Good P&S for traveling, fully automatic?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ksn, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Any suggestions on a slick P&S with good IQ for traveling, landscapes, and typical vacation shots?

Looking for something for my mother :cool: who will probably be in automatic 100% of the time. Nice video recording would be a plus too. I don't have too much time to do a lot of research, but with a little looking around, the Sony H55/HX5 seems decent.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What kind of traveling?

I got the wife a Panny ts2 because she is hard on stuff. Good picture quality and video, and built to take whatever you can dish out

3. Any of the Panasonic TZ series cameras (or ZS as I believe they are known in some places).

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Canon makes some wonderful little cameras. I have one (an old Canon Elph) with no controls at all, well it does have an on off button and a zoom. I've gotten some marvelous photographs with it and still use it quite often.

Another thing to consider is whether you want regular batteries, where you'll be traveling if they're available or whether you want the rechargeable types that most of us use. Most of my non photographer friends like to have the ones where they know they can buy batteries if they need them.

5. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Sony WX1

I too looked at the H55 and HX5 but settled on a WX1 for 1 really important reason - it's fast. Shutter Lag of less than 0.1 secs.

I rejected the HX5 because of GPS which I see as more of a risk than a benefit and a huge battery drain. The H55 does have more zoom but a poorer sensor than the WX1.

These are all last generation cameras and currently great value for money but a whole new raft of Sonys are on the way/ just launched.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Do you need it to be waterproof?

If so, I'd get a TX5 or wait for the much improved TX10.

If not, I'd go with a Canon S90/S95.

7. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    I have a sony HX5 that I bought just before I started my micro four thirds journey last year. Its not had much use, but I have some out of the camera shots you might be interested to see.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/briar34/5540521151/" title="South Queensferry by Briar34, on Flickr"> 5540521151_aec01ca3ac_b. "1024" height="225" alt="South Queensferry" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/briar34/5541065746/" title="South Queensferry by Briar34, on Flickr"> 5541065746_40b679d781_b. "1024" height="768" alt="South Queensferry" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/briar34/5540519223/" title="South Queensferry by Briar34, on Flickr"> 5540519223_d09218611a_b. "1024" height="225" alt="South Queensferry" /></a>

The simplicity of the panaromic pictures are what attacted me to this camera. Its an easy camera to use and compact.

• Like Like x 3
  8. nursenicole

nursenicole Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    my old Sony Cybershot DSC-W90 served me very well, both for automatic shooting and just a taste of programmable functions. my flickr photostream from before Feb 2011 is all images from that camera -- it definitely took a beating from me, out in the woods and other countries on all manner of adventure - and it's still truckin' along, just not getting as much use these days since I got the E-PL1.

9. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm just visiting my parents, so I only had a day or so to get one, no internet shopping for me. I looked around Best Buy (ugh), and brought back the Nikon S9100 and the Canon S95. Perhaps a bit more feature packed than she'll know what to do with, but I think we're keeping the S95 and returning the S9100. The Nikon was tempting with 18x zoom, but the low light images on the Canon came out much better, the body feels more durable, lighter and more compact.

I played around with the Sony HX5 display model and the screen quality was a bit disappointing.

10. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    do you need allot of zoom, or better low light?

For a compact with allot of zoom the casio fh100 is a very good travel zoom.

For more low light the sd4500 form canon, and for even better low light the s95. Best low light point and shoot olympus xz-1

11. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I didn't see any of those you listed at Best Buy. Perhaps I'll stop by Wolf or Ritz tomorrow. Looks like there might be one in the vicinity.

12. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    This is a good read on travel zooms like the hx5v and fh100

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q210grouptravelzoom/

But with zoom you give up low light, as it is mutually exclusive in the point and zoom world. Have zoom, not great at in low light, have low light very short zoom.