1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good camera/electronics shops in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore? How are the prices there?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, Feb 4, 2015.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi all,

So, I was all set to pick up some camera gear in the next couple of weeks as I was going to head over to Japan, but I found some killer plane tickets to Kuala Lumpur, so I changed my plans.

I'm mainly looking to pick up a PL25 and a GoPro Hero3+ or a Sony action cam.

How are the prices in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore? Is it easy to get this stuff? I Googled camera shops in Singapore, and searched their sites (about a dozen of them!) and did not find a SINGLE one that had a listing for the PL25!

Are there any good big electronics stores where I may have some luck?

Thanks!
    T

2. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    We have quite a few shops here in Singapore. All located in a mall call Funan Center.

You can check out these few shops. Do drop them a message to ask about the price and availablilty:

SLR Revolution
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/SLR-Revolution/169995617491

Alan Photo
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alan-Photo-SG/236788585215

TK Foto
    https://www.facebook.com/tkfoto?rf=200130086664989

Click
    https://www.facebook.com/clickcamerashop

There is also a pretty popular 2nd hand lens forum here call Clubsnap
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Hope these help.

Happy hunting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you! Ha...I actually bumped into Clubsnap during my searches! I'll see what they have. I checked one or two on your list, but a bunch are new on there...thanks a lot!

While I've got you here...how many days would you suggest for Singapore? Any cool secret spots? Must-see things I may not have heard about? I mainly do a lot of walking around, exploring, taking pictures and love city scapes, architecture, anything historical, etc... :)

Thanks a lot again!

4. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    Most welcome.

Personally, i feel a 2-3 days short trip here should be enough to cover key areas.

As for must see spots, personally, i feel these are interesting places:
    - Gardens by the bay & the Marina Bay Sands area:
    for scenic photos of Singapore's urbanisation and landscape shoots

- Arab Street / Haji Lane / Dempsey Hill (Check out this place call White Rabbit. Its a restaurant in a church like building):
    for street photography and architecture shoots

- Chinatown:
    If you are here in the next few weeks, you can check out how Singapore celebrate the Chinese Lunar New Year and Chinatown will be all light up during this festive season:
    for street photography

- Orchard Road (maybe too touristy for you). its our main shopping belt:
    for street photography

- Hort Park / Macritchie Reservoir / Sentosa Island. these places are pretty good for the sunset sun rise shots
    for landscape shoots

These are places i personally find are interesting. I am sure others can chip in with better locations.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like Like x 1
  5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    You, my friend....are awesome!!! Thank you so much, they all look great...all tagged on the map and ready to go!! :D If you think of anything else, please let me know, I like the way you think! :D

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks again for all your suggestions! I went to most of them (and to a few that weren't on your list...the East Coast Park and Fort Canning Park were veay pleasant surprises!)...I absolutely loved Singapore! I really didn't want to leave. I originally went for 3 days (intending to return to Malaysia for a few days on some beach to relax), but ended up extending my trip to 6 days in Singapore (before having to leave so I could make it back to Korea in time for work haha). I'm seriously thinking of seeing if there are any jobs for me out there! :)

7. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    glad u like it here.

Do share some of the photos u took!

8. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    In KL I have always found the best range and best prices at www.ylcamera.com.my

You can always get a better price than on their website. Their used gear is always very good too.

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks! :D I will share some photos, though it may be a little while...I've lived in Korea for 4 years and I'm leaving in 4 weeks...things are a bit hectic! :D

Thanks, I checked them out, but wasn't finding any super great deals. I really wanted a GoPro, which I ended up getting for a good price here in Korea before I left (and then not using it the whole time I was gone haha).