Good enough? Yep!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dalton, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I started my photographic journey in the film era using a wide variety of cameras all the way from a black and white Polaroid Swinger and on through Canon, Pentax, and Nikon 35mm on to Hasselblad and Linhof Technica 4x5.

I re-entered the photographic world after a hiatus of several years with a Minolta 4mp point and shoot. I have since owned mostly Olympus 43rds and Micro Four Thirds cameras and accessories.

I have read with interest over the years in many forums across the 'net about evolving camera systems and technologies. I have hemmed and hawed about ISO noise levels, limited dynamic range, color accuracy, and many other areas which affect the relative quality of what any given camera can produce. I have waited for a camera format that is convenient for me to carry and not be burdened by too much weight and bulk. I have lamented especially over the DR and noise levels with cameras I have used.

I have now owned an Olympus E-P5 for several months and I am finally able to use my camera in a wide range of settings without reservation. The DR and noise levels are amazing. The out of camera jpegs are fabulous when I use a one touch white balance custom setting in differing lighting conditions. The camera allows for a wide range of customization and I have many presets and buttons assigned that allow me to use the camera fluidly in the field as an extension of my photographic personality and style.

I am visiting forums online a lot less frequently because I am taking more pictures and not interested in bantering ad infinitum about how good or bad a particular new camera is.

My sense is that Panasonic and Olympus have truly "arrived" with the sensor and feature sets we have available today. I won't be wanting another camera body until my E-P5 simply wears out and my backup E-PL5 needs a new replacement.

My GAS is gone. And now...time to go out and invest my time in the photographic craft.

Dan

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.