good buy or outdated

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by scottyboy, Nov 29, 2015.

1. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    found a oly. em5 limited edition bundle. includes camera ,17mmf/1.8 lens ,battery grip,grip strap , xtra battery.$599.00. good buy or outdated using a Panasonic g3 now.thanks ,scott
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Jump on it. Excellent deal. A former G3 user, the EM5 is superior in just about every way
  3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  4. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    I would say that is a great deal. As far as it being "outdated" I would contest that just a few years ago that camera was Olympus' flagship. Many folks bought that camera at full price. Many folks created wonderful images with that camera. Do the newer cameras with more feature take away from the E-M5's ability to make images? I say no. But ultimately it is your decision.
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    It's not a bad deal, and the EM5 is weather-resistant, but you might be better off considering a newer model such as an EM10, EM10 II, or EM5 II.

Here's a limited time EM10 offer on Nothing fancy, but a good basic kit. It has 3-axis IBIS vs 5-axis in the EM5, but has a higher resolution viewfinder and built-in flash plus hotshoe. Not weather-sealed, but neither is the 17mm f1.8 lens nor the two kit lenses in this one. The kit lenses are pretty good, and the 40-150 R is an especially good deal.
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The E-M5 is a great camera and not dated in any way. It's not a crazy steal or anything.....the camera can usually be found for around $300-$350.....not sure what the lens is worth.
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If image capture quality is the main criteria then an E-M5 is still great. The sensor and IBIS are still effectively top of the line for Olympus (only the E-M5 Mk2 has better IBIS). Do you really need a battery grip though?
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Whilst the E-M5 has pretty much the same sensor, IBIS and IQ as most of the other OM-D cameras, there are differences that are significant:

- The firmware in the E-M5 is not being updated any further and there are several new and useful features in the more recent bodies - including live composite, better menus and controls (e.g. custom configs (mysets) assignable to the mode dial, one-press access to bracketing, lens IS priority, and zero-sec anti-shock mode). These aren't perhaps deal-breakers, but they're sure nice to have (esp the mode dial issue IMHO).

- The playback and Fn1 buttons on the E-M5 are small, spongy and slightly obscured by the LCD panel. As a back-button focuser, I find this probably the worst issue on the camera. The E-M10, E-M5ii and E-M1 are all much better in this regard.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Very good buy if it comes with a grip, strap and an extra Olympus battery. The 17 f/1.8 is a pretty pricy but very nice fast lens and the grip itself still in pretty high demand. The 16MP is still pretty current as well as the IBIS. The grip is nice if you plan to shoot for an extended period of time in the cold without needing to switch batteries as well as the side release switch.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Good buy. The EM-5 is still a very good camera. Bikehiker is right :2thumbs:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    It is outdated but it's a good price. You could always try it and if you didn't want to keep it, keep the lens and sell the body at a profit. So you get a free trial.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    You could try an Olympus that way and see if you prefer it to your G3. It will still take good photos, but newer cams have lots of improvements in features and the overall shooting experience.
  13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Great deal, even 17mm 1.8 used cost around $300, you can sell the grip for around $120-150 to save the cost.

EM5 I is about the same image quality like EM1/EM5II, and the 5 axis IBIS works great, I have both EM5 I & II, I don't see that much difference on IBIS, if you plan to use it years, it doesn't matter it's little old model.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    It's also weather sealed, I believe. If your G3 isn't, then you might want to use the EM5 in wetter conditions, like at the beach. Being a cheaper older cam would then work in your favour since you wouldn't be worried about it.
  15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I don't see it as either or.
    My cameras have all been good buys BECAUSE they're outdated!
    When something newer comes out the previous version is reduced or it just wouldn't sell. The further behind current tech it is the more it will be reduced, but that doesn't stop it from working just as well as when it was the latest thing.
    It's a great camera if it does what YOU want in photography then why pay any more?

Living on a fairly tight budget there have been times I would have found a newer camera a big advantage. When I got my Pentax K7 the K5 was available with hugely better low light performance (useful for some of my stuff) but it was £500 more. I had to make do without. :(
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter CyberMonday sale has started on reconditioned cameras. 20% off with CYBER20 code.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    excellent deal IMO.