1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good flash for the OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gary Ramey, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I saw a video that said the 600R has a guide number of 15....that is pretty pathetic. I'm hoping that was a typo. I currently have the FL50. It works but it is a bit bulky and isn't wireless. So I'm looking for both Olympus and after market suggestions. I do like having the power when I need it....:thumbup:

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    That a typo from B&H " 50' (15.24 m) ISO200 at 8.0 mm position"

Olympus FL-600R Wireless Electronic Flash V3261300U000 B&H Photo

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    It's a typo

Manual states GN50 (m) @ 42mm (full zoom) which is 160(ft) - interestingly it does not give the ISO rating for this. If it is at ISO 200 then it makes my Nissin Di466 look even better value than I thought as it is GN33 at ISO100 (or 66 @. 200!!!) for less than the FL36R.

4. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    I have the Nissin Di466. For the price it's a great flash, simple to use and good quality. I like the quick easy battery replacement with the removable battery holder, just take the holder out and replace with loaded spare holder. Only negative for some potential buyers, it doesn't swivel.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    FL600 is a great around the house kinda flash has enough power to bounce of back walls in most homes and large rooms but not like restaurant size rooms and keep up

I use a Metz 50 for work stuff on the OMD so far has been working nicely

have not used it other than playing a bit for off camera ? for that I use manual speedlights with phottix strobes

6. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im also wondering the same thing... coming from a Canon setup with a 580EX II what will be similar in terms of power and use on the OM-D? Sorry OP to hijack along.... if its a problem let me know.

7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    metz 58
    oly fl50R
    Metz 50

get the canon phottix trigger use your 580 on manual mode for off camera :) is a option also that opens up some creativity
    they run $100 for both transmitter and receiver pack

get a Metz 50 or 58 depending on what you want to spend and get another $50 phottix receiver and you can do some nice 2 light setups (manual mode)

lots of options :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks! Will look into these :)

9. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    The FL-600R is a great flash for several reasons that I won't go into here, but please allow me to make some points on this question.

Its output power is on par with a Nikon SB600/SB700 type of flash. However, it will actually feel more powerful because of the DOF advantage of the m43 camera. The typical indoor-bounce-off-ceiling scenario with a Nikon will be roughly at ISO400 and f5.6, and this forces the SB600/SB700 to fire somewhere between 1/4 to 1 full power, depending on absorption of ceiling, distance to subject and so on. But for the same shot, the m43 camera will be at roughly f2.8 -- this gives the equivalent DOF for the smaller format. If you knew nothing else, you would immediately see the SB600/SB700 at that exposure setting would suddenly feel stronger and recycle quicker than with the lens at f5.6. Therefore, if the FL-600R has roughly the same output as those flashes, which I say it does, then this tells you something about how powerful it will feel and how fast it will recycle.

• Like Like x 1
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I kind of agree with Bravin. Except that sometimes you shoot wide open for exposures sake not DOF.

I like the FL600R. It's a good stop less powered than the FL50R but in a lot of places that's not important. Recycle times are good. It's very compact and it makes a truely excelleny commander for FL50R's off camera.

The real shortcoming of the FL600R, as it is with all Olympus made flashes, is that its zoom is limited to 42mm (84mm equivalent). That definitely limits its power when using longer lenses (like the 35-100). Almost all the Canon/Nikon flashes go longer than this with the 600ex and SB900 going to an incredibly useful 200mm.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't think it's possible to have DSLR size flash power in a MFT sized flash.

12. Bravin Neff

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Don't go by the physical size, just compare them in person. Then corroborate your findings with the specs -- and corroborate they do. The SB700 and FL600R are almost identical in output power. The same can be said of the SB600.

As it turns out, almost every camera vendor's flashes are roughly identical in output power across product classes. This is easy to explain: they all use the same vendor's flash tubes. They all have access to basically the same electronics. They all use (4) AA batteries. Nobody has a technological breakthrough unavailable to the others. And so on.

