Good Compressed Air Can Alternative

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by retiredfromlife, Jun 3, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Not sure what people use for compressed air when cleaning out your cameras, the below Hurricane air blowers seem very good. I purchased one a few months ago. You can also buy an accessory kit that has a brush etc. These do not blow any moisture like caned air can.
    The below link is for Australia, but I believe you can get them in other countries as well.

O2 Hurricane 320+ Canless Air System [CA202] : PC Case Gear

Regards MarkL
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Rocket blower :thumbup:
  4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Even with my age, arthritis, and neuralgia I have no real difficulty using a good air-bulb blower like the Giottos Rocket blowers or a good ear syringe. I don't see the need for a elaborate device like the one in the OP's post, at least for my needs (cleaning lenses and the occasional film being scanned).

If I worked in a lab 8 hours a day constantly blowing off film being printed or scanned I would want something self powered, though I would more than likely go the compressor and a blower on a hose route like I've done in the past. My last such rig was a tank that I filled using a car tire inflator and then used with my artist airbush as a simple blower (no ink). It worked great and offered great control of the pressure.
  6. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Compressed air isn't bad if you remember to hold the can upright and 'prime' it first to blow any liquid propellant out, which is easier said than done. I generally stick with a rocket bulb blower though for convenience. If the bulb blower can't get it off, then I'll wait until the next wet clean.
  7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I have the rocket blower as well. I mainly purchased the blower for cleaning on PC's etc, but I saw a post on another forum where someone had used canned air and blew liquid into their camera.

I wish I had one of these blowers when I used to use a Nikinos underwater camera. Getting out of the water and trying to blow the water off the change film was a real pain. So if shooting in rainy weather one of these may be good to blow and water off to change lens or battery.

Regards MarkL
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I use compressed air all the time, and the only time I ever had a problem with liquid propellant coming out and hitting the sensor, it was with one of those "mini" cans (NOT recommended) and it had shaken up some in the car, and I precisely missed the recommendation here to prime it and make sure no propellants are coming out before pointing it at the sensor. Every other time has been absolutely no concern when observing those commonsense precautions.

I like the rocket air blower, but stubborn specks can resist the lower power of the hand blowers. So, save compressed air for the stubborn bits and, if necessary, nudge them with a cotton swab, but if you keep things relatively clean a wet cleaning is very seldom necessary.
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya one of the biggest mistakes just about everyone makes with canned air, regardless of what you are using it for, is you are NOT supposed to shake the can before use. So many people pick up the can and the first thing they do is shake it. Why? Stop it!

Besides possibly having liquid propellant come out and hit the sensor, another reason not to use canned air in the "light box" of your camera is that often it can be too strong and can literally damage delicate assemblies such as shutter leafs by knocking them off their mounts or pushing them in a way that jams their otherwise free movement.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yes, I definitely don't place the can outlet too close to the sensor assembly. Test it with your hand and make sure you're only hitting the sensor with a moderate blast of air, a little stronger than a rocket air blower but not right up on the sensor.
  11. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I've been on some dive boats that had air hoses hooked up above the camera table, so you could just grab a hose and dry your camera. Sweet!
  12. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    If you live in a moist or tropical climate, there is a problem with the "rocket" blowers.
    They can accumulate fungus on the rubber.
    Easy enough to wipe off of the outside, but it can grow on the inside also.
    So you are blowing fungus spores into your camera or onto your lens.
    Not good . . .
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That actually happened to mine a few years ago in a not-very-moisture-controlled house up here in the Pacific Northwest. I noticed a funny smell to it and other parts of the house had started developing a mold problem with a similar odor. Thank goodness I don't live there anymore...