1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Good paper to print this....

Discussion in 'Printing' started by tomO2013, Aug 12, 2014.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I would like your advice...

I would like to get this photo printed

Ireland.... Misty Beach
    by tom.ohle, on Flickr

My dilemma is what paper to use.... I deliberately developed it to try and get an Agfa APX25 look to it. I've added some grain in post.

I've been tempted by PhotoRag bright white to try and maintain the contrast between white and black and the different grey tones in between. The only thing is I'm not sure if the photo would suit a matt finish. I'm trying to recreate the look of real photographic paper.

In the glossy finish I could go with Photo Rag Satin and Photo Rag Pearl which may be more suitable with the glossy nature - but the neither of which are as white as photorag bright white. However I do like the grain in the Photo Rag Satin.

A friend had suggested trying to print on metal....

Any opinions? Advice? Will the grain that I have added in post likely come through or be lost in the final print (it is quite fine as it is). I've printed TriX400 'look' to photo rag baryta before and had to massive bump up the grain in post beyond what I would do for screen to get it to come through. It came out ok.

Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated :)

Tom.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess it's all personal, but I don't think it would look good on gloss paper, a pearl finish I think would show the detail better (especially by minimising reflections). Museo Silver rag is very good when it comes to B&W.

3. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I tend to agree, a pearl would probably work better in B&W. Ray have you ever printed to that paper with grain that has been post processed, any idea how it would hold up or would it need significant increase in additional grain in PP before sending to print?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    No, I haven't done that, so I can't say how it would come out. I think testing would be in order and it's pretty easy to do without wasting paper. Create several images at higher levels of grain and then take crops of each one (a part that would stand out), and combine into a single image, then do a print.

5. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    You sir. Are a genius! Ta! I was about to blow 3 or 4 sheets worth of Hahnemule test prints to see how the grain would come out.
    It's pretty late here... I'm just about to blow one page now :)
    My local camera store stocks Museo Silver Rag, I'm going to go down tomorrow and see what I think of it. I like the 100% cotton look for B&W prints and quite a few people rave about it for fine art...

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I wouldn't print that on an inkjet. I'd go with a classic gelatin photo print, especially seeing as that's the look you want, that and the whites are so meh on inkjets.

Edit:
    A lot of labs still print that way, even with digital. If you're in the US I know a couple.

7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I would give it a try on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and a good Inkjet (8 or 9 color one). The paper has a pleasant base white (no use of fluorescent whiteners), a semi-gloss finish that is just right to get a nice contrast without too much reflections and the maximum black is very black. Since your (lovely) image has no blown out white, I don't think Just Jim's remark applies here.

If you really want to emulate silver halide paper, go for silver halide paper. Ilford offers in Europe a printing service of digital on Multigrade FB. But IGFS is pretty close.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The Gold Fibre Silk is also very good, I have that as well. White is just paper white, so it's only a matter of what sort of white you're after, just like in the old days. Metamerism is the worst that will happen, most noticeable with gloss papers, so the choice of paper and ink will make a difference. There's so much choice nowadays when it comes to papers, that there isn't anything that's really bad. I've posted this reference before (Australian), but it's very good when it comes to fine art printing etc: http://www.imagescience.com.au/index.php. This is my source for photo paper.

9. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    Yes. Exactly. it's the fluorescent whiteners that I want to avoid. The Ilford gold fibre silk is a lovely paper and has a very nice grain to it, but it isn't as bright as photo rag pearl and I want something that can show up the contrast in white and black without being glossy.

I asked my local print house if they can provide gelatin prints which would give me the old school photographic paper look that I want ....but they don't do anything quite so specialized. Do you mind sharing who you normally use for your gelatin prints? I'm going to actually try getting two prints of this on different paper and give one of them away as a present (whenever I get around to making another frame :) ). Right now I am leaning towards trying Museo silver rag and possibly sending away from a gelatin print as well.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys.
    Really appreciate the help.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    If you're in the US. I use Photosynthesis in Manchester CT for non chromogenic B&W http://photosynthesisct.com/
    and all my color work is done at http://www.printmakersinc.com/ Silver paper is standard here. They only offer Chromogenic B&W which loses some tonality compared to "real" B&W.

Both are local to me.