Good 85~ish manual focus lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Hyubie, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hello -

I am looking for a $150~ish 85mm (or so) manual lens. I'm looking at the usual suspects (Canon FD and Rokinon 85mm), but I can't find much images on them. Anyone have any experience with those lenses? Or, can you suggest another lens within that price limit? :smile:

Thanks.

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I really like FD lenses and really liked the 85mm f1.8 that was $130 or so. However, I found the detail and color rendering of the Konica Hexanon AR 85mm f1.8 demonstrably better from f1.8 to f5.6. Cheapest I've seen one go for on the ebayz is $200....$275 is average.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The $150 may be an issue - I think you are more likely to see them in the $250 - $400 range. I just picked up a Minolta 85/2 myself in the middle of that price range. It is an incredibly sharp lens. I found some good tests with the whole range of Minolta 85 here: The Rokkor Files - Battle of the 85mm's

The Jupiter 85 might be available in that range - several people here use it and generally give it good marks.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I just bought s Samyang 85mm 1.4 for less than $300 on eBay. I haven't received it yet but very good reviews for it IQ wise. It's more than what you're willing to spend but it is new and regarded to be bang for the buck :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Thanks everyone. That's what I thought too - I might have to go to about $250-ish.

Please post pics once you get it!

6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I tried the Samyang(Rokinon) for $220 used. Very good performer. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't feel as large and heavy as I had thought. I did find that the focal length/speed combination was something that presently I would use only rarely.

Here's something that I stumbled upon that might be of interest. The price is definitely right. Smaller than the Samyang.

Portrait Lens CAMDIOX 85mm f/2.0 for Nikon F D7000 D3X | eBay

and a review.
    Odd camdiox 85mm f2 ebay lens - PentaxForums.com

• Like Like x 1
  7. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Will do :)

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure how far from 85mm you are wanting to stray with that "~ish", but I've recently found a [thread=29016]C-mount 75mm f/1.4[/thread] that is pretty decent and should fit within your budget. It's not a particularly easy lens to find, but they pop up from time to time. I bought mine a few weeks ago on everyone's favorite auction site for less than $70. If you don't want to wait and search, it's available here for $139 (search on the page for "Computar TV"). I've seen it with either Computar or Navitar branding. It's a bit soft at 1.4 (which might be desirable for portraits), but it sharpens up nicely at f/2 and above.

There are similarly spec'd lenses marketed under the [thread=29684]Cosmicar[/thread] and Pentax brands, but these appear to me to be of a slightly different design. They might be worth a look, but I don't have any experience with them.

What are you looking to use the lens for? Portraits? Macro?

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Here is the Minolta 85/2 I just got. 49mm filter so it is a small diameter which is why I went for it.

1070824-L.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    I'll throw another option in here...see if you can find a Pentax SMC-M 85mm f/2. This is a FANTASTIC lens. I used to have one and can kick myself for selling it sometimes. Very sharp, beautiful bokeh and it's also one of the more compact 85mm's you'll see. They're a bit hard to find sometimes but worth a little effort...you can usually find them in the $200 range.

Overall, definitely my favorite 85 I've ever used.

11. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There's also the Nikon 85/1.8 (H, HC or K). Can be had for as low as $160 or so. Nice rendition IMO, but does suffer a bit from flare.

DH

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The Olympus OM 85 f2 is a very nice lens, but more than twice what you want to spend. Don't you hate budget constraints?

14. johnc

johnc Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2011
    If you're also into macro photography (or would like to be), the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 might be worth checking out (it's known as "the Portrait Macro lens"). They (either the 49mm 52B or the 55mm 52BB) seem to be going for between $150-$200 (I was lucky to get mine for much less as part of a garage sale package deal). Needs a lens hood as it's quite prone to flare.

5392158409_c56c388324.

^click^

15. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I've received the 85 Rokinon but just couldn't get the chance to shoot decent subjects. I can say though that it's a challenge to focus manually. It is quite sharp wide open.

Build quality is good but the label is not flush (it's a refurb) and from f/11 to f/22 the aperture blades are not perfectly aligned but I don't see any negative effect on images.

Still waiting for the nd filter I bought so I could shoot wide open in bright daylight :)

16. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Thanks everyone for the inputs! I went with the Rokinon 85mm via Amazon Warehouse deals - I figured it's probably the best bang for the buck in 85mm right now, so it's a good way to get into this focal length.