Good News! New lenses from Panasonic

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ijm5012, Jun 4, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Do any of you own a Panasonic 14-42 II, 45-150, or 14-140 II and just think "Geewiz, I really like this lens but the metallic finish just makes me want to throw up."? Well good news, Panasonic has listened to you, and have released their "Matte Black Series" of lenses (http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-announces-the-matte-black-lens-series/)

While there are definitely a number of gaps still present in Panasonic's lineup, I'm glad to see they've released the exact same lenses but with a different exterior.

In all seriousness, I hope they didn't pull too many resources from the group that actually designs the optics to do this. I would much rather have a modernized 100-300 than have people spend their time coming up with a new exterior design for existing lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I doubt this sort of thing requires too much of the optical design team. I quite like the new look, although not nearly enough to go out and place pre-orders for any of these lenses.

Calling it matte black is a bit of a stretch, since the barrels of these lenses appear to have a decent amount of sheen. I guess the marketing team determined that "Satin Black Series" just didn't have the same lustre.

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think the real reason they did it was to remove all of the "HD" branding that they put on their lenses, since they're now championing the push to 4k. Nothing like having a camera that can shoot 4k, with a lens that says "HD" on it.

I too don't think it consumed too many resources from the lens design team, I just hope that they're actually working on an updated 100-300. If they release that, I'll be happy as a clam.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mwing

Mwing Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    so these are the g7 bundle lens?

5. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i hope they'll also have the 35-100mm in this series as i'm not a big fan of the purplish tint of the current f2.8 lenses.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Bonus if they fix the OIS at the same time ;)

7. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

It's more of a stretch to announce "new" lenses when all that it amounts to is an exterior colour change...

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Looks like matte to me.

9. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I am more excited to see what Panasonic has coming later this year.

http://naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-execs-come-to-bozeman/

"As you can imagine, I can’t relate specific details about what might be coming. But I can say that Lumix does have a lens in development that’s nearly ready to go. It will be a huge leap forward and something I’m extremely excited about and I’m confident others will feel the same. Equally important as the knowledge of this new lens was our discussions regarding ideas for future optics."

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/...mail&utm_content=read_more#comment-2036218158

"The rep also mentioned that a 300mm (prime, I'm assuming) lens was on the drawing board for them, but didn't offer any further info about it .... It sounded like it would be more professional than the 100-300."

• Like Like x 1
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    How much are you willing to pay?

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I want them to re-issue all lens in Chameleon - Black lenses look odd on my Orange GM1 and silver lens don't look right on my Black GM1.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Anyone else notice there were two tints to the grey bits?
    At one point I had a 14-45 with purplish grey and one with greenish grey,
    but all the f2.8 zooms I've seen had the purplish grey.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Panasonic seems to keep making odd choices. They might win a few buyers away from the 300mm/f4 if their version has OIS, but only if they release it around the same time. And I'm not sure that specific niche is where they need to be in order to monetize the system best. A 1xx-400mm zoom would likely be more welcomed into the fold by buyers for whom every mm of FL at the long end matters.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I didn't click the link, should I click the link??

Either manufacturer to actually create a 300mm that's more than vapourware will win many many orders, now that the bodies are really up to the job of C-AF on vermin/animals/birds etc.

15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panasonic has so many good lenses. It is just that maybe 90% of them fall with the 14-45mm range. Their last few lenses were primes in that range again. Time to branch out, isn't it?
    How about:

• a 8 or 9mm rectilinear prime
    • something to compete with the 75mm f1.8, like a 67.5mm f1.7 IOS?
    • a long 90-100mm f2.8 macro prime with a focus limiter so it could be used for sports, too
    • 200 or 300mm prime would be welcome.
    • Pro grade long zoom.
    • 12-100 zoom instead of another 14-140?
    • Crazy super telephoto like a 500mm
    I would have guessed any of these seemed like more obvious holes than the 30mm macro they just released.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I think the main issue is that long, fast lenses mean lots of glass. And almost all M4/3 lenses contain lots of special glass (aspherical, extra low dispersion, high refractive index, etc...) to achieve their resolution. So the cost for a lot of those lenses is likely to be very high indeed, and there just might not be a market for $1500+ M4/3 lenses these days or in the future...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe. But that doesn't mean there is a huge market for more glass in the 14-45mm range, either. That was mainly my point. I don't care if it is a 300mm f2.8 or a 9mm f2.8, I just want something different!

18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Fair enough. I do think the 8-9mm rectilinear prime and the 12-100mm would sell like hotcakes. The rest are a bit more specialty. Ideally they wouldn't go bonkers on the aperture for the UWA prime, either, to keep it compact and affordable (i.e. less expensive than the 12mm f/2).

19. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Not only are longer lenses missing but the existing high quality ones such as 60mm Macro, 75mm, 40-150mm and coming soon 300mm all require an Olympus body for stabilization. If Panasonic doesn't respond soon many Panasonic body owners will switch to Olympus just for the stabilization, even if they prefer the Panasonic bodies. I would be one of them, having owned a G1/GH2 and now GH3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Panasonic should differentiate themselves from Olympus by going to different focal lengths and apertures. Consider the benefits of a 250mm f4.0 and 400mm f5.0. Compact size and different than any other M43 lens.
    They could also make a general use 2x teleconverter and sell boatloads. Imagine a 60 f2.8 macro that is now a 120 f5.6 that focusses to 2x life size, or a 75 f1.8 that's now a 150 f3.6, or the 40-150 Pro (or the rumored 150 f2.8) that's a 300 f5.6 at the long end. The 150 f2.8 should have close focussing capability to at least 1/3 life size.
    There's a huge market if they think smart/different.