1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good portable printers 6x4 (poscards)

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Chrisnmn, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys, like the title says im looking for a "portable" printer that could print postcards (6x4 -ish) . Im NOT looking for an A3 size desktop printer. but im also not looking for a Polaroid POGO zink printer. just something with really nice quality that is not going to fade after 2 months hanging from some friend or family fridge...you know what i mean?. Ive seen those DYE little printers, they seem nice, but cant seem to find good reviews or good info about them....and as you all know home printers market is quite overwhelming the amount of stuff floating so im just asking what do you guys use if any... all my big/frame/museum/living-room/quality prints, i print them in specific studios and labs so nothing like that. Portability is also a plus when suggesting something....also maybe not just something to recommend but something to avoid is also helpful.

thanks in advance guys!!!.
    Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I just bought and returned a Canon SELPHY CP900. It has a printer ribbon cartridge that must have got stuck after printing all of five prints (out of a 36-print kit), as it suddenly reported "out of ink" and refused to do anything. I just packed it up and returned it. These little printers have had mixed reviews, and I'm sad to say I can't give it a good review. I'm giving up for the search for now....

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    That's a shame. My little Selphy has been going perfectly for years. The prints are good but not great (no profiles available etc) but as a quick printer for family snapshots it's been great to have around the home.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    so is the selphy worth or not really?. how hard it is to get supplies? whats the cost per postcard?

thank you guys for all the feedback so far!

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Oz prices for supplies are out of line with other places. It cost me about 15c per print. I can get supplies locally but that cost a bit more. I usually just order a couple of packs and reorder when I load the last one.

I'm happy enough to keep feeding it.

Gordon

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I got the CP900 on sale for ~$68 at Amazon. A 36-pack (paper & ink) cost $12.99, so that would put each print at $0.36. A friend has an older model and hasn't had any trouble with hers. I was just looking for something to print out an occasional 4x6, but having a failure so soon after purchase turned me off. Had that not happened, I'd have kept the printer. I don't know if it was the printer or that the ink cartridge jammed. I'm known to pick out the defective item out of several, so it might just be my bad luck. :wink:

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thank guys for all the info. at 70 bucks sounds like a pretty sweet deal...but guess what?....amazon "cannot" ship that item to me. oh lucky me.