Good flash for the OM-D

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Alright Ned,
You've convinced me - I stand corrected - I obviously don't know Olympus/MFT production history as well as you do. But then again, I'm a convert so I plead innocence here. :smile: :redface:

No need to curse in your diaglogue though :smile:

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Addendum:
For another specific-system designed small flash, there's the SBN7 for the Nikon 1 system that is not only small & compact, but also bounces & swivels for portraits.
And unlike Micro Four-Thirds, the Nikon 1 system doesn't even use a regular SLR hotshoe. Totally different concept than m4/3.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Alright Ned,
You've convinced me - I stand corrected - I obviously don't know Olympus/MFT production history as well as you do. But then again, I'm a convert so I plead innocence here. :smile: :redface:

No need to curse in your diaglogue though :smile:
I didn't curse, did I? :confused: Sorry if I was harsh though, lol. That wasn't the intention. :cool:

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
Lemme just get this word in before I get overrun again...

The FL600R is fantastic. It's of the same class as the SB700, yet it costs less, its considerably smaller, it has the video light, it does 180 degrees both ways, and it also has an auto-thryster mode (find that in a $300 Nikon or Canon) that still follows the camera's ISO and zoom settings (i.e., you don't have to manually input them). In other words, no pre flash...

Jay86

Mu-43 Veteran
The FL-600R is a great flash for several reasons that I won't go into here, but please allow me to make some points on this question...
Wondering your particular opinion Bravin... How do you figure a flash like the FL-600R fares against a flash like the Canon 580EX II? Im trying to get a baseline comparison to what I have obviously used to determine what I might be interested in. For me personally with "fast glass" I found the 580EX II was overkill in terms of power 99% of the time for an on-board flash being used a bounce flash but the the nice thing about the extra power was that I had the flash dialled down so far it eat way less battery then a smaller powered flash which would be dialled up in comparison so that was nice. I eventually figured the Canon 430EX was as much of a on-board TTL flash I ever needed (power wise) after time (off camera is another story though although). I do like that part about the FL-600R having a video light in your last post... very handy feature to have I should think.

Aside from "power" differences in the two flashes what differs between the FL-600R and FL-50R ? Weather sealing, recycle times, etc? I assume both can act as commanders and slaves?

Sorry for the newbie questions but transitioning into a whole new "system" just takes a lot more time and educating myself over again then I thought it would. Shows you how "familiar" you can become with a system that you never need to ask these questions after a while. Shot with a Canon system for so long it just became second nature to know everything in the line-up, well just about anyways. Trying to educate myself with Olympus flashes and off brand compatible flashes as the fastest glass in the world sometimes just isn't enough (as you might be able to tell I try to use on-board flash as less as possible always).

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
not bravin but I have 580s I use and have the fl600
ditto his thoughts above

in my house I have no problem bouncing the flash even with the point back and up kinda bounce
and I have pretty decent tall ceilings in the main living room at just over 20 feet tall

inside a large locker room at a wedding I was using it no problem low ceiling but big room so the wall bounce was a good ways away and it kept up

using a straight up and bounce card it did well but the card is a bit small so the spot is a bit small feeling on it the ceiling where I was doing this was way up their 30 feet maybe ? and was dark dark brown so almost no light bounced down where my 580 could bounce that high and get back down to wash the rest and made a touch more illuminated scene and I could outrun the flash meaning it could not recycle enough ! but man I was impressed it could even do as good as it did !

with the subject about 20 feet away with the card up the FL600 could barely kick in enough power quite dark 25 panny lens on my OMD about 4000 iso wide open lens and I needed about 2-3 stops more light the flash gave me about 2 stops so the pic was OK but a touch dark

around the house and in smaller rooms again dont expect it to work in say a small church and be bouncing off the walls or ceiling and be firing off say 5 shots every ten seconds it wont keep up but one and wait and two and wait for recycle it might be OK if you shoot close to ambient :)
but you can use the bounce card and might get some ceiling bounce back down depending on height of ceiling and color of ceiling and get shots with it that way :) so its still a great all around flash

if outside and you need to do the straight on stuff its pretty good ? not sure the distance as I never thought much about it

