1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Good brands, bad brands or individual lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by majordude, Dec 29, 2012.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I've been a fan of Zuiko lenses since 1982. I've also had a few great third party lenses.

But I've been out of the hobby/lifestyle for a decade now.

Are there certain brands to follow or avoid or is each lens to be judged on it's own merits regardless of the brand?

I've read good things about most Panasonic and almost all Panasonic-Leica's.

But I used to buy Tokina, Sigma... I just saw some Rokina or something.

Any advice?

(FYI: I have an OM-D on order. I understand that Olympus m43 lenses focus much faster on this body than other brands or even original 43 lenses.)

2. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    There's no reason to limit yourself to one brand. Judge each lens on its own merits. The Native Lens Sample Image forum is a godsend to get an idea of what lenses you might like.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Definitely a matter of individual lenses. No brand gets everything right ( or wrong) every time. Lots of lenses evaluated here on the site, and you can always ask for opinions. :cool:

4. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    In the m4/3rds world there are no brands to follow or avoid. Judge each lens individually. As a general rule though both Panasonic and Olympus pro-level lenses are extremely good, so you can't really go wrong with those.

Tokina only has one m4/3rds lens right now, and it isn't worth getting simply because it is a mirror lens. Same with Kenko. Sigma only has two and they are very good, but being designed for APS-C they are a bit larger than they really need to be. No reason to avoid them though as you get a lot of IQ for your $$.

The "Rokina" you saw is probably actually a "Rokinon". Rokinon is one of a few companies (Bower, Vivitar, etc.) that slaps their name on Samyang made lenses and resells them. Therefore none of these brands is better or worse than any other when it comes to their Samyang made lenses. Samyang lenses tend to vary from good, to insanely good. They have a couple lenses that for sharpness beat anything made by Canon or Nikon at the same focal length, and for less than half the price. So still consider each lens individually but be aware that Samyang made lenses can be a great way to get high IQ for a low price if you can deal with the all-manual nature.

Panasonic and Olympus lenses both AF extremely well on the E-M5 so there is no need to stick with Olympus. And original 4/3rds lenses do indeed AF slowly on all m4/3rds cameras for a variety of reasons. I would skip them for now. There is rumor that a new camera will be coming out soon (possibly this year) that will AF 4/3rds lenses at full speed. But if you are using an E-M5 that does you no good, so don't bother with them.

• Like Like x 1