1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good night shot example...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fiLigor, Dec 11, 2012.

1. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm looking for good lens for my GX1 producing good stars around light sources on night shots. Unfortunately my PZ 14-42 X makes smeary stars :frown:. Please be kind to place advices and examples

2. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Sorry if I'm completely missing the point, but if what you want is stars around light sources, are you not looking for a star filter rather than a different lens?

3. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    On my D7000 and 35mm-1.8 combo it's enough to jam an aperture up to f16/22 so any small light source produces nice stars with multiple beams around. AFAIK 50mm AF also are good for this. But I tried to get the same on my GX1/PZ 14-42mm X and there is a blur immediately after the edge of a light source. I still can't recognize if it's wrong settings, poor lens performance or sensor influence. Unfortunately besides a Samyang 7.5mm lens I have PZ only so I can't play to find a solution.

Attached Files:

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  5. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the link but I have 8 beams filter already. The problem is that these filters are producing totally different type of beams. And mine has maximum 8 beams. Any lens with 7 blades' aperture produces 14 beams. Compare stars on the pictures below - a bridge was done without filter but with f22. The second one with the filter. They look different!

Attached Files:

6. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    So nobody has night shots with bright light sources in a frame?! I would not believe that! C'mon guys, drop a couple, not for me only but for those seeking the same after me as well!..

7. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    OK, once again - can ANYBODY tell which lens can make such stars without any filter (these were done with Panny LX5)? ANY example, ple-e-ase!!! :smile:

Attached Files:

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I tend to shoot wideopen, as I am not a fan of these stars, they can be quite distracting to my work (nighttime car shots)

however, any lens should do it, just stop it down.

9. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    I did but it didn't work with my PZ at least...:frown:

10. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    OK, I had to survive myself... f22 makes these stars but does whole the picture softer - it's quite a lot for M43. f16 is a good compromise between overall sharpness and starry effect. Or there is another option - f5.6/f22 blending combination in post processing.

Attached Files:

11. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    You ever think it may not be WHAT you're shooting the stars with, but HOW you're shooting them?