1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Good night shot example...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fiLigor, Dec 11, 2012.

1. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm looking for good lens for my GX1 producing good stars around light sources on night shots. Unfortunately my PZ 14-42 X makes smeary stars :frown:. Please be kind to place advices and examples

2. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Sorry if I'm completely missing the point, but if what you want is stars around light sources, are you not looking for a star filter rather than a different lens?

3. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    On my D7000 and 35mm-1.8 combo it's enough to jam an aperture up to f16/22 so any small light source produces nice stars with multiple beams around. AFAIK 50mm AF also are good for this. But I tried to get the same on my GX1/PZ 14-42mm X and there is a blur immediately after the edge of a light source. I still can't recognize if it's wrong settings, poor lens performance or sensor influence. Unfortunately besides a Samyang 7.5mm lens I have PZ only so I can't play to find a solution.

Attached Files:

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
  5. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the link but I have 8 beams filter already. The problem is that these filters are producing totally different type of beams. And mine has maximum 8 beams. Any lens with 7 blades' aperture produces 14 beams. Compare stars on the pictures below - a bridge was done without filter but with f22. The second one with the filter. They look different!

Attached Files:

6. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    So nobody has night shots with bright light sources in a frame?! I would not believe that! C'mon guys, drop a couple, not for me only but for those seeking the same after me as well!..

7. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    OK, once again - can ANYBODY tell which lens can make such stars without any filter (these were done with Panny LX5)? ANY example, ple-e-ase!!! :smile:

Attached Files:

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I tend to shoot wideopen, as I am not a fan of these stars, they can be quite distracting to my work (nighttime car shots)

however, any lens should do it, just stop it down.

9. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    I did but it didn't work with my PZ at least...:frown:

10. fiLigor

fiLigor Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    OK, I had to survive myself... f22 makes these stars but does whole the picture softer - it's quite a lot for M43. f16 is a good compromise between overall sharpness and starry effect. Or there is another option - f5.6/f22 blending combination in post processing.

Attached Files:

11. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    You ever think it may not be WHAT you're shooting the stars with, but HOW you're shooting them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.