Good quality adaptor?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DaveyA, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I am looking to buy an OM to 4/3 adaptor for my EM5. Could anyone recommend a particular one. I am looking for a supplier in the UK. There is one on Amazon that gets good reviews and it is only around £8, there is another for £25 that also gets good reviews. I am a great believer in that you only get what you pay for. But I thought I would ask the question before I purchase one.
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have used Fotodiox branded adapters in the past and been well served. The only real change is how tight the tolerances are for the thickness of the adapter. If it is too short, it will allow focusing past infinity. Too long, and it won't reach.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I haven't been able to discern any significant, consistent difference between any of the adapter brands which sell for less than US$30 (roughly 20 GBP). This category of adapters is primarily made in China and is populated by such brands as RainbowImaging, Fotasy, Fotga, Pixco, etc.

The much more expensive adapters from Novoflex, Olympus and Rayqual are likely to be engineered and manufactured to stricter tolerances and I'd look for these brands if I had some very high-end OM glass.

There does appear to be a middle ground between these very expensive adapters and the low-end, which is represented by brands like Kipon and KiwiFotos. If you're willing to spend a few more dollars above the Chinese cheapies, these seem to be a bit more solid/reliable.

For the kinds of lenses I shoot with (think sub-$20 finds) I tend just take my chances with the cheapest adapters I can find on eBay (generally in the < US$15 range).
  4. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I have the Fotodiox adapter for OM lenses, and I had to use the instructions in the Sticky thread about sorting out a loose adapter. No problems with infinity focus though.
  5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I bough a cheap one from Ebay or Amazon, it has no brand name but it's made out of aluminum and it's black (anodizad?). Anyway, it seems to work OK with my 50mm and 24mm OM lenses.
    I don't think there is any difference between any of those except the price. They are just a piece of machined aluminum. My advise is to buy from Amazon where you can always send it back practically for any reason.....
  7. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I have settled on a Fotodiox ordered from Amazon. I have read the guide in the "sticky" in case it is a bit loose. I might get lucky and get a good one though.