1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Good auto lens cap for Lumix 12-32?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by urcindalo, Jun 8, 2015.

1. urcindalo

urcindalo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Almería, Spain
    I just bought a Lumix 12-32 lens for my upcoming OM-D E-M10 body, and I'd like to couple the former with an auto lens cap.

Does anyone know if the dedicated JJC ALC-P1232 causes any vignetting? http://www.ebay.es/itm/JJC-Auto-Ope...81?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d54d92a2d

I also read the "Olympus LC-37C Auto Open Lens Cap" fits the Lumix 12-32, too:

1) http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/must-have-lens-cap-for-sony-and-mft.html

2) Reviews in http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...H5pkCKhm-pN4BOxBsty9I4UGrauPW2aqG4aAorW8P8HAQ

3) I found this interesting YouTube video which seems to feature an Olympus LC-37C lens cap onto the 12-32:

Am I right? If all this were true, then the "JJC Z-O14-42 self-retaining auto lens cap", the JJC replacement for the Olympus LC-37C, could be a cheap option for the 12-32.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I bought the JJC 12-32 and found it difficult to attach to the lens, fiddly to use and overall cheaply constructed. I have used JJC hoods on many lenses and found them admirable, but this was a waste of money.

I then bought the following (link in german):
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00VMVYD2W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

This should be available where you are, and may be the same as the JJC 14-42. It screws into the filter threads and works perfectly. Hope this helps.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I use the Oly LC-37C on mine. Slight vignetting wide open, auto corrected in jpegs, simple enough to fix in RAW.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    JJC Z-O14-42 seems just like the typical clone of the LC-37C. Had I seen one before I got mine I probably would have given the JJC a shot.

6. urcindalo

urcindalo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Almería, Spain
    Thanks everyone for the input.
    Can anyone show a wide open picture taken with the JJC Z-O14-42 or LC-37C cap on? I don't like vignetting.
    On the other hand I don't like my lens front element being accidentaly hit, either, so I'd like to use my current slim 37mm clear filter as a protector (which happens to provide an extra thread), but I guess attaching the LC-37C to the filter would only make things worse vignetting-wise.
    Do you know if the JJC ALC-P1232 causes any vignetting, apart from being cheap and poor quality? The possibility of using it with a filter is tempting, and it also seems the filter may help in this case to reduce any vignetting (?) by extending the cap "corners" a little bit farther from the lens.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    One thing I know people have done with the LC-37C is file / sand back the rings a little. There was a thread over on DPReview about it as I recall.

8. allanb

allanb New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Just received the JJC Z-014-42 auto lens cap after junking their ALC-P1232 cap for the same reason that urchindalo commented about it earlier. It's well made (non plasticity), doesn't have the "wings" that the equivalent Olympus has and simply screws onto the tip of the lens itself even with my UV filter attached there as well. On their product packaging they quote among other features "no vignetting will be caused." Haven't put that to the test as yet, however.

Here's the thing: I paid $25.69 in Australian dollars for their Z cap including mailing it to me here in Sydney whereas Olympus Australia wanted $50 for their LC cap! Happy as Larry as we say downunder.