1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

good sites for learning about shooting video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Hudsonhites, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    Hello All

I'm looking for sites where I can learn about shooting videos especially with dslr & mirrorless cameras.

I'm looking for information on shooting techniques, camera settings, post processing software and post processing.

I've got quite a few holes in my video knowledge I'd like to fill

Thanks

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  3. scuba_suzy

scuba_suzy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    London
    Useful links, thanks.

4. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal

Take look at Philip Bloom - DP, Director, Filmmaker Philip has dozens of short video made with a variety of cameras . They are worth looking at to see how he puts together clips on mostly simple subjects

5. scuba_suzy

scuba_suzy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    London
    I follow him in twitter, I especially liked his recent workshop short of people playing "bananas"! :)

6. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks Peterpix and Kevinparis for the information

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The best ones I know of have already been posted but I will add DVXuser forum. You will get mixed results there as with any forum. There are a few guys who really know their stuff and are happy to help, as well as some trolls/jerks.

What camera are you going to be using? What is your goal in video? Just really good family videos? Documentary? Drama? I shoot a weekly Bible study as well as other short advertisements for the church I work for. We just recently purchased two AF100s. They are great camcorders but overkill for most things.

Are you PC or Mac? How much do you want to spend on software? There are some cheap and even free ones out there but they tend to be lacking. If you are Mac the best editing software is Final Cut{$300}. A friend of mine is into using Hitfilm and it is very good from what he has shown me. There are two versions of it, Ultimate{$400} and Express{$150}. The Ultimate is very similar to the new Final Cut BTW. Sadly it is PC only or I would give it a try.

HitFilm – cutting edge video editing and visual effects software - HitFilm.com

8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
  9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Dave Dugdale's site is one of the worst IMHO. He wastes our time by talking hours worth theory instead of teaching us - in 5 minutes - what camera settings and shooting techniques HE USES to shoot and edit great looking Youtube video.

10. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    M4/3,

I just posted that I found Dave's vario ND filter test useful, and that he made a list of people he follows to learn.

In fact, I have not yet found many places, not even in paid online courses that give much practical examples on how/why to shoot or edit video.

Do you have any examples of places (paid or free) on how to shoot/edit better video? I would appreciate it as have just started up this learning curve.

11. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    You can find many videos on this subject on Vimeo....I sought them out, and learned a lot!!

12. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
  13. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Glad you bumped this thread "sgreszcz".... some really great links in here to check out!

Ill also add the "DV Info Net Forum" to the list... some good "technical" talk and info on that forum for video work.

Personally my favourite M43 resource is this forum but its definitely more "photography" focussed than "video". But thats to be expected.