good oldies for dipping a toe into m43

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pellicle, Mar 3, 2016.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I started out with a G1, but 2 years later because I wanted "some" video bought a GH1 as they were then cheap enough to swap out my G1 for.

I've been happy with my GH1 since then and there was no doubt in my mind that as a stills camera it was ahead of my G1.

Our Media Production unit at work got a GH4 and I thought it would be interesting to look at a few things between the cameras.

in my view ...: GH1 vs GH4 - generations

Generally the cameras compare favourably and aside from the possibility of a few more pixels the GH1 has stacked up well for those of us who use RAW and just want stills.

Now of course for video there is no competition, the GH4 is the one. But for someone who's a still oriented shooter and not wanting to commit a lot on a "toe dipper" then my post may convince you that a GH1 is actually an excellent "sleeper" in the older range that you can pick up for under $200 in excellent condition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Now with the prices of new E-M5's that low, i think even used ones can be found for that price. 16Mp, 5 axis and weather sealing... I'd rather take that, but GH1 has it's good points too.

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

wow ... E-M5's for $150 ... if you see one pick it up!

My only grief with buying Oly used is that I see a scary amount of threads involving faults with them, so I'd get one new but I'd be worried used. IBIS is more moving parts to me.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you can get a well used one and can confirm that it doesn't have the usual faults (dial problems, sticky shutter near 1/4000s underexposing, lug loose, cracked LCD frame), I get the feeling they tend to last. Otherwise you really do have to buy brand new and hope that any faults develop within the warranty period.

5. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought an E-P3, sold it as I bought an E-P5 which is better in every way... and promptly bought another. It is a beautiful camera, and still takes fantastic pictures as long as the light is good. Amazingly cheap now, but I never hear about them in this forum.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

thanks for adding this...

I am hoping this thread takes off with suggestions of older cameras which are great and well priced used and will perhaps encourage people to dip their toe into the world of m43

:)

7. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think we're now in a good position with mu43 with very good quality used cameras from only a few years back being available for not a lot of money now. When I first got a GX7 it cost £1000 and came with a 20mm f/1.7, now you can pick up the same package for £350 brand new! All of the cameras that were top of the range in 2013 are still excellent cameras today.

8. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    I have my first mirrorless, an E-PL2, for less than $100, and I use it with a VF4 EVF (which cost me more than the E-PL2), which is really nice.

9. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I too have an EPL2 that I bought refurbished 2 years ago (just bought another from KEH with only 800 actuations for $160), The EPL2 may be only 12 mp but it is well made , beautiful, and punches way above it's weight. Also have a great Pany G3 that I use to shoot products on a tripod with studio lights that is also a great camera.

10. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    I've been thinking about a Pany also, mainly because I have some Panasonic lenses, and the G3 is on my short list. I use the VF4 with my E-PL2, but for the Pany, I prefer one with a built-in viewfinder like the G3, but it (the G3) looks huge compared to my E-PL2, almost DSLR size like my Pentax K-2, and I don't really want another large camera :(...

11. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Actually the G3 is tiny. (This isn't the GH3). Great image quality. It is literally the same size as the EPL2. Check out comparison. Plus KEH has a few at killer prices.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

12. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I have (and still use) a G3, and it is pretty small. My only beef with it is I often accidentally hit the various buttons on the back RHS with my right thumb. I believe the later G series cameras may be better in this respect, but are probably bigger too. But G3s are really cheap now.

13. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    OTOH, I'd really, really like an E-P5, and they have come down in price a lot, but 300 quid is still unjustifiable when I have a G3 and E-PM2...

14. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    The reason I was looking towards a Pany is, as I said, I have some Panasonic lenses, and I'm curious to see if OIS works any better than IBIS.

15. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Lol, still using my GF1 almost as much as my GX8. Still take great photos and with my pancake lenses, still a great compact camera. Would love to get a GM1 or GM5 but I can live with my GF1 while waiting for them to get even cheaper. As for IQ, in good light, at ISO100, I do sometimes think the output to be better than my GX8 in those same conditions. Course performance sucks, no built-in EVF (do have the optional LVF1 but don't use it anymore so I can keep the GF1 compact as possible) and above ISO800 it starts to look ugly but still, love that camera, such a pleasure to use :)

• Like Like x 1