Good news for smart-phone proponents?

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Is this real life? A photography forum where mobile photography is mentioned without a slew of "It'S nOt ReAl PhOtOgRaPhY!!11!!" posts?

Interesting article, thanks for sharing :)
This is not DPReview. ...

It's around the corner, through the woods, and then right at the cemetery - third row of graves on the northern boundary :rofl: .

Oh, I forgot. It's then actually under under the sewer manhole cover, near the bridge where the trolls live underneath ...

My smartphone is already my favorite camera as evidenced by how often I take it with me.

And the images I get form it aren't too bad either...

1618578866524.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Interesting article. Cellphone photos have definitely come a long way and are as good, or better, than my first digital camera. It makes them very handy for those times when an unexpected photo opportunity shows up and I don't have a camera with me. For those occasions where I expect to take multiple photos (vacation, family parties, day trips, etc.) I still prefer the versatility of an ILC. It's good to have options.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Mobile phone photos are fine if you are viewing them only on a phone. Anything else and they are pretty worthless. I have tried to embrace them as my landscape camera when out photographing wildlife but once home always disappointed with the images. So I’m back to packing a wide angle lens with me.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Mobile phone photos are fine if you are viewing them only on a phone. Anything else and they are pretty worthless. I have tried to embrace them as my landscape camera when out photographing wildlife but once home always disappointed with the images. So I’m back to packing a wide angle lens with me.
I saw a phone photo over 5 years ago that was perfectly acceptable printed to A4 & they've improved considerably since then.
However good they are I don't think they'll ever suit me, I like tinkering with my hardware. It's the user interface that puts me off camera phones not the image quality.
Being an anti-social git I'm more likely to be carrying a proper camera than a phone (especially one that's turned on) but it would be nice if my camera bag only weighed as much as a large tablet.

This is a 64MP image from my phone today.
1618694904414.png

That is a poster child for why people need a calibrated, color managed work flow. The colors are way off, the contrast is so low that it's lifeless. 64MP doesn't necessarily make for a good picture.
Each to their own. I like it that way, and I do use a calibrated color managed work flow in Darktable. I purposely de-saturated the colors and reduced contrast. This is another version from the phone.
I don't like the saturation. But maybe this is more to your tastes.
1618842790602.png

Last edited:
Yeah, they are smudgy, especially at long distances. Here's another one from that day that is a bit better. Of course, they get further compressed posted here on this forum...

1618855882360.png

But... I wish I had taken my EM1.2 and 12-40 with me, and will have to go back next week and try again.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, they are smudgy, especially at long distances. Here's another one from that day that is a bit better. Of course, they get further compressed posted here on this forum...

View attachment 884060

But... I wish I had taken my EM1.2 and 12-40 with me, and will have to go back next week and try again.
Compression should have no effect on saturation, but does on details/sharpness. The reduction in saturation and contrast just makes for an eviscerated, lifeless image that probably doesn't accurately represent what the scene looked like in person.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom