1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Good source for extra rear caps?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manzoid, Dec 5, 2012.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    To the point:
    Anyone know a place to get rear lens caps for micro four thirds? I have searched eBay and it seems to be nearly $5 for a piece of plastic. I saw some cheaper on Amazon, but the shipping was expensive. Seems crazy to me that the machined aluminum adapters cost only 2-3x the price of the plastic molded rear cap.

More details:
    I have a number of legacy lenses in various mounts, and went with the cheap Chinese eBay adapters. Unfortunately, the adapters usually don't seem to come with a rear cap. Compounding my frustration, a lot of legacy lenses don't have rear caps when sold on eBay.

Do most people here only buy adapters/lenses with rear caps? Is there a simple solution the eludes me?

Cheers for any helpful replies!

2. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    I think you've found your source. Sometimes it is what it is. I bought several rear lens and body caps on Amazon to make the shipping per unit more bearable. I figure I'll lose some here and there and in the big scheme of things I'd rather pay a few bucks/quid now and always have a spare in the bag.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I get my spare rear caps (£1.50 each inc post) from e-bay Roxsen, same place I get my adapters and lately a lens hood.
    They sell to both GtBritain and the USA.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. Seems one could fabricate a custom from SUGRU. Still could be pricey.
    sugru.com

Super handy forrepairs. We use it to beef up apples iPhone cords at the thirty pin connector.

6. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
  7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The Chinese cheap shops usually ship immediately. They do not want to make a commitment.
    I had cases where I got the shipment in less then a week.
    If you want guaranteed shipment you need to pay the extra bucks.
    I was also missing one and made an order now for 0.99, I will update when I get it.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've ordered small items like lens caps from China/HK before and things usually arrive within a couple of weeks. I paid $2/cap including shipping about a year ago and they've held up fine.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I just got a lens cap and a Body cap which set me back 9 dollars for both. I thought it was kinda pricey, but then I remember paying 2 bucks for a telescope eyepiece endcap which is about 1/3 of the size of a mFT lens endcap.

10. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
  11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've ordered these a few times. Located in the US so shipping for our US-members should be quick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
  13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, eBay has a ton of cheap ones shipping from Hong Kong, or China. I usually buy 6 at a time just to have backups When shooting (my tactical pants have 17 pockets to misplace them), and for future acquisitions of legacy lenses with adapters.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah, makes me glad I adapt my legacy lenses to 4/3 instead of m4/3 (and just leave a 4/3 adapter on my body). The cool thing about 4/3 is that OM rear caps fit the same.

15. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I ordered 5 from the link evalon posted.

I ordered the body cap and rear lens cap once before, but unless you plan on making pinhole or homemade adapters a lot, I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do with the extra body caps.

I am a bit cynical, but up until the finding those cheap ones it almost made me think that it was some sort of conspiracy so that the Adapter manufacturer's could recover extra profit on rear caps.

I searched eBay just now to check again, but canon ef rear caps can be had for a dollar or less fairly easily, and the same for nikon. Also generic front lens caps can be had for a dollar easily, so why so expensive on m43? What makes these particular hunks of plastic so precious?

Anyhow, I'll hop down of the soapbox now, but before I do, thanks again to those that offered suggestions.

16. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    Keep it to put it back on when you sell the camera body. :wink:

17. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    This discussion reminded that I've been meaning to get a set of the slim rear caps that are becoming common now. Bought them for about $1.50 each with free shipping on eBay.

18. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I just got "Item Shipped " message regarding the rear cap.
    I will update when I will receive it.

19. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Ah, but I've still got the original in near Mint condition.... Usually my 'body cap' is a lens.

Fastcorner - slim rear caps? Are these the like the ones Olympus includes on their 'non-kit lenses'? (the ones that came with my 14-150 and 9-18 differ from what came with the 14-42 and 40-150)