13. Bravin Neff

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    That's a very good point, but I would add that the 200mm ability is very new, only being added within the last 1 to 2 years. And the cheaper flashes -- the ones like the SB700 that are in comparable classes with the FL600R (while being a full US $100 more than it) -- only go up to 120mm equivalent. And that is also a very new feature (the SB600 "only" went to 85mm). I think the longer focal length flash coverage is an important advancement, but speaking strictly for me, it is a marginal one in the grand scheme of things.

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's not that new. The Canon 550ex went to 105mm and that's 6-8 years old. 200mm is certainly new but 85mm is old, old technology and the FL600R should do better than 84mm. The Canon 430exII goes to over 100mm. As do flashes from third party vendors such as Metz.

It's done for only two reasons. To keep the head shorter so they can make claims on size and cost.

Gordon

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And the FL600R is not a Micro Four Thirds specific flash - It's a dual-use Four Thirds DSLR flash :smile:
    What's the size difference between the SB700 and FL600R in comparison to the FL300R?

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What the hell is an MFT-sized flash? The FL-600R has the same flash power and size as the FL-36R... which is a DSLR flash. Canon also makes one the same size and power for their DSLRs, as does Nikon and many others. There is no difference between an "MFT-sized flash" and a "DSLR-sized flash". They are the same, they are interchangeable, and they are made for the same purpose (and are thus MEANT to be the same).

To the OP: Guide Numbers can be confusing. The FL-50R has the same GN as the FL-600R, but actually has twice the power. This is because the Guide Number of the FL-50R is measured for ISO100 (the default ISO of Olympus cameras at the time of the FL-50R) while the FL-600R is measured for ISO200 (the new base ISO of Olympus cameras at the time of the FL-600R's release).

However, being an FL-50R owner it is very easy to describe the real power of the FL-600R to you... it is half that of the FL-50R. Run your FL-50R at 1/2 power, and you'll get the same output as running your FL-600R at 1/1 power.

Another confusing part is the recycle times they list. They say the FL-600R recycles twice as fast as the FL-50R, but if you're using it at the same power (ie, the FL-50R at 1/2 the power of the FL-600R) then the recycle time is the same.

So in essence, the FL-600R performs just like the FL-50R at half power (and in the same compact size as the FL-36R). That's easy to figure out now, right?

• Like Like x 1
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    FL300R :smile:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Addendum:
    For another specific-system designed small flash, there's the SBN7 for the Nikon 1 system that is not only small & compact, but also bounces & swivels for portraits.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Um... then the only "Micro Four-Thirds specific flash" are the two clip-on, flip-up flash units (first one non-sealed, second one weather sealed) that come included with all Pen and OM-D cameras which do not have a built-in pop-up flash. Sorry I forget the model numbers on them. These flash units have no hotshoe contact but rather receive all information from the AP-2 accessory port, and operate as a wireless Remote Commander the way the built-in pop-ups do on other Olympus cameras. They are replacements for the pop-up, and only work on cameras equipped with the AP-2 accessory port found on Olympus m4/3 bodies.

Every other m4/3 compatible flash is "dual-use Four-Thirds DSLR flash" as you describe it.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The FL-300R was out with Four-Thirds too. The FL-600R on the other hand, was released alongside the m4/3 line (along with the new OM-D line, more precisely) after 4/3 products had been on hiatus with a big lull. If you were to call either of those units "made for m4/3", it would be the FL-600R... though I don't personally see either flash as being specific to either line, and the FL-600R is obviously the "newer, upgraded model" to the FL-36R. m4/3 uses the same flash system as 4/3. Same hotshoe, same contacts, same Remote Commander, same TTL control, same everything. It's the same flash system through and through.

That's why m4/3 is marketed as DSLR quality in a compact size. That wouldn't be true if it had limited lighting capabilities, which it doesn't.