1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

good camera for a tough cam platform?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by soulofoto, Mar 14, 2014.

1. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi lads,

I am looking for a good camera to use for a tough camera platform. I am looking for better pic quality than a tough point and shoot or even the Nikon AW1...but I wonder, is there any Oly, Fuji or Panny that has tough camera accessories? I like the silicone sock for the Nikon. How about the Oly EP5?

Before you say " Why don't you just buy a tough camera?", I have looked and have not seen one compelling model as far as foto IQ.

Are any cameras in the $300-$600 that can be fortified a bit and have removable lenses and IS? I don't want to throw any money at cheap stuff that I drop or can't take out in weather or to the beach...and I would like something less than an EM1 to get the mu43 ball rolling with a little less fear of ruining the camera...

and if you have an idea for one of the newer used magnesium body cameras that are better IQ and tough....let's hear it!

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I dunno that Nikon AW1 seems quite a good thing, serious design.

Personally I'd fortify my own, select the right non-extending lens and then reinforce the whole lot with hybrid silicone/PU additions.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Agreed. I've taken photos with the V1 that have been published full-page and larger.

4. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    you would recommend the Nikon AW1 over a used EM5?...I do not need to dive with the camera, although full water immersion is cool...

I do not see favorable IQ reviews of the AW1

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Maybe wrong price...

6. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

AW1 is fully submersible.
    EM5 is not submersible.

AW1 can be dropped.
    EM5 cannot be dropped.

EM5 and AW1 will have similar IQ in good light.
    EM5 will have better IQ in low light/high ISO

EM5 will have more lenses to choose from, although not many are weather resistant.
    Still, M43 has more weather resistant lenses than Nikon 1 system.

Another alternative to the EM5 is a Pentax K-30 and K-50 DSLRs with weather-sealed lenses. Still not as tough as the AW1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The E-M5 has a 'floating' sensor for its 5-axis stabilisation : I would put that about last on a list of potentially tough sensor units,
    what aspect of IQ are you gunning for, and would an older fixed-sensor model perhaps last longer?

My old e-P1 has been dropped a few times with pancake 17mmF2.8 lens, it is still working right ... I would ruggedise that model+lens if I needed something tough. The high-ISO IQ is poor though, compared to modern sensors, is that the IQ of which you speak?

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I see plenty of good enough shots. https://www.flickr.com/groups/2277243@N25/

IMO, the AW1 compromised, but so is m4/3, and APS-c. Can't stand skin texture and tonality on smaller sensor camera's. But I'm extremely picky, and notice the smear compared to larger sensors. I can guarantee most people won't care.

Try Pentax, if the AW1 isn't your cup of tea, bomb proof is another name for Pentax.

10. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    yes, I would like image stabilization (in body preferably so I can use old adapted lenses) and high iso-low light capabilities... I may go ahead and get the Nikon AW1 if I see good deal....and continue saving for an EM1 or EM5

what model Pentax would you recommend?

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What is this mysterious toughened camera going to be doing ... and why keep on about E-M5/E-M1 ?

12. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I am totally underwhelmed by these Nikon 1 AW1 photos... sorry mate

I have been looking at Pentax all day... I cannot see much difference in build quality or specs and price that would lead me away from Olympus...are the Pentax cameras built that well?

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What does it need to be toughened to do?

14. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I want a camera with very good image quality (better than point and shoot) that can survive weather, sand and numerous drops. I do not plan to go diving so water immersion ability is not critical. Shockproof is critical. If I can purchase a well built camera and somehow fortify the platform, that will work.

15. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The Nikon 1 system (I have the V1) has decidedly better image quality than a point and shoot and is the only current camera that I know of that meets your price, weather, and shock requirements.

If your definition of IQ is thin DOF though, you'll have to get a larger sensor camera and fortify it. It will be big.

The camera you want doesn't seem to exist.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I would definitely go for something with absolutely no in-body stabilisation : who knows what repeated shocks could do to a 'floating' sensor arrangement. (Maybe also not so nice for a DSLR, having the mirror etc.)
    That rules out the Olympii and the GX7
    How about a Sigma Merrill?

The Sony A7 looks quite tough, having avidly read a nice take-apart from that website that does that thing ... you can tell I forget the name.

17. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    well...those Sigmas are interesting cameras...I do not see that they are weather sealed, though...

I think you are right....

Possibly a different strategy...If you were going to buy a used camera with very good IQ that might be somewhat toughened... which one would it be...possibly body only in the 200-300 USD dollar range used price...

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    They're not weather sealed, have terrible battery life and relatively poor AF and substandard high ISO performance. I still kinda want one because of the stunning quality I've seen out of the base ISO shots, but not as a primary camera.