I did fry my FL600 though :) so have to get it fixed not sure what happened to it ?
had it on my phottix which was on my OMD so might have given a voltage spike or something ? but I use my metz 50 on it all the time and no issues
when I get it fixed no more testing but it is/was my go to flash for family stuff

what I love teh FL600 can rotate 180 both ways the click stops are enough it does not move and the menu is very easy I prefer it to the canons actually !
with my little flash to use the commander mode I have no issues using it off camera in my home and I love that ability !!!!

only thing I might say is the bounce card is a touch small ? but a piece of white foam from a craft store cut down and a hair band will fix that and be even better :)

as the video light goes I love the thing very cool feature handy when doing some close up stuff or just wanting to put a touch of light on subject
like kids around the Xmas tree just point it figure close to ambient will make the kids a bit brighter but not blow out everything around it
spotlighting something like a cake as I used it or for ring shots ? so around home bday parties hand hold in left hand point it at the kids face and the candles should stand out well etc..

I used to use a sony video light like that and now have the FL600 :)

really bummed I fried the thing cant wait to get it fixed :)

I love the Fl600 so much plan to buy a couple more and kick myself for not getting when they had that one day price screw up :) hahahahha
my reasons are when I go camping or aorund the home would love to set a few up for some nice lighting for the kids etc..

weddings and such I use 580s on phottix triggers either in small soft boxes or umbrellas or just raw
and metz 50 for my OMD on camera

I dont have a FL50R so cant say anything about that :)

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
I'm not Bravin either. :)

I've killed more 580II's than I want to admit over the years as well as 580's, 550s, 430II's and 430's. The FL600R's nearest equivalent in Canon is the 430exII. In fact it very close indeed. It has the same power as the 430II (except for the shorter zoom which gives more power at the tele end). The 430exII feel a bit better built but the FL600R has more features ( a proper auto/thyrister mode for starters) and a better interface.

If you were happy with the 430ex then you'll be happy with the 600R. If you need a 580ex equivalent then get either a FL50R or a Metz 58AF2.

Gordon

Jay86

Mu-43 Veteran
^^^ Wow, thanks for the great posts Gordon & HappyFish. I think the FL50R or Metz 58AF2 might be the way to go then by the sounds of it. I would rather over-do it for the one flash that I will use on the camera then under do it. I was happy with the Canon 430 most of the time but boy it was nice having that extra power from the 580 the few times I did need it (and again I loved that the battery went on for ever compared to the 430 because the power was always dialled down on the 580).

Basically what I have always done is invested the money for one good on-board flash and then got cheapo flashes with triggers to use off camera. My previous setup was a 580EX II on-board and three Yongnuo 560 II's for off camera work. I always shoot manual with flashes for off camera so TTL was never a concern except for the one on-board flash and the cheapo flashes did the job and had plenty of power.

Im thinking the FL-600R while a capable flash might fall short here and there.

Thanks for the input peeps. Im actually quite ahead of myself here as I have yet to even get the camera yet (getting it soon tho), lol, but I figured I would learn as much as possible about the "Olympus system" as possible as its new to me.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
if you still have the yongnuo 560 check out the phottix II for canon they are working flawless on my OMD and reasonable cost :)

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
I can't stress how much I like having an auto-thryster mode in the FL600R. With Canon and Nikon you need to go to the big guns to get that. The big advantage is that it behaves like a manual flash (or film TTL flash) – there is no pre flash and hence no pre delay. This is a big deal to me, because when you are “at one” with the camera, small delays add up and start distracting you and making you feel like your equipment is some foreign object instead of an extension of your brain. And pre flash adds enough delay that you get way more blinked eyes than you ever did on film. Nothing like chimping and then asking everyone to do over.

The video light, under normal indoor type scenarios – think of using the 17mm lens at distances, say, about 3 feet from the subject – adds about 1 stop worth of ISO. So in dark indoors (and no sunlight coming in) a typical video exposure is ISO3200 1/60 and f2.5 on the EM5. The FL600R lets you back down to ISO1600, which is a welcome decrease in noise. Of course your ambient will go down, but then this is what the news video looks like so it has a “natural” (or at least accepted) look to it. I don’t use it much, but I’m glad its there.

