Good Deal on a Day Bag- LowePro Passport Sling for ~$25 shipped

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by madmaxmedia, Apr 10, 2014.

1. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Hey all,

I was looking for more of a day bag that also had a good padded compartment for a small M43 kit. Something sorta like this-

I found that many EBay international sellers are selling the LowePro Passport Sling for around $25 shipped.

It kinda-sorta looks like a big purse, but otherwise seemed to fit the bill perfectly and was too cheap to pass up. The sides are relatively soft, meaning that it will conform to your body when you are carrying it. I bought the gray/'Mica' color, in person it's more of an olive which is actually what I wanted. For around $25 you can't really go wrong here.

It has a removable padded compartment that is more ideal for a DSLR plus an extra lens, but I have some extra padded inserts and it works fine for smaller cameras. Along with room for the padded compartment, there's also some room for other personal stuff, and since your camera will be somewhat separated I would feel comfortable putting in a bag of chips, unopened drink, etc. There's a zipper along the side of the bag, when you unzip it the non-camera space expands so you can hold more stuff. There are also a few pockets inside and out (I wish the outer pockets had zippers), and a larger outside pocket that can hold a water bottle.

For strictly camera stuff, I'd probably go with a Think Tank MM20 or the Tamrac Aria 6 Amin reviewed, but for hiking or day trip this is a nice all-in-one. I don't want to carry a camera bag AND another bag for other stuff.

I bought item 181349919924 (price on that auction has gone up a bit since I bought it), but if you search around there are many sellers with the same item. I'm pretty certain it's authentic, it has LowePro tags and the bag is well made.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012

YES on so many levels.
    I had that bag for quite a few vacations and I can't say but amazing things about it.
    Review coming soon, actually.
  3. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    I notice many of these bags on ebay too.

I've seen the real thing in the shops and the material is great - it's tough enough but lightweight at the same time. Assuming the ones on ebay are the real thing, the price is certainly very attractive, almost enough to make me get over the bag's weird shape.

Is the one you have the 2014 version? What's the difference between the older and newer versions?
  4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    There are 3 versions, I have the first. The first and second have slight cosmetic difference (the 2nd has decorative piping which id rather not have), the 2nd is said to have a more adjustable compartment for smaller mirrorless cameras). My guess is that there is more Velcro on the walls so the inserts are more adjustable.

I didn't get a chance to try them in person first, so just bought the 1st version because it was cheapest. But I'm totally satisfied with this bag regardless.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Got a black one for 21.98

Shipped from Hong Kong. Hope it's genuine. Should be here in about 10 days.

Thanks for the head up OP.
  6. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    I looked at the V2 in the store.
    The concept of this camera bag is to be packed within your "main" luggage and be deployed on arrival as a grab & go bag for strolls through the city or around the Pyramids. At the same time, not to look as a camera bag.

With this in mind, the V2's ICU is more foldable, being made with a removable bottom thus allowing the walls to be packed flat. (The V1 ICU can't be folded properly for storage - you can't fold a box without breaking its bottom -, that was a big design flaw.)

The V3 has a tablet compartment, and I haven't got a chance to look at it in the wild yet.

I replaced the ICU on my V1 with a Crumpler Haven M and I think it's the best mod one could ever do to this bag. While it's not held in place anymore by the built-in velcro, it's so much more flexible on so many levels.

As I said - review coming soon, probably next week.
    • Like Like x 1