Good photo ops in chicago, ideas?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jbuch84, Mar 30, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Heading to chicago this weekend. Know I'm going to a game at wrigley field and a concert at the double door. Any ideas of other places to snap photos? It's a bach party and time is limited but I'm still wanting to take the gf2 . I own a 14mm, 14-45mm, 45-200m and then various adapted lenses including a olympus zuiko 1.8 ... Take them all? just curious, thanks for the ideas guys!

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think it's called Millenium Park, there is a huge, curvy sculpture that offers a lot of angles for photo ops.

All kinds of architecture (including a few Frank Llloyd Wright houses) ... of course, big city street photography ... the lake shore ...

To be honest, I don't think you will have to look for photo ops.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Chicago Photo Ops

Whoa, it would be better if location of hotel or party was known, almost as cool as say London or Paris...

The L and its old stations and structures and subway; old buildings, some now converted to condos like the Montgomery Ward building; famous building interiors and mansions; the Loop; there is one street, called the street of doors, which I will not name to save the residents from more harassment, but where each home and door is different; neighborhood pubs and home styles, the museum structures and those who go there; the Lake Front; Parks; harbors; bridges; statues and monuments and fountains; rivers; steel mills; railroad yards; Water Tower area; Cabrini Green; hang around Cal's bar downtown at Jackson and Canal, you want to see a variety of Chicago denizens, riche et povre; the fire stations, water works on Montrose Ave, if still open; the fests; Navy Pier; Chicago University and the magnificent churches in every neighborhood...the Couch Mausoleum, "bug house" square;
    Wacker Drive; Drake Hotel; Michigan Ave and all who walk it; Wrigley Field and Building, Tribune Tower...

And all change with the seasons...

Life is too short to touch them all. Carry camera at all times. Watch yourself. You need a "city sense" to not come to harm in some areas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The whole city is one non-stop photo opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zeamays

Zeamays Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 6, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Photographing in Chicago is awesome fun. I've only scratched a tiny little bit of it with my two trips 'into town' this winter. Hope to do a lot more over the summer. Everywhere is great for photos, Millennium Park is maybe a bit overdone, but there are opportunities there beyond the normal tourist shot of the Bean. Check out the Chicago Cultural Center if you have time, I think the Vivian Maier exhibit is still on, there. And it has amazing interiors to photograph.

I don't know if there's really anything impressive in here, but this is what I've done in Chicago, so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeamays/collections/72157625939073084/

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    Flying in? If conditions are right you can get some awesome images depending on the approach and time of day. Coming in over the lake can be awesome.

I like the river and bridges downtown. Look for riverwalk areas along Wacker drive. There is serious rebuilding going on the west side of the Loop on Wacker, so you might get some interesting stuff if you can see over the construction fence.

The whole city is one big photo op. Have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Thanks for all the ideas guys, I've been to chicago before and knew of millenium park and navy pier. Just looking for hidden gems. You guys have mentioned many good places I hadn't heard of! I'm driving to champaign part and train the rest. Staying at the Tremont on Michigan Ave. and heading to acubs game and concert at the double door

8. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    Food is good at the Parthenon in Greek Town and Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

Ambience (and photo ops) can be had at the Billy Goat Tavern on the lower level of Michigan Avenue across from Tribune Tower.

The Rookery can be an inspiration for photographs

Sunrise on the lake can give some cool images.

• Like Like x 1