Good flash for the OM-D

Photodan1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
metz 58
oly fl50R
Metz 50

get the canon phottix trigger use your 580 on manual mode for off camera :) is a option also that opens up some creativity
they run $100 for both transmitter and receiver pack

get a Metz 50 or 58 depending on what you want to spend and get another $50 phottix receiver and you can do some nice 2 light setups (manual mode)

lots of options :)
I have the Metz 50 and after the last firmware update, it will operate in RC mode. It's a little on the large side but has plenty of power. I also use it as a backlight when I set up my studio and it works great for that (manual of course).

Photodan1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
I'm planning to buy some flash to go with my EM5, but I just don't know what to buy. It would be nice if it got TTL also. And all these opinions have it:
- Cullmann D 4500
- Vivitar DF 383
- Olympus FL-36R

And they are all about same priced. Aprx. 150€ or bit less.

- Metz 50 AF-1 is aprx. bit over 200€.

And the expencier ones are:
- Olympus FL-600R
- Olympus FL-50R

FL-600 is aprx. 340€ and I could get in local shop that FL-50R for 350€ and that sounds "cheap" giving it price for new. (500-600€) But I just don't know will i need flash that costly.
I have not looked about their sizes yet. Witch is bigger and what is smaller than other.

And also I will need some fill light also. Would FL-300R be ok for fill? It would be nice to be ok using olympus RC on both flashes. But manual Yongnuos (560) are cheap on eBay.

Eny thoughs?
I would avoid the Vivitar's - they are not the same company that made the very rugged flashes 15-20 years ago. The FL-300 and even the small flash that came with the OMD will work pretty well for fill flash. Those demands are not real high.

I have a Metz 50 and it is a powerful flash for the money, although a little large on an OMD, but it is usable.

Photodan1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
Just a small hijack... Is there any way that I can use my 430II along with my FL600. I'm very new to off camera flash.

If I remember correctly from my Canon days, the 430 II could be used with another system off camera, but not TTL. In other words, you could get it to fire using the slave mode but would have to set manual power settings.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Just a small hijack... Is there any way that I can use my 430II along with my FL600. I'm very new to off camera flash.

If I remember correctly from my Canon days, the 430 II could be used with another system off camera, but not TTL. In other words, you could get it to fire using the slave mode but would have to set manual power settings.
Thx!

That would be fine, I'll just have to learn more about it.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Thx!

That would be fine, I'll just have to learn more about it.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
Get some Cactus V5 triggers (you will need three - one for the camera and one for each flash (they are transceivers). I suggest there ones because they keep the sync speed at 1/250 which can be useful for outside work in manual flash.

This will get both flashes off the camera but you will need to use manual flash. If working in a studio type situation you will find this easy to get the hang of. Just visit the strobist site on flickr and do the 101 lighting course and your set.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
The FL-50 and FL-50R are the equals of a SB-800 and 580EX for power, the FL-600R is one stop less light.

The FL-600R dos not function in Olympus RC mode commander mode on a 4/3 camera body, such a shame, but will function as a remote.

The one benefit I'm really liking about the FL-600R is its flash compensation runs from +5 to -5, on both 4/3 and m4/3s, something I wished the FL-50R had. I've also used the Olympus RC mode in full sun light at can control remotes at more than 35 feet.

Can't say I'm fond of the little wheel and selector switch, but I'm getting use to it, nor the flashing white light when in RC mode.

LRM

New to Mu-43
Whoa, the size difference between FL-50R and FL-36R is huge and 600R is about same size as FL-36R.
Left to right: FL-50R, Metz 48, FL-36R
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Actually I found one more used one FL-50R for 250€ and it's being 90€ cheapper than FL-600R for new is..Tempting me. But it's huge. And I also need some fill flash so the set up might be FL-50R + FL-36R or FL-600R + FL-36R. The set up with FL-50R would be that 90 euros cheapper so would it be a good option?

And how's the OL radio control works? Does it work if I use flash with Umbrella or Beauty dish? Or does it need to have clear way to flash without eny barriers on the way?

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Whoa, the size difference between FL-50R and FL-36R is huge and 600R is about same size as FL-36R.
Left to right: FL-50R, Metz 48, FL-36R

Actually I found one more used one FL-50R for 250€ and it's being 90€ cheapper than FL-600R for new is..Tempting me. But it's huge. And I also need some fill flash so the set up might be FL-50R + FL-36R or FL-600R + FL-36R. The set up with FL-50R would be that 90 euros cheapper so would it be a good option?

And how's the OL radio control works? Does it work if I use flash with Umbrella or Beauty dish? Or does it need to have clear way to flash without eny barriers on the way?
Use the fl50r off camera and you won't have a problem with size. RC the fl600r from on top of the camera as this gives you a 1/200 sync whereas the little flash that came with the camera will only sync at 1/160 but worse, there is a pause between being able to shoot as the little flash recharges which doesn't occur when using the fl600r.

Shooting in RC works pretty well. It is line of sight but if working in a small studio it seems to see the master fine. Just a little twist of the body might be necessary to turn the receiver area to see the light just a little more. I doubt it would work if you have one of those softboxes where the flash is contained inside the box.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Here is a flash comparison - might prove helpful
But do remember that when using m43 you gain more DOF when shooting so what you might have shot at say f8 on FF you may now be shooting at f4 on m43 therefore your flash is now also stronger

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LRM

New to Mu-43
Thanks all!

I ended up buying Panasonic DMC-360LE(same as Oly FL-600R) and Oly FL-50R

LRM

New to Mu-43
Just got the Panasonic flash and it works great with the OM-D, no problems with that combination. Wireless works also and it works quite nicely - better than I though. Frame is bit unbalance with it, but I think that I can live with that and ofcourse grip would help with that.

Flash is nice and small. Great buy.

left:out

New to Mu-43
I like the 600R, I just wished i could turn off that extremely bright blinking led when in remote mode.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom