1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

good cheap half case for the gf1?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by back alley, Mar 30, 2010.

1. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i'm finding that holding on to the gf1 is a challenge, if i want to hold onto the small 'grip'.
    what are people using for a nice but cheap grip?
    i know there are some nice ones out there bit i don't want one for 50 or 80 bucks.

joe

2. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    am i the only cheap one here?

;)

3. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    get one of the skins they make for it. I have the SGP deep black skin and it made handling the camera easier because it isn't as slick anymore.

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    get the Olympus Eveready case for 50 usd and use the bottom only the leather was metal within and can be bent to the exact profile of the gf1s grip

i use 2 cases for my ep1 and gf1, if your handy you can modify the case grip for an even more substantial grip

case1.

[​IMG]

5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

That's a pretty cool solution cosinaphile. Couple of questions though - does the tripod screw fit in place for the GF1 and how is access to the back panel controls? And is it nice and snug? Could you maybe post another picture?

6. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i ordered a cover from aki but in the meantime i used some leftover 'griptac' from camera leather on the thumb grip and right front of the body. works well, looks so-so.

7. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    he oly eveready case was designed without a hole or threaded piece to connect case and camera thru the botom via tripod screw hole, , instead there are silicone circles on the swede like interior of the case this makes the case snug and unlikely to fall off in normal use.. as the strap lugs and neck strap for the gfi and ep1 play no part in the case which slips up snugly to the lugs but does not engage them a tripod socket is not a must on the case.... the camera is still supported by the straps.

the case simply absorbs the bumps and handling while on tables orf swinging around your neckand basicall keeps the bottom plate, etc from getting nicked up in normal use . the top and bottom of the case have sturdy snap closures , one on the base and 2 on the lower sides... left and right

the case top and bottom can be used together if a small enuf lens is mounted and snapped closed with the 3 snap closures... it works with the oly kit zoom 14 -42 on either camera with the 17 2.8 on either camera and short lenses like the 15 voigtlander or 50 f2 jupiter russian lens with adapter , most other lens\ camera combos are too large to allow the snaps to reach... the kit zoom from panny for instance is too long unfortunately.
    i modified my oly case by removing the male part of the snap closure on the base and drilling a hole for a tripod screw , i did this as part of a modification for my Contax g lenses to engage a larger "gear" attached to the case bottom to increase manual focusing speed

personally i usually dont use both halves simultaneously usually just the bottom and i feel it offers good protection ast a decent price

if you plan on using the full case on a gf1 with a 20 1.7 i suspect it will fit without issue
    as that is a short lens

• Like Like x 1
  8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I use the official Panasonic one - got it from ebay with the 20mm cover for about 50 quid.

Looks great now that my "Lumix" and "GF1" are covered with an SPG skin.

9. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i don't really like cases but if it would help in handling and if it were cheap enough then i would try it.
    i use wrist straps and small bags to carry my gear. the gf1 with 20 and the g1 with 14-140 both fit snugly into a domke 5xb. i use after market hoods (smaller than oem).

10. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i like the feel of the oly case on both machines less fearful of dropping.... its nice and snug no floppiness , and its still a small camera with the case mounted

11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    The half cases makes the GF1 handle better IMHO, and makes me less worried about it being bashed about :)