1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Goodby EP5 - Discountinued

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Feb 22, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I happen to love my EP5 - going on a week trip with it very soon. I bought mine as an OLY refurb two years ago (have 3 months left on the warranty will have it cleaned and looked at when I get back). I hope it lasts me a long time, many of those who have the camera think its something special. I will use mine for travel until it no longer functions. First camera since my D200 that I felt that way about-gave the D200 away to someone who really wanted a camera but couldn't afford one.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jeff... I love the EP5, as well, though I have barely even used mine. At this rate, mine should last a lifetime. :clapping: A VF4 lives on it. Great camera, though awkward in form factor with the (awesome) VF4 mounted.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    good news and bad, and then good again
    Good news #1: it will drop in price as they will close-out them
    Bad news: it is a great camera that is an alternative to the OM-D line with most of the desirable specs. I always felt I that am not taken seriously when I shoot with it, a bit like with a phone, people pay less attention and I can go away with taking more candid moments with it
    Good News #2: they have introduced the PEN-F as replacement so the same style is still there, a bit improved a bit worse, depends who you ask. When time comes to retire my two E-P5 maybe the PEN-F will be much cheaper or maybe there will be the E-P7 (or PEN-F mk2)

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Re: Good News #2: Yes, I just got the PEN-F and LOVE it! Don't want to let go of my EP5, though. Will probably keep it a very long time. But the PEN-F will see a lot more use simply by virtue of having a wonderful EVF built-into the camera. I love the VF4 with the EP5, but am not so crazy about the form-factor with the VF4.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Something about the PEN cameras clicks for me. I had an E-P2 for a while and I loved it. But I had a newer generation Panasonic body that was so much better I sold the E-P2. (Let's be honest the thing was really slow.) Then the E-P3 came out and I wanted one but still had the old sensor. So I stuck with Panasonic.

Eventually the E-P5 came out and I wanted one instantly. I figured I could wait a while and the price would come down. Well fast-forward two more years and I finally ordered one, it'll be here in a week. Patience is a virtue, can't wait to rock that E-P5 it's been my dream camera for a long time. I figure to get many years from it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I believe you are the one that just scooped one off Fred Miranda before my itchy paypal finger could act... Thanks for that, saved me some explaining to the wife:drinks:

7. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Guilty as charged. I was unhappy to miss the Roberts offer of the same kit, so when I saw it for sale on Fred Miranda I scooped it up.

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've already taken advantage of Good news #1, recently bought a Japanese version new for about 250 Dollars and I'm loving it.

9. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Hey at least someone here grabbed it. I would have acted faster but I literally just bought a E-PL7, 17mm 1.8 and VF-4 (all for great deals) to supplement my E-M1, so even though I could sell the spares it would have been a real tough sell at home :biggrin:

10. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I've had a secret dream to have this house with 75mm 1.8.
    Hope I'm able to snatch one on sale. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It's the perfect size. I have the VF4 as well but don't really use it. In my opinion, there's little if anything around in the same format to warrant upgrading.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    My E-P5 will always be a classic to me. I upgraded to an E-M1 but I'm keeping the E-P5 because it does everything very well!
    Bobby

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I picked one up from Robert's when it went on sale. I sold the 17mm for 300, so I got the E-P5 and the VF4 for 300. I really like it. It is easier to take out of a bag than my EM-5 and EM-1. I guess going humpless can make a small difference. I carry it around in my work bag with the 20mm attached.

It is a beautiful camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I'm still using my E-P5 and with my style of shooting and current camera options, I just can't justify replacing it. It does everything I expect a good camera to do. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    And should continue to do everything you expect a good camera to do, for some time to come!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I really like my E-P5 as a complement to my E-M5mkII. Sometimes a flip-out LCD beats a swivel; particularly for more candid photography with the camera sitting in your lap or on a table. Bringing the camera to your eye or pulling out the swivel screen tends to make people more self-conscious and they're not as natural.
    Really, I ended up with it on an impulse. I've been playing around with my IR converted E-PM2 a bit lately (though not as much as it's not yet spring) and had been thinking both a viewfinder and the 17mm f/1.8 lens would be nice additions but hadn't really shopped them. I'd seen the Roberts deal but didn't connect the dots at first; fortunately the light clicked on and I realized I could essentially get a free E-P5 for the cost of the lens and VF4. Placed my order just in time.
    That the E-P5 is discontinued is no surprise; that Roberts deal was a strong indicator it was coming.

17. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    If I remember right Olympus went on record as saying the PEN-F was not a replacement for the E-P5 which by logic would mean there will be a E-P6. I wonder what direction they will take it now that the PEN-F is out, you would assume they have to bring its price down comparatively, do you think they will try to have more of a PL and P hybrid and bring the P series down market a little bit to create separation (say $7-899 right from new), or more PEN_F style sans EVF, or just a slightly updated P5 ?

18. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have been wondering about that too. If the E-P5 has been discontinued (do we know that for sure?), there is a big price gap right now between the E-PL7 and the PEN-F - my local Olympus website has the PL7 at 399 euro body only, compared to 1199 euro for the PEN-F.

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here. Maybe Olympus is starting a third line of camera models? What the heck will follow the E-P5?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I would like to see a E-PM3 ($5-600) and then some type of a E-PL8/E-P6 hybrid ($8-900) and then the PEN-F, seems like that would make a nice range of that body style. Unless maybe the E-P6 will have a EVF but just be a cheaper version of the PEN-F.