1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good Photoshop retouching books?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rawfa, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    Hi,

As many may know, I have as much fun "developing" my photos on Photoshop as I do taking them. When I was first learning about photography about 15 years ago I was very intrigued by all the different lab development processes...today the same curiosity transmits for Photoshop, a tool that I´m constantly exploring. So I was wondering about some good books about retouching with photoshop for fashion, advertising and modern photography.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I can't recommend a book I haven't read one since version 3, but there are some tutorials on Adobe.com and also a lot of good ones on You Tube. Its worth using Google to find specific tutorials, I found a couple of useful ones for Dreamweaver the other day. Before buying any books I would suggest a trip down to the library, but with such large softwares such as PS what you want is something where you can look for the specific thing you want to do.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Layers (dated but valuable, and likely cheap) by Matt Kloskowski
    Hidden Power of Blend Modes by Scott Valentine

Those are two great starts as those are the 2 basic concepts that are most important imo. Plenty of video work out there on youtube and vimeo for specialty tool sets on how to best use curves, and the other adjustment layers. Or even the tool palette on the left. If you like the vid make sure to mark it somehow so you can get back to it easily for a refresher on it.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    dang that's one of the better freq separation video's I've seen. If not the best. Wish I saw that one the first time I tried. I usually use 16 bit, and most don't tell you there's a difference between 16 and 8, or if they do they don't mention 16's numbers. great find. AND A FREE ACTION!? thanks for that one.

6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Don't know if this is the right forum. But today I got a book with the most amazing Photoshop-works. Great source for inspirating photo montage. I really like the genre but have rarely good ideas myself so this can be a kick starting thing :) here is the book:

25109205439_0700183795_b.
    Imagine - Erik Johansson
    by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

And his website with some photos, you must take a look:

Work

7. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    My favorite PS book was Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann. But it's written for an older version of PS, so some things it shows can be done more easily now with newer PS tools.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Start with all the free videos on Youtube.