Good price for used 40-150/2.8 Pro?

Slinky Malinki

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I’m meeting a gentleman tomorrow night to complete a Kijiji purchase of an Olympus 12-50/3.5-6.3, which I intend to use as an alternative “macro” to stop my wife monopolizing the O60/2.8 when we shoot together!

This chap also has a clean-looking 40-150/2.8 Pro. I asked him to bring it along so I can test it out. I don’t often need a lens of this length, since I primarily shoot with the O12-100/4 and O60/2.8, so this would be a like-to-have, rather than a need-to-have purchase.

He is asking CAD$1,400 (~US$1,075). What would be a good, but not unreasonable, price for a used 40-150/2.8 Pro? I was thinking CAD$1,100 (~US$850). I wonder what a used camera reseller would offer.

Convincing my wife of the necessity of another $1,000+ lens purchase is an entirely different challenge!

Thanks

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
There was one recently listed on our sale board here for $850 usd and sold on an offer. No idea what the final price was but this guys $1k+ usd seems excessive for a private sale. Checking keh.com which is as good as any USA site to baseline retail used prices has this lens listed for between $840-$1080 depending on condition but again keeping in mind this is a retail store not a private seller and they also offer a 180 warranty as well as a 14-day full refund policy if you change your mind.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
$800-850 is the most I would pay, especially if you're meeting in person and not having to ship or PayPal or anything. All that stuff costs more money and introduces more risk, so you should get a discount, especially if you're buying more than one item. Just think of the time you're saving the seller if he can move two items in one meet.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I was able to purchase one for $730 and the lens is in excellent condition. I feel I got very lucky as most of the listings I see are in the $900 range. I'd expect to pay $850 or so, but if you keep looking, you may do better. Needless to say, the 40-150 Pro is a fantastic lens.

Slinky Malinki

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Postscript: I negotiated the price down to CAD$1,000 (~US$770), so I'm now the excited owner of a pristine 40-150/2.8 Pro!

IMG_0313.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And what about the 12-50EZ...
No mention of that in all the excitement!
?

Slinky Malinki

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil
And what about the 12-50EZ...
No mention of that in all the excitement!
?

I haven’t used it outdoors yet. What with Covid-19 lockdowns, brutal winter weather, and the demands of remote teaching, I simply haven’t had time or, honestly, desire. My photographic interests are quite narrow, focusing mostly on native flora, so I guess I’m a seasonal photographer.

I did play around with the 12-50, shooting static subjects indoors, and although it seemed to perform fine the focusing felt a bit clicky and it was noisy. I guess my initial impression left me underwhelmed. We’ll see how it performs in Spring out in the field.

Latest threads

Top Bottom