Good portrait/bokeh lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WT21, Oct 13, 2010.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am really missing my 5D for portrait shots with good bokeh.

Anyone have a recommendation for a legacy lens that could produce the kind of bokeh (or at least spectral highlights) in the picture below? My wife says I can't post pictures of her on-line, so here she's disguised (though she'd be mad at me even more, if she saw the picture of her I posted, lol! She's a very beautiful woman, but this picture is almost scary!)

Right now I have an OM 50mm 2.0 macro which is my current "portrait" lens, but I'd like something faster. I also have a 50mm 1.4 Pentax Supertak, but it's REALLY soft at 1.4. I'd like something a bit sharper.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Not legacy, but the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 is an awesome portrait lens with excellent bokeh.

3. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    At bargain prices, the Industar f2.8 50mm is a fine lens with wonderful Bokeh.
    The Minolta f 1.4 50mm MD/MC is great and both can be found for little cash. Most older 50mm lens will be both cheap and sharp enough for portraits. After all just how sharp do you want?

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Though I have only taken a few shots with it, and none as a portrait, I find the Pentax-M 50/1.4 pretty good wide open. Have not really tested the bokeh but hope to use it some this weekend.

[​IMG]

And my Pentax-M 50/1.7 (which my daughter has) was also pretty good wide open, probably a tad better.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    would that be the Industar-61? I never considered that a portrait lens.. too contrasty.. altho great for other uses

a good Jupiter-8 specimen would be outstanding, tho.. and can be found for $40 or less

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I kind of like a bit of softness in a portrait lens.

7. juno

juno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2010
    I bought a Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 for this purpose. Only taken a few test shots with it, nothing worth posting but my impression is it is a superb lens, lovely bokeh.

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    For M4/3 the Konica 57 1.2 is a beauty there are some nice samples on the forums here. Another option is a Zeiss 45 or 90 for Contax G. One of the nice things about the Zeiss Contax G lenses besides the wonderful color, sharpness and contrast is the small form factor.