Good experience with a problem camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LDraper, Aug 28, 2012.

1. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    (I didn't know where to post this, so I put it here since its of general interest)

I want to report here a difficult circumstance that resulted in a positive experience in the Buy & Sell forum.

Over a month ago I purchased a used EP3 from SHREdD, a longtime member of the forum. The deal went smoothly and the camera arrived promptly and physically as described. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that the camera wasn't exposing evenly across the frame. I posted a few of the bad images to the forum and it was suggested (accurately I now think) that it was a shutter problem. I was pretty nervous, because I didn't have any warranty on he camera, and if I had to pay for the repair my savings on the used camera would be blown.

I e-mailed SHREdD and he told me that the camera was still under warranty, so we agreed that I should send it to Olympus for repair. This was a relief, but I was put in the position of trusting someone whom I'd never met and only knew through a screen name! From his profile on the forum and from my dealings with him during the sale I wasn't too concerned, so I chose to go ahead (what choice did I really have!) and to trust that by and large the members of the forum are honorable and not out to take advantage of each other.

The story has a happy ending. Olympus fixed the camera under warranty, sent it back to SHREdD and he sent it (very quickly) back to me. I'm now getting re-acquainted with the camera. The moral of the story is, that with certain reasonable precautions the people on this forum can be trusted to act with integrity and honesty. I want to thank everyone who has worked to make that the case. I think it's pretty cool that even though few members have ever met face to face, there are a lot of clear personalities and a sense of comraderie that gives this forum a sense of community. I think the for sale forum is an important resource, and I have so far only had positive experiences from it!
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    And this is why your better off to deal with someone who has a healthy post count, and multiple positive feedback. The long time members are not going to risk their rep and/or membership within the community. Also,normally their pricing is reasonable. Glad you dealt with one of the stand up members. Tip of the hat to SHREdD.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - There are bargains to be had here but it pays to use common sense when making an expensive purchase. I've purchased a number of items here and each experience has been very positive.
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    BTW, it is the first issue I've ever had with a refurb (this time from Cameta). Oly handled it great. I'll still look for refurbs first on most anything.
  5. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I'll second that. This is the friendliest and most helpful forum I've found, and each purchase was smooth and trouble-free.
  6. msk

msk Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mike Kehle
    I have found that selling Camera gear is best on cam forums. I have bought, sold, and traded many items on POTN and have had great experiences. I look forward to many more here on mu-43 as I build up my collection!