Good value inexpensive lenses in EXA/EXAKTA mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by krylovsk, May 22, 2015.

1. krylovsk

krylovsk New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2015
    Looking for a good 135mm lens some time ago, I ended up with a CZJ 4/135 after reading several good reviews of it (from what I can tell - they're all true).
    I've got it in EXA mount for under $20 with shipping (in M42 it's price is 2x of that). The EXA adapter threw me back another $25 though, so now I am wondering how to return this investment by getting more "EXA discounts".
    Can anyone recommend good value inexpensive ($20-30) lenses in EXA mount? Pretty much any FL apart from 135 will be interesting to hear about.

So far I've found Meyer Optik Oreston 50/1.8 (which later got better coating and became Pentacon 50/1.8) and looking into getting one. I have a "long nose" Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS, which is sharp from f2.8 and produces great images, but I find it a bit too long, too heavy, and its focusing in opposite direction compared to other lenses confusing if not irritating. The Oreston got on the radar as a potential replacement for the nikkor.
  2. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Your budget is a bit tight to get anything other than 135's or 50's. The Oreston isn't bad, it's also worth looking at the Carl Zeiss Tessar.
    For just a few more dollars you might find a Meyer optic Lydith (30mm) which isn't bad. I'd avoid Domiplans.

Enna-Munchen produced some useable if not stunning short telephotos that you can sometimes pick up within your budget.
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have an Enna Munchen 240mm f4.5. It's actually quite a good lens, quite sharp from f5.6 (and very good at f8) and with less CA than most legacy telephotos. Unfortunately it has a very long minimum focus distance which limits its verstaility.

I had originally bought it because it's by far the lightest telephoto anywhere near that range. Unfortunately, I thought I was getting the M42 lightweight fixed mount version, and instead ended up with the "Sockel" mount M42 version, which weighs almost twice as much (though still fairly light at around 600-650g, if I recall).
  4. krylovsk

krylovsk New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2015
    Thanks for your responses. I didn't know about Lydith, it looks quite interesting indeed.
    I've seen many Enna telephoto lenses and they are selling for quite low prices. Any specific Enna lenses worth looking into?
    I didn't shoot any telephoto longer that 135mm, but experimenting with something like photographing the moon would be fun (but then I'd need a sharp and fast lens, right?)

Right now I am waiting for the Oreston and thinking of getting a cheap Canon EOS > MFT focal reducer (RJ or Roxsen) and mount EXA > EXA/EOS > FR > MFT. Is this a good idea? Has anyone tried it?
    The difference in flange distance is only 0.7mm (44.7 EXA vs 44 EOS), but there are cheap EXA/EOS adapters available and I've seen several tests from EXA lenses on Canon bodies.
    I'm also planing to get some cheap M42 lenses and it would be nice to mount them on the (same) focal reducer as well (effectively doubling my lens collection).
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have a cheaper Roxsen-like Canon FD focal reducer and use it with M42 lenses via an additional adapter. Sure, I'm probably introducing minor planarity issues...but when you're shooting a 60 year old lens at f1.0 (or even f2), there's not enough in focus across the frame that I'm particularly concerned about that. If there are EXA/EOS adapters that work, you're totally fine. And with the focal reducer, you've even got a little bit of leeway in adjusting infinity focus by rotating the glass elements in the FR.