Good Cheap Lens for Concerts.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by makatc, Apr 30, 2013.

1. makatc

makatc New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2013
    Im noob and want to know what would be a good alternative for a lens. I need it for concert so need to be small and cheap. When i say concert i mean far and dark venue and its hard to go with a telephoto. So what would be my alternatives? Im thinking on prime lens wnd konica for the price but need help. Thanks

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Depends on how far out you are. I use Minolta 57/1.4 and Canon FD 85mm/1.8. The brighter the better because it's good to stop down a bit to improve sharpness with these lenses.
    For video , you can use the camera teleconversion mode to double the focal length without suffering any quality loss.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you can provide more detail about the setting that would be great. In terms of "far" are you talking about sitting in the back of a jazz club or do you mean from the bleachers at a stadium concert?

Also what type of concert? There's going to be a difference between your needs with a high-energy rock show where there will be lots of movement on stage versus a string quartet, for example.

Beyond price is there a particular reason you lean toward Konica?

The Hexanon 85/1.8 might be a good choice, but it's not necessarily the cheapest fast 85 option. If you need something longer you could look at the Hexanon 135/2.5, but you may find yourself constrained by that tight field of view if you have a limited ability to "zoom with your feet" by moving around the venue.

4. makatc

makatc New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2013
    Concert are rave party. Far for me its beetween 30 to 60 feet. My camera its a GX1. And I Use the word konica as a reference of what i mean cheap. Im open to any suggestion and thanks for your answers

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8.

konica_hexanon_85mm_1,8_web.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Something in the 75-85mm range would probably be about what you want for this distance range, although a 50-60ish f/1.4 might be more cost-effective and may deliver what you want.

The Konica 85/1.8 is difficult to find for less than $200 so it depends on what "cheap" means to you. You can find a decent Minolta 58/1.4 for $75 or less. You can also find a 58/1.4 from Konica for around that price range.

One sort of under the radar choice you might consider is a c-mount 75/1.4. There are at least a couple of different options, marketed under the names Computar, Cosmicar, Navitar and Pentax.

7. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I think he said rave party - and that means he can walk right up to the DJ if he wants to, I think a cheap 50mm f1.4 would be perfect, or even f1.8. Maybe a a fast 28mm not sure if there is one in the cheap range and f1.4 - f1.8

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There are 28mm f/2.0 lenses from various manufacturers available but I think you would get better performance (and AF) from something like the Sigma 30/2.8 which you can probably pick up for around the same price.

Since he said 30-60 feet, though, I think that I'd tend toward the 50-85mm focal length.

9. makatc

makatc New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks to all. Redalien got a perfect point of view. I will look for a 50mm 1.4 or a minolta 57 1.4.
    I know ebay I can find the lens also in this forum but what other site I can find it?

10. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I found a nice 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar (Pentax) for $35 on Craigslist.

Just saw this Konica Hexanon AR f1.4 50mm lens. http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/3771530791.html $40 asking

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Kinda depends on where you are located.

KEH is worth consideration if you want no hassle. You'll pay a small premium over the best prices on the auction sites, but you'll get a lens that has been very conservatively graded, so there will be no surprises on the condition.

If you feel that 50mm gives you enough reach, then I'd look at the Canon FD 50/1.4 or the Pentax Takumar 50/1.4.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Rave parties should be about the people attending, not so much the stage. At least that's how I would shoot one.

A fast 50/1.4 would work. But manual focusing on a GX1 at a dance party doesn't sound too good to me. I would save for a Panny 20mm 1.7 or Oly 45mm 1.8 to be honest.