1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good day with the EM-5. Finally.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ever have "one of those weeks" in photography? Where nothing in the cabinet pleases one, one cannot spend another another hour on the computer working with photographs, and even browsing through photography books seems not worth the effort?

It's been a week of GAS and photography angst, with a totally unreasonable, absolutely illogical, dissatisfaction with everything in the kit and a nearly overwhelming urge to order a Fuji X100 for no good reason. Only the lamentable state of the checkbook prevented me "adding to cart" :eek:.

For various and sundry reasons it has not been a terrific summer (photography wise) for me. Normally I shoot a lot in warm weather and not at all in winter. This has not been the case this summer and the subjects and venues I had pre-programmed to be photographed this summer nearly all fell by the wayside :frown:.

Yesterday Mike Johnston over at TheOnlinePhotographer ran an article about "The Super-Traditional Lens Set" (http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...r/2013/10/the-super-traditional-lens-set.html).

Ctein (who is a better physicist than I*, a better printer than I and (almost certainly) a better photographer than I) chimed in with his chosen super-traditional set for Micro 4/3: The Panasonic 20mm ƒ/1.7, the Olympus 45mm ƒ/1.8, and the Panasonic 14mm ƒ/2.5. A couple of other :43: shooters also listed those as their kit of choice.

Oddly enough I have all three of those lenses and also an OM-D E-M5 upon which they fit, just like Ctein. (That is, Ctein also uses an E-M5, not that the lenses fit on Ctein).

Which started me thinking (again) about the X100 - would it improve my photography, or am I just longing for a rangefinder with the aperture controls on the lens in an attempt to prove Thomas Wolfe wrong?

So today when we schlepped out to the nursing home to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday I left all of my gear at home except for the E-M5 and two lenses, the 20mm and 14mm. (The 14mm was a hedge - the rooms tend to be small in nursing homes and I wasn't sure the 20mm could fit everything into the frame). As it turned out the 14mm was superfluous; the 20mm was perfect.

I made 24 shots in 2 hours (which is a lot for me these days) one of which, I think, will be worth printing :thumbup:.

Sometimes I wander from the path of wisdom and Mike's column came at an opportune time for me. Other than photographing animals at the local zoo (which requires something in the 300-400 (equivalent) range) I really only need the three primes Ctein referenced.

Today was a good day - I had the right camera and the right lens for the subject(s) and I hung the little Olympus flip hot shoe flash on the E-M5 to experiment with. (The flash experiment was inconclusive, as it turned out that I didn't really need the fill flash for the shots I made.)

The X100 is still under consideration - but it was a good day with the E-M5, and I suspect that my 'wish list' for the Sigma 60 and the Olympus 75mm lenses can be deleted; fine lenses but not needed for my style of photography.

Ever have "one of those weeks" in photography?

Regards,

Jim

*(Actually I'm not any type of physicist, nor do I play one on T.V.)

• Like Like x 4
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    It is starting to look like I will end up with the PL version of this trio:

PL15 1.7
    PL25 1.4
    PL42.5 1.1

Assuming the announced two ship. I really like the rendering on the 25 1.4.

3. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Larry,

Yeow! That'll make a really nice kit! :2thumbs:.

Regards,

Jim

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I managed for 35 years with almost the same set of primes on film i.e. 28, 50 and 90 with just the addition of a 80-210 zoom.

So far I have the 14 and 45 for my EM-5 and saving for the 25 f1.4 rather than the 20. This is taking longer than I had anticipated due to the fact that we now have four m4/3 cameras as my wife and children have moved from up from P&S to m4/3 so had to buy a few zooms first for them. However this does mean that this week we get to test the Oly 40-150 (daughter's) zoom vs the Pana 45-175 (wife's new) zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I hear these discussions about trios of primes, but I couldn't live without a UWA and a long tele is always useful for the occasional sport/wildlife/aircraft/Motorsport event. Then there's the flexibility of a standard zoom for any fast-moving event (parties, weddings etc), or for when it's nice just to carry one lens.

Horses for courses I guess, but for me there's room for more than three primes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Fmrvette, you know, I've been considering the same stuff for the last few days to weeks.
    Ever since I read about that new firmware update for the X100 (and the fact that it can be had used for 500€), I am longing for one. Even though I was granted with A LOT of great pictures this last Summer, Autumn is here at last, and for Central Europe that means one thing: grey skies, diffuse light, no shadows, and no contrast, in short: no light to work with until about February/ March thanks to our low Winter sun around here. Every year this season induces major GAS in me, because, well, as everybody knows, all of a sudden through GAS you are under the impression that different gear would suddenly let you take photographs again. I even dug out an old 5DII that's been collecting dust for over a year (had to buy a new battery because both were deeply discharged). Then I read Mike Johnston's piece, and was reassured that my 2-prime-kit for the E-M5 (O45 and P20), is there for a reason. Although I disagree with Mr. Johnston, and Ctein from time to time, I treasure their experience, and knowledge. Both my primes have served me well, I even shot a recent trip to London solely with the trusted 20, and I can definitely say that both cover my photographic needs (i.e. portraits - contextual, headshots, candid) almost perfectly (the 75's shadow looms menacing over my bank account ;-) ).

That said, a new camera will ignite a motivational spark and drive me outside again. That new-car-smell will wear off eventually though and new gear cannot, however, magically net me more keepers, nor would it be able to change continental climate ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This is what I learned to take pictures and process film with. No light meter either :wink:

I already have the 14mm Panny, and it is a great lens. But it really doesn't render any differently than the 12-60 I have, nor is it any faster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Paul, you're exactly right.

I do have an ultra wide angle and a 45-200 for longer shots, a 1000mm mirror lens, etc. But those lenses are indeed "occasional" lenses - not the bread 'n butter lenses that I "need" to rely on for daily shooting. (I like your use of the word "occasional", which is much better than my too oft used phrase "specialty lenses" :thumbup:).

Sometimes I get wrapped up in all of the bits and pieces of the kit and lose sight of the photography.

The three primes listed (14mm, 20mm, 45mm - I can't afford the 25mm to replace the 20mm) allow (force???) me to think about framing and exposure in a way that my zooms do not. Others mileage may vary, of course.

Lately I've gotten bogged down in the hobby (my horse has strayed from the course) and Mike's article gave me the kick in the pants that I needed to put a prime on the EM-5 and just go shooting :2thumbs:.

Each of us has different needs and desires but for now - (and my own mileage may vary next week or next year) - moving back to a limited number of primes seems to have gotten me out of my summer long photographic doldrums.

Regards,

Jim

9. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Larry!

I've not been able to "bond" with the 12-60mm for some reason. I like it's weatherproofing and recently used it on a rainy day at a vineyard, but I just can't seem to become totally comfortable with it. I had the same issue with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 when I was shooting Nikon. Nice enough lens but it just didn't work for me. I know it's not the lens - it's just me :confused:.

I had a Rollei for a short time (and a Chinese made knock-off called the "Cherry" :smile:) and got a lot of enjoyment out of those. These days, though, I've made my peace with digital and every time I find myself looking at film bodies I go lay down until the feeling passes :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

10. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The 12-60 is a sharp accurate lens.

PA050100.

It does a great job of reproduction.

It does not render photos in any particular way though. The 25 wide open is not that sharp, but the way it renders the image is very pleasing.

For me zooms are tools for taking accurate photos. The primes are more for creating interesting images.

My bread and butter lens is really the 50-200. It is what I shoot the majority of my frames with.

• Like Like x 1