Having the swivel go 180 degrees both ways is a must these days, I feel. I guess I’m one of those guys that goes to vertical orientation either way and doesn’t care (hand over or hand under), so having the head swivel with equal flexibility both ways is a big deal to me.

I agree the bounce card is too small. But I’m going to bring a fix to that, plus add bounce to both sides.

I like the menu, very simple.

I dislike how small the dial wheel is. I’m always over/under shooting the settings because of its tiny size.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
Dang, I need to see your house. What is it, the White House?
hahahah no just a normal 2 story house that has 10 foot walls and has this thingy that sticks up :) where the stairs go up that is taller in the main living room :)

unless its just under 20 and I remember it wrong ? but still a tall living room :)

I did some shooting for a guy that is building a big house though at just over 110,000 sqft :) which is way to big IMHO :)

Jay86

Mu-43 Veteran
if you still have the yongnuo 560 check out the phottix II for canon they are working flawless on my OMD and reasonable cost :)

I actually sold everything in my kit about a year back but Ill be getting those Yongnuo 560's again for off camera flash work. There cheap, light weight, powerful and easy to use on the go.

Are the phottix triggers the most popular triggers for the E-M5? I used to have cheapy Yongnuo triggers before actually and they worked well. I initially bought them to tide me over until I could afford pocket wizards but they worked so well I never ended up replacing them!

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
I think the phottix are popular with the DWF folks at least and it seems some others ? both nikon and canon that dont like the on shoe models of the pocket wizards (forgot the model names of those)

so not sure about EM5 ? not sure how many others are using them on the OMD ?

pretty good build reliable and uses AAA hot shoe pass through for the transmitter and when mounted with a 580 strong enough no wobble :)
easy to turn on and off the channels I want from the transmitter so easy to control

I have canons (am switching to nikon) and understand I can use a nikon transmitter and all receivers (canon nikon etc..) will work so I can use the canon receivers on my old canon flashes and fire them with a nikon transmitter
will be finding out about this nikon thing this week when my new ones come in

also they make a TTL transmitter model but does not have a hot shoe pass through which I want

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Yes, all 4/3 flash work with full TTL in the hotshoe of any 4/3 or m4/3 cameras except the E-1 from 2003, and the ones with wireless TTL capabilities work with the Olympus RC mode which is present in most of their bodies since the end of 2007. All Olympus R-series flash are RC compatible, and can also be fired as a dumb slave off any flash system.

Olympus FL-50, Metz 50, etc. are the equivalent in size, power, and overall performance of the Canon 580EXII. Olympus FL-36R, FL-600R, etc. are the equivalent of the Canon 430EXII in the same ways... which is about half the power of the first set listed.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Okay, I've seen the Metz and the Nissin....do these work with the ttl of the camera? I'm guessing yes.
I have the Nissin Di466 Four Thirds - yes and I would expect that pretty much every flash made for Four Thirds would. The only ones that won't will be some of the cheap eBay (etc) sourced flash units that don't have the secondary contacts on the foot of the flash.

LRM

New to Mu-43
I'm planning to buy some flash to go with my EM5, but I just don't know what to buy. It would be nice if it got TTL also. And all these opinions have it:
- Cullmann D 4500
- Vivitar DF 383
- Olympus FL-36R

And they are all about same priced. Aprx. 150€ or bit less.

- Metz 50 AF-1 is aprx. bit over 200€.

And the expencier ones are:
- Olympus FL-600R
- Olympus FL-50R

FL-600 is aprx. 340€ and I could get in local shop that FL-50R for 350€ and that sounds "cheap" giving it price for new. (500-600€) But I just don't know will i need flash that costly.
I have not looked about their sizes yet. Witch is bigger and what is smaller than other.

And also I will need some fill light also. Would FL-300R be ok for fill? It would be nice to be ok using olympus RC on both flashes. But manual Yongnuos (560) are cheap on eBay.

Eny thoughs?

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Just a small hijack... Is there any way that I can use my 430II along with my FL600. I'm very new to off camera flash.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom