it cleaned and looked at when I get back). I hope it lasts me a long time, many of those who have the camera think its something special. I will use mine for travel until it no longer functions. First camera since my D200 that I felt that way about-gave the D200 away to someone who really wanted a camera but couldn't afford one.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jeff... I love the EP5, as well, though I have barely even used mine. At this rate, mine should last a lifetime. :clapping: A VF4 lives on it. Great camera, though awkward in form factor with the (awesome) VF4 mounted.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    good news and bad, and then good again
    Good news #1: it will drop in price as they will close-out them
    Bad news: it is a great camera that is an alternative to the OM-D line with most of the desirable specs. I always felt I that am not taken seriously when I shoot with it, a bit like with a phone, people pay less attention and I can go away with taking more candid moments with it
    Good News #2: they have introduced the PEN-F as replacement so the same style is still there, a bit improved a bit worse, depends who you ask. When time comes to retire my two E-P5 maybe the PEN-F will be much cheaper or maybe there will be the E-P7 (or PEN-F mk2)

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Re: Good News #2: Yes, I just got the PEN-F and LOVE it! Don't want to let go of my EP5, though. Will probably keep it a very long time. But the PEN-F will see a lot more use simply by virtue of having a wonderful EVF built-into the camera. I love the VF4 with the EP5, but am not so crazy about the form-factor with the VF4.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Something about the PEN cameras clicks for me. I had an E-P2 for a while and I loved it. But I had a newer generation Panasonic body that was so much better I sold the E-P2. (Let's be honest the thing was really slow.) Then the E-P3 came out and I wanted one but still had the old sensor. So I stuck with Panasonic.

Eventually the E-P5 came out and I wanted one instantly. I figured I could wait a while and the price would come down. Well fast-forward two more years and I finally ordered one, it'll be here in a week. Patience is a virtue, can't wait to rock that E-P5 it's been my dream camera for a long time. I figure to get many years from it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I believe you are the one that just scooped one off Fred Miranda before my itchy paypal finger could act... Thanks for that, saved me some explaining to the wife:drinks:

7. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Guilty as charged. I was unhappy to miss the Roberts offer of the same kit, so when I saw it for sale on Fred Miranda I scooped it up.

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've already taken advantage of Good news #1, recently bought a Japanese version new for about 250 Dollars and I'm loving it.

9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Hey at least someone here grabbed it. I would have acted faster but I literally just bought a E-PL7, 17mm 1.8 and VF-4 (all for great deals) to supplement my E-M1, so even though I could sell the spares it would have been a real tough sell at home :biggrin:

10. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I've had a secret dream to have this house with 75mm 1.8.
    Hope I'm able to snatch one on sale. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It's the perfect size. I have the VF4 as well but don't really use it. In my opinion, there's little if anything around in the same format to warrant upgrading.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    My E-P5 will always be a classic to me. I upgraded to an E-M1 but I'm keeping the E-P5 because it does everything very well!
    Bobby

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I picked one up from Robert's when it went on sale. I sold the 17mm for 300, so I got the E-P5 and the VF4 for 300. I really like it. It is easier to take out of a bag than my EM-5 and EM-1. I guess going humpless can make a small difference. I carry it around in my work bag with the 20mm attached.

It is a beautiful camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I'm still using my E-P5 and with my style of shooting and current camera options, I just can't justify replacing it. It does everything I expect a good camera to do. :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    And should continue to do everything you expect a good camera to do, for some time to come!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 16, 2014
    I really like my E-P5 as a complement to my E-M5mkII. Sometimes a flip-out LCD beats a swivel; particularly for more candid photography with the camera sitting in your lap or on a table. Bringing the camera to your eye or pulling out the swivel screen tends to make people more self-conscious and they're not as natural.
    Really, I ended up with it on an impulse. I've been playing around with my IR converted E-PM2 a bit lately (though not as much as it's not yet spring) and had been thinking both a viewfinder and the 17mm f/1.8 lens would be nice additions but hadn't really shopped them. I'd seen the Roberts deal but didn't connect the dots at first; fortunately the light clicked on and I realized I could essentially get a free E-P5 for the cost of the lens and VF4. Placed my order just in time.
    That the E-P5 is discontinued is no surprise; that Roberts deal was a strong indicator it was coming.

17. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    If I remember right Olympus went on record as saying the PEN-F was not a replacement for the E-P5 which by logic would mean there will be a E-P6. I wonder what direction they will take it now that the PEN-F is out, you would assume they have to bring its price down comparatively, do you think they will try to have more of a PL and P hybrid and bring the P series down market a little bit to create separation (say $7-899 right from new), or more PEN_F style sans EVF, or just a slightly updated P5 ?

18. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have been wondering about that too. If the E-P5 has been discontinued (do we know that for sure?), there is a big price gap right now between the E-PL7 and the PEN-F - my local Olympus website has the PL7 at 399 euro body only, compared to 1199 euro for the PEN-F.

19. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Same here. Maybe Olympus is starting a third line of camera models? What the heck will follow the E-P5?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I would like to see a E-PM3 ($5-600) and then some type of a E-PL8/E-P6 hybrid ($8-900) and then the PEN-F, seems like that would make a nice range of that body style. Unless maybe the E-P6 will have a EVF but just be a cheaper version of the PEN-F.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.