Good Book for G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by row1x, Mar 18, 2012.

1. row1x

row1x New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2012
    Rockford, IL
    Does any one know if a user guide has been written for the Panny G3? The Panny manual is as clear as mud. Thanks

John

2. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    The CD with the camera has the full manual. Don,t think there is anything to difficult to understand.There are loads of people on here to help if you get stuck.

3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

John,

You are quite right about the manual. To those who are obsessed with technology, it might be OK, but to someone wanting to apply a basic knowledge of photography to getting good results from a new G3, it might as well be written in Aramaic.

It takes the simplest things and makes them complicated and opaque to understand. It need not be this way; photography is basically a simple pastime and it does not need to be made so complex.

What is needed is something like a "Magic Lantern" guide. Similar guides were also published by Hove Books in the UK. They were written with photography and photographers in mind, rather than technophiles who thrive on masses of complication and myriad adjustments.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any suitable book. If there was a Magic Lantern or Hove Books guide to the G3, I would buy it in an instant. For now, all we have is that wretched manual. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, as Neon says, feel free to ask any questions on here. There are more people in your position than you might think.

4. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I also wish that there were such a book available! The G3 manual is not very satisfactory.

5. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I find the various online reviews to be very helpful in determining what the actual settings DO

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    row1x, what difficulties are you having exactly? As Neon says, the full manual should be able to help to to apply any setting, and there are people here to help otherwise. Are you familiar with photography in general? Do you understand exposure, aperture, ISO, etc? Because all of these are general principles of photography and are universal, regardless of camera. And, to build off of ~tc~'s post, a google search will usually answer any question you have, as you're likely not the first person to have a particular question or issue with a particular idea or setting.

8. row1x

row1x New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2012
    Rockford, IL
    In response to some of my posts.

In an effort to answer some of the questions individuals have asked please see below:
    I did see the post about the G2 book, I just had a fleeting hope that there was one specifically for the G3. I will order the G2 for my kindle.

I used to shoot a lot of photography with old Contax bodies and 80's vintage German Zeiss lenses. In HS, I worked in the darkroom and had a lot of fun. However with digital, my only experience up until now is with a Canon A700. I have done little or no PP. I purchased G3 and the 14-140 used from two separate individuals. I have a B+W UV and Cir Pol filters. I am thinking of adding the Oly 9-18 soon as I am going to Yosemite this June.

I find the manual says how to change some settings but little as to what they do or mean. I have set the camera to shoot both raw and highest jpeg.

Presently I find most of my photos are underexposed 1/3 stop and bright sun in snowy conditions are 1 stop underexposed. I am uncertain how to best adjust for the 1/3 and the occasional 1 stop underexposed. I usually have it set on P with the histogram showing. I sometimes use auto everything.

I am also uncertain about AE/AL. I push the shutter down 1/2 way and the green box goes away and am uncertain if the focus is locked or not.

That is a start. I do want to thank everyone for your help.

John

9. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The G2 and G3 have similarities but also differences. I'm not sure the G2 book will be all that helpful, but if it's cheap...

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How to adjust the exposure through exposure compensation is explained well in the manual. After making a half press to get the metering, push in the thumbwheel, and when the exposure compensation scale is yellow, turn the wheel to set the desired compensation.

I agree that in general, the G3 tends to underexpose, and I've dialed in +1/3 or 2/3 EV pretty much constantly.

AE/AL can be set to work a number of ways, but the simplest IMHO is to half press for focus/metering, keep it held at the half press, recompose, and full press.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Both the manual and the GF1 book I got do a seriously poor job of this.

The online reviews cover these things MUCH better.

12. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    The best book for you is actually written for the G2 BUT 95% of it applies to the G3 too.
    The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide by Brian Matsumoto Ph.D and Carol F. Roullard (22 Feb 2011)

Available on Amazon. Brilliant book.

Phil:2thumbs:

13. row1x

row1x New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2012
    Rockford, IL
    Book for G3

Thanks for the suggestion for the G2 book. I ordered it for my Kindle as it was under $10. I loaned my Kindle to a friend so i can't wait to get it back.

John

14. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I was planning on writing a G3 Review from a camera novice's perspective, but this post inspired me to make a full on guide along with the review, since this camera deserves one and probably needs it more than most other M4/3 buttons due to the fact that it has a lot of power that's somewhat difficult to figure out intuitively thanks to the lack of buttons and downsizing from the G2.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've never gotten why people are so unwilling to sit down with an instruction book and just work through it, whether it's with their new $600 camera or their new $50,000 car. It's basically a lens with a computer behind it.

16. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    That's nonsense. The G3 manual is a droning list of bullet points that are all technically correct but impossible to comprehend in straight through reading. I've read the G3 manual front to back twice, it's still a piece of trash in my opinion.

Greg

17. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Right. Although certainly plenty never bother with the manual, I feel most people who are willing to buy a dedicated book on the camera have already tried the manual. Another thing to consider is that instruction manuals tend to not mention flaws in the camera and how to potentially overcome them. For example, no DoF control in video? Perhaps try an adapted manual lens.

Btw, I find it extremely annoying that I can't manual focus on native lenses without holding down the shutter button on the G3 unless I'm in MF mode. It's absurd to me. It's strange usability issues like that which make me want to return to Olympus, which seems to be more logical in their designs.

18. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    I find my G3 manual (and all the Olympus dSLR manuals I had previously) to be a comprehensive list of all the settings on my camera and where they are found. What it doesn't tell me is what effect all these things are going to have on my photographs (and I'm not talking about the obvious basics like aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc.). The manual may be fine for those who understand what all these things do but is probably less so for those who don't. Maybe Panasonic, or someone else, needs to produce a generic glossary explaining what all the functions mean?

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - I still don't understand what iDynamic and iResolution do

• Like Like x 1
  20. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK