Good simple image viewer/small editing program for windows

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Klorenzo, May 27, 2014.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Hi, I'd like to suggest a simple FREE software to my sister to start with image post processing. I use linux so I do no longer know windows programs.
    I did a quick google search but there are too many and I can not try them out. I know that Picasa is not what I'm looking for, too simple, too automagical.

Here is what I'm looking for:
    - simple image browser with stars rating, tags, exif info, export, etc. A side to side comparison would be nice.
    - simple photo editing: levels, curves, sharpen, crop, exposure, white balance, not much more. I think Gimp is too confusing and not photo-oriented. I use Darktable but I think it is not that friendly.
    - an old version could be fine if free

Rawtherapee is a my best option at this time.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    I have tried most of them and find Picasa the best one, use it on win and linux.
    So far the easiest for raw conversion too. I don't see why you would say it is too automatic the
    Latest has a lot of control.
    You could try lightzone, now free opensource for Win and linux as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Faststone meets most if not all the requirements you list. I use Lightroom mostly, but I still keep a copy of Faststone on my laptop because I prefer it for some things like full screen viewing and side by side comparison of up to 4 photos at once.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

I have tried, zoner, irfanview, xnview and faststone a while ago (few years).. probably you cannot go wrong with any of them as all are free and pretty good freeware.. In my daily use, fastsone is my viewer and it is handy for simple editing (though I really wished other advanced programs has its levels adjustment option independent for each channel, it is handy). It is both fast as a viewer and editor. Though I have not used tags and star ratings not sure even possible? limited exif viewing is there for sure. exif editing? not sure?

rawtherapee is much more solid compared to all these freeware I have listed, and I use it occasionally for editing but never for viewing (it is really slow at least in my desktop-it is an old one I admit) ..

This site compares few of free viewers.

For not viewing but editing other two options I remember where
    Photscape and Photofiltre, they were quite handy during my point and shoot days without any adobe stuff..

list of few other freeware viewers here

good luck
    if no time to go over, you may just stick with faststone.. it is more than enough for most.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I use XNView for viewing; RawTherapee and Gimp for editing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Like has been said, Picasa is pretty much a fit for what you're describing. I don't like it a ton, but it's there, and free.

My other suggestions would be elements 11, not free but cheap maybe, or just sell her the value of Lightroom!

•••GX1+LVF-2+Olympus 17mm f/2.8, GF3; Konica FS-1, C35v; various lenses•••
    • Like Like x 1
  7. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    What software came with her camera? That would be the first place to look.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    BTW, XNView can do basic editing, but no curves afaics.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks for all the answers. I checked most of them and I also found this one: Zoner Photo Studio free.

FastStone looks good too, but the site is quite ugly and there is not even one screenshot...I'll look around for some videos/reviews.

The camera is a G6, I think you know better than me which software is shipped with Panasonic cameras. Is it good?
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
  11. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Another Vote for FastStone I have ACDSee Pro, AfterShot Pro, and CaptureOne on my system, but when I'm looking for fast and easy, I turn to FastStone.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Panasonic cameras ship with a special version SilkyPix Developer Studio. It has all the editing features you're looking for except the asset management. It will edit tif and jpeg files as well as Panasonic raw files.

The biggest drawback to SilkyPix is that it's user interface is different than many other applications. For some one with no experience it might not be a problem. It drives me crazy.

Coupled with a decent free asset management tool it might make a good choice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Another vote for Faststone and picasa. I haven't used faststone for a while, but liked it before I got LR.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Todd Cleaver
    +1 for FastStone.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I used Faststone as my default image viewer. Been using it for years. Although I'm a LR user Faststone does a good job for simple edits. Another good free program is Paint.Net. However the most powerful free image editor is Gimp. Which I also use.
  16. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    If you want a web based solution that is not tied to an OS at all, you can try the Pixlr Editor.

I am currently using it on a Chromebook and it works very well for what it is.
  17. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I use both Windows (XP, 7 & 8) and Linux (Mint 13 & 14) and a number of programs in post. FastStone is excellent and used for downloading/renaming and general culling of images, but, it doesn't do keyword-type tagging. I even donated to the guy.

My primary program for tagging, flagging, color rating, & "starring" is DigiKam which is a Linux program ported to Windows. DigiKam will also tag raw images which is most helpful, although the raw tags will not show up in Windows Explorer (but I don't care). IMO the most stable Windows port of DigiKam is v3.3. Vs 3.4 & 3.5 crashed regularly and 4.0 hasn't been ported as yet. Post processing can be simple or as complex as you want. Before & after, half & half, side-by-side views available. Plus I can call 3rd party programs - Silkypix 5.0, PaintshopPro, Topaz, Nik, Qimage, OnOne, Gimp, Photomatix, and others. I just about ditched Lightroom, Elements and all Adobe products for the past year.